Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Randall Munroe is an Ignorant Philistine Who Lacks Taste

LostCosmonaut

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since this is rapidly turning into a food thread, I shall continue the discussion by posting this photo of a bag of popsicles I discovered.

Menstruo%20Pops_zpswlivoxyi.jpg

Dear God. I hope the Yellow Sunshine Monster is Mexican for the Letter "O" and not the letter "E".

• 2 weeks later...

Loquats are where it's at men. Loquats.

If I'm going for an exotic fruit with a giant seed, I'll always opt for mangos. Although this probably stems from a childhood where I made friends with the Samoan and Pacific Islander kids where I learned to eat a mango properly and not like an ignorant Haole. 

I have a historical allergy to Peaches. And plums, peas, mint, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, cucumber (but not pickle?), pineapple, and - most importantly - celery.

I say "historical" because one with allergies such as these learns to avoid them and never look back. I seem to have perhaps gotten over the cilantro allergy (it only gave me a headache, anyway, and I can't stay away from Mexican food), and possibly the others as well.

I don't know why some families have these sorts of allergies, or why they're so erratic (my family is rife with them, but rarely the same ones).

Allergies tend to vanish every 7 years or so.  I literally went from being allergic to almost every fruit on the planet, and chocolate to not allergic to anything but seasonal stuff over 1 summer.  The human immune system is a fucking bizzare thing.

I still can't eat bananas, even though I'm not allergic.  I react violently... like exorcist level projectile vomiting to the strong taste of banana.

My step-dad is a dead ringer for Patrick Warburton of "The Tick" fame (and various voice acting gigs). Alas, as a kid he was teased by his classmates for looking like "Magilla Gorilla" and was taunted with bananas to the point where psychologically even though he's a 55 year old man, he gets physically ill at the sight or smell of bananas. I wondered why he just didn't beat the crap out of the little snots since he was bigger than them but in many ways my step-dad is a gentle giant. And recently he was the deciding factor in adopting a rescue kitten simply because he was named "Magilla Gorilla" by the folks at the humane society. He has been renamed Tor as the companion to our older family cat Tyr. (Never name your cat after the Norse god of War and Justice btw...)

It's funny how your mind plays tricks on you like that. I am unable to really eat or enjoy toasted cheese sandwiches, particularly the sort that are made in those hot sandwich makers that look like a waffle iron. That's because 20 years ago, my family got one, I ate so many of the damn things that I got violently sick (or maybe I caught a 24 hour bug at the time).

Mangoes are the foundation of a crucial component of enjoying Indian cuisine as well.

Meanwhile in other giant seed related news avocadoes are awesome in a totally different way.

Indeed. As a fun aside, a few years ago the wife and I made a trip down to San Diego with the intention of overseeing an expansion of our fish business at one of the farmers markets down there. The business side of the trip turned out to be a disaster since unbeknownst to us the gal who was my wife's dad's friend's business partner whom she was sexting with (seriously) was a complete insane train-wreck. On the plus side, we got to meet some other cool folks down in So Cal who grew olives and made their own olive oil and some other folks with avocado farms. The fruit was ten times better than the ones you get in the stores up here. Plus the fun thing is we were able to do the avocado pit trick where you poke toothpicks into them, suspend the pit in water and grow an avocado plant. This is usually impossible with the ones you get in the store since they are refrigerated and often kept in oxygen free warehouses when stored which basically kills the seed.

Sitting on the window sill in front of me are four (not so) little avocado plants that are now three to four feet tall.