Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

Fixed image link. And yeah, all RAM heat spreaders are for show.

Always buy the cheapest, lowest profile within specs RAM. Or get LED ram so the heatsinks are doing something.

I was always tickeled pink at the RAM fan coolers, I could never quite figure out the purpose.

Always buy the cheapest, lowest profile within specs RAM. Or get LED ram so the heatsinks are doing something.

I was always tickeled pink at the RAM fan coolers, I could never quite figure out the purpose.

The purpose is to impress those with a severe disconnect between how much they are willing to learn and how much they are willing to spend.

I just wish that they still made non-heatspreader sticks for my demographic of people which has a severe disconnect between how much they are willing to learn and how much extra they want to spend.

Unless you're gaming on integrated graphics or to some degree have an AMD CPU I wouldn't worry about RAM speed and timings too much, the fancy RAM is just too much price for too little boost. If there's a cheap boost in timings and speed go for it, if it costs a bunch it likely isn't worth it.

I wonder if that cat would like my case or not. It's got moderately warm exhausted out the top, but it is active exhaust and I don't know if cats like breezes.

Also, do you have good filtering on all your intakes and a positive pressure setup?

LOL nope, the intakes are on the front, I think. I've been popping it all apart and cleaning it as needed. 

I think the cat likes the warm air blown on him. He grooms off all his belly hair. The cat is weird. I did all kinds of shit to keep him off, including putting thumbtacks through cardboard and taping that up there. Who knew how tough cats feet were?

He's kind of a oddball cat. He likes to sit on the counter in the bathroom while I shower so he can rub on me and get all wet as I dry off. He also likes to watch water drain out of the tub. He is fascinated with the sink.  He isn't very food oriented, but the other cat, and dog are, and he insists on sampling the dogs food, and always makes the other cat go to another bowl. He loves looking at the world, but is terrified of going outside and new people, strange noises, sirens, etc. 

And I think the bastard is a wehraboo, cause he only knocks American die cast tanks off shelves. 

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's not old (the most recent scandal was with Haswell ready boards), and I eschew logical increments as well, as it's not particularly helpful and in many cases is deceptive.

Either way, if you've had the board for longer than a year, you should be okay.

No, it's not old (the most recent scandal was with Haswell ready boards), and I eschew logical increments as well, as it's not particularly helpful and in many cases is deceptive.

Either way, if you've had the board for longer than a year, you should be okay.

Yeah, you can see the purchase date in my post on it.

I did some looking, and it seems like this is a more recent thing than my computer, so I should be fine. What's wrong with LI? Sure, they're mostly helpful if you haven't built a computer before, but I've built two towers off their guide and they worked great.

It's a great way to avoid building an awful computer or reminding people what they can get if they don't buy an OEM box, but homogenizing things that involve tradeoffs with no clear winner into a stepwise series of builds leaves out the potential for the best builds to suit someone's needs.

A box for mixed gaming/work that includes video rendering is different from one that involves messing with VMs is different from a pure gaming box is different from...

For example trading CPU and GPU off against each other is a long-standing tradition, and for someone I know has a certain budget but can spare enough to upgrade in the future I'd strongly consider putting more into the CPU because that holds value much better and is likely to be capable of seeing two or three GPU upgrades before it really needs a replacement. For example, a while back I had a GTX 560 and a i5 2500k. One of those is a totally viable part even now. The other is about one and a half upgrades old for someone following a good cadence on GPU upgrades.

It's a great way to avoid building an awful computer or reminding people what they can get if they don't buy an OEM box, but homogenizing things that involve tradeoffs with no clear winner into a stepwise series of builds leaves out the potential for the best builds to suit someone's needs.

A box for mixed gaming/work that includes video rendering is different from one that involves messing with VMs is different from a pure gaming box is different from...

For example trading CPU and GPU off against each other is a long-standing tradition, and for someone I know has a certain budget but can spare enough to upgrade in the future I'd strongly consider putting more into the CPU because that holds value much better and is likely to be capable of seeing two or three GPU upgrades before it really needs a replacement. For example, a while back I had a GTX 560 and a i5 2500k. One of those is a totally viable part even now. The other is about one and a half upgrades old for someone following a good cadence on GPU upgrades.

Sure... But for someone who is new to PC building, I think LI is a great tool to actually getting that tower assembled. Yes, if you're a seasoned builder using LI instead of your brain is probably not the way to create the best tower for the money, but I don't think LI was really intended to be used that way, anyway.

That's fair enough. Also I haven't looked at it more than to notice that yeah it's got a generally reasonable selection of stuff and a nice section to explain things, so Faustian might've noticed something I haven't.

I actually enjoy speccing the things out too.

That's fair enough. Also I haven't looked at it more than to notice that yeah it's got a generally reasonable selection of stuff and a nice section to explain things, so Faustian might've noticed something I haven't.

That's how my build started, but on Newegg, I found the fastest Intel CPU they had, then looked for a combo with it, then started going through the rest of the components.  Then I had to convince the wife. 

So far, I’m still very happy with the build, I’ve had zero problems since I replaced the stock CPU cooler, and all it needed was a cleaning. The new on is easier to clean.  The system is rock solid, and I only reboot it once every few weeks, mostly when there is a windows update and it does it on its own.  GTA V crashed it a few times, and so did FarCry whatever the new Himalaya adventure one is. I haven’t run into a game I can’t run on full detail, but my monitors are not all that big.

I will not be buying a prebuilt desktop again, building this PC was just to much fun, and so much better for the money spent.  

