Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Mechanised Equipment

Bronezhilet

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like russian army buys trash again... The idea of armored buldozers is fine, IDF used them with great success... However... Why russia buys the worst, most primitive, obsolete dozer available??? Chelyabinsk dozers are shitty, barely more than slightly "modernized" variants of ancient T-130 and 170. On the other hand, Chetra, another russian firm manufactures really modern machines in much larger variety. T-25 model is the equivalent of the Cat D9. Why army chose trash when there were far superior domestic alternatives?

scale_600

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2019/05/blog-post.html

• 1 month later...

At the Army-2019 International Military-Technical Forum held in the Moscow region, a set of new minelayers made on the basis of tracked and wheeled vehicles, created as part of the Klesh'-G (Tick-G) development work, were declassified.

/.../includes three vehicles. The heaviest of them is the mine layer UMZ-G on the tracked base chassis. Its design is widely used units and aggregates of T-72 and T-90. Its weight is 43,500 kg.

/.../

There are 9 special launchers installed in the armored body that allow for high-speed remote mining. There are 270 cassettes in them. The min shooting range is from 40 m. The mining speed is 40 km/h. The maximum speed of the UMP-G is 60 km/h. For self-defense there is a 12.7 - mm machine gun 6P49  "Kord". Crew - 2 people.

When designing the UMZ-K medium version, an Asteys armored car was used. Its weight is 18,700 kg. The number of cassettes reduced to 180. The firing range of mines is the same as that of the tracked variant. The maximum speed of movement on the highway increased - up to 100 km / h. Mining speed remained same. The crew is also 2 people.

The most compact machine of this kit is made on the basis of "Typhoon VDV". It weighs 14,500 kg, equipped with 60 cassettes. The maximum speed is 100 km/h. Crew-2 people.

Copy-pasted from otvaga

G20PxLz.jpg

Spoiler

1KD0iHk.jpg

SYP68Jw.jpg

35MfWD0.jpg

Spoiler

nNCL6LR.jpg

K6Tk63g.jpg

orSwlvb.jpg

Spoiler

sr2fc7c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, TokyoMorose said:

Seems like uprating the 1790 would be far less work.

Upgrading the AVDS in the current year is a bit problematic. The owners of the old Continental Motors IP are currently L3 technologies, who do not seem to have a good handle on R&D for this property. As a point of fact, they offer no growth options that werent available before they bought out Continental.

10 hours ago, TokyoMorose said:

Seems like uprating the 1790 would be far less work.

Yes, but wouldnt it come with shortened engine life, as happened with the V92 diesels?  There is a point after which if you incrase performance, you pay with sharply falling reliability and life.

Also, CAT engines are extremely durable and very modern, even if a bit heavy. They run thousands of hours in construction/mining equipment.

2 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Upgrading the AVDS in the current year is a bit problematic. The owners of the old Continental Motors IP are currently L3 technologies, who do not seem to have a good handle on R&D for this property.

As a point of fact, they offer no growth options that werent available before they bought out Continental.

Does it also concern the AVDS-1790 1500 HP ?

https://www2.l3t.com/cps/products/1500_hp.htm

https://archive.org/stream/AVDS17901500HP/AVDS 1790 1500 HP?ui=embed#mode/2up

56 minutes ago, Sovngard said:

Does it also concern the AVDS-1790 1500 HP ?

I think that's post-buyout, but it also appears to be not entirely developed*, and certainly never built in any numbers.

*For reference, it smells to me like a semi-finished development program which requires a partner for full development testing and fielding. If it were fully developed I'd expect it to be shilled as a "simple cheap ready" part of upgrade packages.

14 hours ago, N-L-M said:

I think that's post-buyout, but it also appears to be not entirely developed*, and certainly never built in any numbers.

*For reference, it smells to me like a semi-finished development program which requires a partner for full development testing and fielding. If it were fully developed I'd expect it to be shilled as a "simple cheap ready" part of upgrade packages.

I would argue it was finished, the GDLS brochure linked by Sovngard stated that the pre-production engine fully completed testing and verification, and offered the engine for sale for refit immediately. No mention in the pitch of any future work needed. I'd also argue it's important that L3 has kept the engine listed for sale even after several website total redesigns (in other words, it wasn't just carried over from back when the pitch was first being made) - and given that L3 has the MTU883 license it would make little sense for them to still (barebones, admittedly) market it if unfinished. The 883 is better in every way.

17 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Yes, but wouldnt it come with shortened engine life, as happened with the V92 diesels?  There is a point after which if you incrase performance, you pay with sharply falling reliability and life.

Also, CAT engines are extremely durable and very modern, even if a bit heavy. They run thousands of hours in construction/mining equipment.

I do not doubt the quality of the C32 ACERT, the HP rating chosen isn't even the highest rating so it'll run forever. But I don't recall the Israelis having too many issues with their AVDS-1790-9ARs of a very similar power rating, it seems to be the 1500HP variant detuned to the same 1350HP (which seems to be chosen for a reason perhaps gearing wise, as the C32 ACERT is listed as up to 1800hp in hottest, shortest-use tuning) would have no issues at all.