Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Meteorology Thread: Hector Lives

LostCosmonaut

Ophelia formed in the east Atlantic today.

5f8fe6c49ccd3839437d13b5ef49f65e2c001350

Although SSTs are marginal, colder than normal upper atmospheric temperatures are allowing deep convection to develop, and it is expected to become the 10th consecutive hurricane of the 2017 season.

Interestingly, a few of the model runs I've seen have it keeping a warm core surprisingly far east.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plenty on the ground here in the Midlands, the wind's picking up now and more's settling.....I feel a snow-kite day coming on!

PS - I'm actually slightly surprised we haven't seen at least some of the UK media attempting to blame Putin for the weather.....I guess they realise even the red-top readers aren't (quite) dumb enough to buy that one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The top story on weather.com right now is the developing noreaster.

The second story is "Northeast storm forecast, what could go wrong?"

Translation: we have no idea what the fuck, don't blame us when NYC gets 2 feet of snow

(I'm hoping they underestimated the snowfall totals and the Adirondacks and/or Southern Vermont get multiple feet of accumulation)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LostCosmonaut said:

Nate Banned!

Along with Harvey, Irma, and Maria.

That seems odd. Why not just wait a decade to use them? People would have mostly forgotten by then anyway.

Not that it matters. Soon we will see the rally-cries for more and more ethnic-sounding names. 

I for one am holding out for Tropical Storm Jamal. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In case you weren't already aware, hurricane season started early.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT1+shtml/280006.shtml

TNT61 KNHC 280006 TCUAT1 Subtropical Storm Alberto Tropical Cyclone Update NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL012018 700 PM CDT Sun May 27 2018 ..ALBERTO STRONGER... Reports from an Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter aircraft indicate that Alberto has strengthened and the maximum sustained winds are now 65 mph (100 km/h) with higher gusts. A special advisory will be issued within the hour. SUMMARY OF 700 PM CST...0000 UTC...INFORMATION ---------------------------------------------- LOCATION...28.3N 85.6W ABOUT 190 MI...305 KM W OF TAMPA FLORIDA ABOUT 105 MI...165 KM SSW OF APALACHICOLA FLORIDA MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...991 MB...29.26 INCHES $$ Forecaster Pasch

I don't know off the top of my head, but preseason hurricanes are pretty rare. Only one I remember without more research is Alex in 2016, and that was in January.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...