That's how my build started, but on Newegg, I found the fastest Intel CPU they had, then looked for a combo with it, then started going through the rest of the components.  Then I had to convince the wife. 

So far, I’m still very happy with the build, I’ve had zero problems since I replaced the stock CPU cooler, and all it needed was a cleaning. The new on is easier to clean.  The system is rock solid, and I only reboot it once every few weeks, mostly when there is a windows update and it does it on its own.  GTA V crashed it a few times, and so did FarCry whatever the new Himalaya adventure one is. I haven’t run into a game I can’t run on full detail, but my monitors are not all that big.

I will not be buying a prebuilt desktop again, building this PC was just to much fun, and so much better for the money spent.  

Copy that, buying <<<<<<< building.

I would consider buying a computer if I were getting it for work, in which case having a warranty on the thing as a whole is a big enough consideration to more than offset the cost and loss of amusement. Other than that, I enjoy optimizing things and building them far too much, and getting exactly what I wanted is all kinds of satisfying. There's also a real nice feeling that comes from knowing the ins and outs of a thing you use. It's like how people speak of cars they built or restored.

Plus, it's easy, especially in nice modern cases with cable ties and everything.

Logical increments tends to put weird things on the same scale, as well as not scale them properly.

For instance, at the lower end of the scale they have the G3220 and the CX430. The G3220 actually has better single thread and per core performance than the latter suggested X4 Athlons, the Athlons are a waste of money. If you really need the threads you should really throw down the extra change for the FX 6300 or better yet any i3. CX series PSUs, especially lower end ones, are notoriously bad and no site should suggest a PSU that will potentially eat your investment.

Another interesting thing to note is the R9 280 being put on the same step as the GTX 960, and while it's true they are in a similar performance bracket, the 280 is actually better in price/perf by a margin as it'll actually use 4GB of memory while the 960 will struggle to do so (never buy a 4GB 960, it's almost scam levels of dumb). Yet LI doesn't tell you this at all.

I also dislike the lack of proper scaling - an FX8320 is not just a tier below an i5 anything, I'd slap at least the entirety of the Nehalem between them, as even an i5-2500K is going to beat up a Vishera, even a well binned one. An i3-4130 isn't just better than an X4 860K, it's far and away better as the X4 860K is worse than basically any Phenom II X4, which butted heads with high end C2Qs and early Core I series. This seems to be an awfully simple fix though, just add the percent increase from previous tier (after moving things around) that they've added to the GPUs to the CPUs.

I dislike the suggestion of Gigabyte boards, as stated above, and honestly ASrock is far and away the superior company (Yes, not only did I type that, the internet did as well. We're still recovering from shock).

Further, case suggestions make no fucking sense. Rosewill Challenger is an inferior case to the similarly priced Cooler Master N200 for instance, The Corsair 350, 450 and 550 are all some of the best price/perf cases yet not a word, and almost all cases seem to be for ATX boards, which is weird to say the least. Putting just bigger cases towards the end of their line ups makes no sense either, full towers are only useful going complete water or running shittons of hard drives for NAS or RAID or some shit. It honestly looks like towards the end of everything it's less how to build a good, enthusiast computer and more how to light money on fire. Here's a suggestion, spend it on hookers and blow and just get an R5 to stuff your X99 sli setup into.

Logical increments tends to put weird things on the same scale, as well as not scale them properly.

For instance, at the lower end of the scale they have the G3220 and the CX430. The G3220 actually has better single thread and per core performance than the latter suggested X4 Athlons, the Athlons are a waste of money. If you really need the threads you should really throw down the extra change for the FX 6300 or better yet any i3. CX series PSUs, especially lower end ones, are notoriously bad and no site should suggest a PSU that will potentially eat your investment.

Another interesting thing to note is the R9 280 being put on the same step as the GTX 960, and while it's true they are in a similar performance bracket, the 280 is actually better in price/perf by a margin as it'll actually use 4GB of memory while the 960 will struggle to do so (never buy a 4GB 960, it's almost scam levels of dumb). Yet LI doesn't tell you this at all.

I also dislike the lack of proper scaling - an FX8320 is not just a tier below an i5 anything, I'd slap at least the entirety of the Nehalem between them, as even an i5-2500K is going to beat up a Vishera, even a well binned one. An i3-4130 isn't just better than an X4 860K, it's far and away better as the X4 860K is worse than basically any Phenom II X4, which butted heads with high end C2Qs and early Core I series. This seems to be an awfully simple fix though, just add the percent increase from previous tier (after moving things around) that they've added to the GPUs to the CPUs.

I dislike the suggestion of Gigabyte boards, as stated above, and honestly ASrock is far and away the superior company (Yes, not only did I type that, the internet did as well. We're still recovering from shock).

Further, case suggestions make no fucking sense. Rosewill Challenger is an inferior case to the similarly priced Cooler Master N200 for instance, The Corsair 350, 450 and 550 are all some of the best price/perf cases yet not a word, and almost all cases seem to be for ATX boards, which is weird to say the least. Putting just bigger cases towards the end of their line ups makes no sense either, full towers are only useful going complete water or running shittons of hard drives for NAS or RAID or some shit. It honestly looks like towards the end of everything it's less how to build a good, enthusiast computer and more how to light money on fire. Here's a suggestion, spend it on hookers and blow and just get an R5 to stuff your X99 sli setup into.

Thank you, Faust. That was helpful.

Still, without LI I would still be talking about the tower I am I gonna build "any day now".