Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Mechanised Equipment

Bronezhilet

9 hours ago, TokyoMorose said:

pre-production engine fully completed testing and verification

Working prototype to production is a non negligible step.

The 883 is better in every way.

Other than the refit market for vehicles using the AVDS already, yes. The MTU engine is sufficiently different in shape to make integration into AVDS tailored spaces... annoying. Boat-hulled Pattons come to mind.

I'm not absolutely sure the thing isnt fully production ready, just smells to me like it.

If it is indeed fully ready, then yes L3 has managed to develop one AVDS upgrade since they bought the IP and plant.

But I don't recall the Israelis having too many issues with their AVDS-1790-9ARs of a very similar power rating, it seems to be the 1500HP variant detuned to the same 1350HP

Just guessing, maybe because 1350hp is the max performance possible without reliability and engine life degradation? 

11 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Just guessing, maybe because 1350hp is the max performance possible without reliability and engine life degradation? 

This is going to be a guess here, but I'd say the most likely reason is transmission cooling. The X-1100 is capable of 1500hp with Abrams-level engine bay cooling but the Patton simply doesn't have as much cooling capacity. The engine/transmission powerpack is most likely being limited due to the combined limits of ventilation in the patton hull.

11 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Other than the refit market for vehicles using the AVDS already, yes. The MTU engine is sufficiently different in shape to make integration into AVDS tailored spaces... annoying. Boat-hulled Pattons come to mind.

That's very true, but the C32 is very different in form to the AVDS as well. The C32 choice just baffles me.

• 2 weeks later...

Luhansk military showing their MOP "Derzhatel" ("Holder")

C5r3zDd.jpg

Water obsticle crossing support vehicle MOS "Holder" based on PTS-3. It has a fully armored hull, equipped with an excavator, hydraulic monitor, bulldozer equipment, a winch and motor drills, a device for launching smoke grenades. The presence of such complex equipment allows us to carry out a large list of tasks for equipping crossings (preparing exits and entries, towing (evacuating) military equipment that got stuck on the crossing, digging out trenches and crevices, preparing shores for building floating bridges, drilling pits when exploring frozen soils by explosive method , installation of smoke screens, lifting operations, etc.)

Older photos

Spoiler

0OzKWT6.jpg

tW2apOr.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Installation of a heavy mechanized bridge TMM-3M2 during the tactical and special exercises of the engineer-sapper regiment of the Southern Military District in the Krasnodar Territory.

zlvpSuD.jpg

Spoiler

yEEO56O.jpg

pf59pWl.jpg

rf0SFRN.jpg

GLDwH9F.jpg

BnCnbAl.jpg

iNZnH7L.jpg

VvKrsQS.jpg

Making a bridge in 2 easy steps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

When You posted this vehicle... do you know guys this thing? It's firefighting tank SPOT-55 based on T-55 chassis and produced by VOP-25 factory (now only VOP) in Czechoslovakia since 1991 (and Czechia after 1993 split). This tank has been in active use in basically every major fire in our country (forest fires, ammo dump accidents, chemical and ammo plant accidents etc.). It's big advantage is that it's optionally manned and can be operated remotely up to 1500 meters from the operator. Unfotunately I don't know how many were built but at least two are also in Saxony, Germany. 

Technical data and many photos here (use google translate).

20 hours ago, Beer said:

When You posted this vehicle... do you know guys this thing? It's firefighting tank SPOT-55 based on T-55 chassis and produced by VOP-25 factory (now only VOP) in Czechoslovakia since 1991 (and Czechia after 1993 split).

Yep, this is a crazy good vehicle! I read about it a while ago in an article, if I remember well, it said only a few were built. These are very very useful vehicles. It has one disadvantage, it needs a trailer to quickly transport it to the site, but this is countered by its speed and maneuverability offroad. SPOT-55 proved its capabilities many times. In my opinion, it is much better to transform old and obsolete tanks to such vehicles than to scrap them. ARVs, and even bridgelayers are also especially useful in civilian roles.

A private firm here in hungary also operates some ex military vehicles, among them a quite exotic one, a BAT-M. It is actually the last of its kind here in working condition. Back then in 2014, it was waiting its fate of scrapping, when someone from the firm noticed it on a scrapyard. They bought the vehicle and totally restored it.

yc4ktkpTURBXy82YmY3MjUwODUyZmEyMzlhNDBkN

image.aspx?id=eada6d95-d4f7-492d-a47f-21

• 1 month later...

MoD and UVZ are preparing a contract for UBIM supply

Concern "Uralvagonzavod" (part of the state corporation "Rostec") is preparing a contract with the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation for the supply of the latest engineering vehicle UBIM.

Andrey Terlikov, General Director and Chief Designer of the Ural Design Bureau of Transport Engineering (UKBTM, part of the Uralvagonzavod concern of the Rostec state corporation), announced this to TASS at the IDEX-2021 international arms exhibition.   

“The tests of UBIM are over, the contract is being prepared. This is a very noticeable, multifunctional machine, created on the T-90M platform, ” Terlikov informed. According to him, it can perform the functions of a number of vehicles, including an engineering mine clearance vehicle and an armored recovery vehicle.

“UBIM is equipped with a wide range of engineering equipment and can be used in conditions of man-made disasters and for barring passages,” added Terlikov.

He noted that UBIM is a unique example of engineering technology. “We managed to optimally implement this functionality in a small vehicle. We hope that there will be interest in it, ”Terlikov said.

Belgian military ordered nearly 900 new AWD trucks which will have DAF logo but in fact they have Tatra chassis and around 350 of them will have Tatra armoured cabins as well. Non-armoured cabins will be DAF (the same as already used on standard Tatra Phoenix) and the engines will be Paccar/DAF. Gearbox probably Allison. The final assembly site is not mentioned but it will be likely Tatra. 

https://www.armadninoviny.cz/vozidla-tatra-pro-belgii.html

6035.jpg

daf_tatra_1b.jpg

pancerova_kabina_1b.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...