Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Need identification

So I have a part of a shell laying on my desk, but I don't know what exactly it is from and I'm hoping one of you guys would know.

Took a picture of it laying next to a .50 BMG cartridge:

StOGpq2.jpg

All I have been told is that it's the AP insert of a 40 mm shell, but I have no idea what shell exactly.

It has this marking on the bottom:

N    (?)

S-804

Curious.  I think most modern stuff uses tungsten.

Well, the S-804 stamp got somebody really excited because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_O_24

And apparently they did make multi-purpose rounds for that 40 mil. But nobody knows what the rounds exactly looked like.

The scratched top mark looks like an M, but I'm not sure. But if it is, the N M mark could mean "Nederlandse Marine" (Dutch Navy).

Also, while the top part of the S is pretty clear, the lower part is scratched. Which is problemactic because there's also: P804 Freyr, F804 Tjerk Hiddes, M804 Steenwijk, S804 Potvis, F804 De Ruyter and the A804 Pelikaan, 

Well, the S-804 stamp got somebody really excited because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_O_24

And apparently they did make multi-purpose rounds for that 40 mil. But nobody knows what the rounds exactly looked like.

The scratched top mark looks like an M, but I'm not sure. But if it is, the N M mark could mean "Nederlandse Marine" (Dutch Navy).

Also, while the top part of the S is pretty clear, the lower part is scratched. Which is problemactic because there's also: P804 Freyr, F804 Tjerk Hiddes, M804 Steenwijk, S804 Potvis, F804 De Ruyter and the A804 Pelikaan, 

"somebody"

• 1 year later...