Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Xoon

Rheinmetall's New Tank Gun

On ‎2016‎/‎06‎/‎20 at 4:54 PM, Bronezhilet said:

German designs have a helical rib on the penetrator which prevents it from buckling or snapping too easily

Not entirely sure whether this is a German design (seeing the Asian text), but it does show the helical rib:

EUTzoUh.jpg

The characters are of the Hangul alphabet i.e. Korean. This here looks like a K-276 APFSDS-T, made out of specially-treated tungsten to allow less deformation upon penetration.

1 hour ago, Renegade334 said:

The characters are of the Hangul alphabet i.e. Korean. This here looks like a K-276 APFSDS-T, made out of specially-treated tungsten to allow less deformation upon penetration.

Do you know what "special treatment" it got?

Well, "treatment" might not have been the correct term. More like "forging process".

From what I hear it's some sort of multi-stage heating process that helps reinforce the long rod's tungsten and diminish deformation during the self-sharpening phase. The same trick was apparently applied to the K-279. And that's about all I know on the matter. :-/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Akula_941
      12 March fresh new video here
      just so many of good footage,praise the IRINN.IR

so,Karrar MBT aka T-90MS mod 2017 Iranian limited Edition 2.0
      Has finally have a bit long TV report,and what is this?

when i see this ‘barrel protective case’ thing,the only thing in my mind is
      "NO,T-72I4! It's him! He is Back!"

but after watch the video i pretty sure it's nothing but reference ~
      first noticed difference is the ERA kit

Karrar 'ERA kit is smaller, have 6 plate on each slide front
      compare to T-90MS 's 4 larger size Relikt ERA

the thickness of the ERA are pretty close so i guess it's just the smaller new Relikt variant

RCWS/Commander panoramic sight Station
      huge muzzle brake but it seems just a 7.62mm RCWS,but looks cool

also the sight itself looks a cheaper product compare to T-90MS

Digital map,commanding system and Vehicle information Display 
      this is pretty good, Karrar may have the best digital equipment in all Iranian tanks,not even Zulfiqar-3

normal vision channal of the commander sight

for the gunner,i noticed something interesting

now this is something new, the Karrar have a whole new gunner sight,so obviously the new gunner sighting system is not simply rip-off from russian
      but the really interesting thing is, it keeps the 1K13,which compare to T-90MS removed 1A45 completely and replaced by Sosna-U and a back up sight

why is this?  @Lightning think, that Iran hasn't prepare or able to create their own laser guide coding equipment,if they want to use 9K120 ATGM system,they need keep the 1K13 for laser coding
      which i found is a high possibility that could be true

karrar‘s gunner displayer compare to T-90MS

let's expect more information of this tank in the future

• By Collimatrix
      PELE (Penetrator with Enhanced Lateral Effectiveness) rounds are a new type of ordnance developed by Rheinmetall in the late nineties and early two thousands.

As the patent shows, they are similar in outward appearance to traditional long-rod penetrators, but are different in cross section:

The basic principle of a PELE is that the outer walls of the penetrator are made of a denser material than the core.  At the extremely high velocities that the penetrator strikes the target, density (rather than material strength) is one of the most important factors in determining penetration.  So the outer walls are able to penetrate the target, but the inner core is not.  The outer walls of the penetrator continue moving forward, which compresses the inner core.  This presentation from ATK has a helpful diagram:

As this Rheinmetall presentation shows, this gives much greater behind armor effect than a traditional long rod penetrator:

This new ammunition is available both in large-caliber and autocannon calibers.

Compared to traditional high explosive rounds, PELE rounds have the advantage that there is no explosive material in the penetrator.  This means that there is no UXO risk at training ranges.  Additionally, a tank with APFSDS and PELE ammunition types would be able to tackle most target types.  If the ammunition were two-piece, then the inert APFSDS and PELE penetrators could be stored in the turret while the propellant charges could be stored separately in isolation.  Britain's chieftain MBT used an ammunition stowage scheme like this, keeping inert APDS projectiles in the turret and propellant bags underneath the turret ring in wet ammunition containers.  An ammunition stowage scheme like this would have the advantages of isolated ammunition stowage, but would require a less bulky isolated section of the tank, which often adds to the silhouette of the vehicle (e.g. abrams' enormous turret bustle).

The biggest disadvantage of PELE compared to traditional high explosive rounds is that the rounds do not fragment unless they hit something hard.  As the presentations above show, the 120mm rounds will produce considerable fragmentation patterns after hitting something as light as 10mm of sheet metal, but they still need to hit something.  So airburst or proximity fused options are out.