Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

Hmm, well I use http://pcpartpicker.com/. Comes goon recommended, and while it'll hold your hand less, it basically has the internets entire database on available, buyable parts sans auction sites.

Also, these are helpful as well, they get updated as time goes on with new uarchs

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Need help with moving my system to a new case. Would a white case with Blue LEDs be better than black with blue LEDs?

I'd say white case, no problems with dust and dirt here (on a mostly painted metal case). What cases you looking at?

I've got good things to say about my Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, and what I've seen of Fractal Design's stuff looks great too.

Well, the issue is I moved to a new desk and holy shit I have way more space - except for my current setup, the HAF 932 I bought idiotically 4 years ago is way to big to fit properly. So contemplating moving to MicroATX, and I have on hand a DIYPC DIY-N8-W White SPCC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case. I also have some Red LEDs laying about, but was also thinking of getting a Corsair 350D and maybe either Blue or White LEDs. I don't have tons of money to throw away right now so anything above 100$ is definitely a no go.

The other theory is this is all dumb and I should just deal with it and sit on my hands till Zen.

BLACK-AND-RED BLACK-AND-RED

It's the colors of the Sith and my old high school, what's not to like?

I dislike red LEDs almost on principle because I just dislike red light as a rule, shit hurts my eyes and makes it near impossible to distinguish anything. Green, Purple, Blue and White are cool though.

The other theory is this is all dumb and I should just deal with it and sit on my hands till Zen.

Don't forget 14nm GPUs - Nvidia and AMD seem to be saving new architectures for that, going by the remarks about pascal and the basically conformed rumours about how the 3xx series will be almost entirely rebrands. 2016 will be a good year for gaming

BLACK-AND-RED BLACK-AND-RED

It's the colors of the Sith and my old high school, what's not to like?

It's also the color of the Visitor's uniforms from the mini-series "V" or the Crimson Guard.

So. Sturgeon is either a Reptilian alien or a militarized Amway salesman (if we work off of Walter's working theory on Cobra's finances).

I'm getting that QNIX monitor though because fuck this piddly 1600x900 I've had for 5 years, and I have no idea if the 760 will drive 1440p well.

Absolutely, go for that. Prices are coming down in monitors, but they're coming down to screens like that QNIX as the top end gets more and more features. I don't think an overclockable 1440p at $300 is going to get much cheaper in the way a fancy high framerate gaming screen likely will, and seriously, IPS is a huge upgrade, 1440p is a huge upgrade, and being very likely to push 80 Hz is a nice upgrade. A 760 might do okay, if I still had mine I'd offer to do testing.

I need to do my monitor rant about resolution and working space at some point.

I've decided that I'm not going to bother with changing cases, instead I'll mod the desk. So no blue LEDs etc for now but since I have the equipment and AM4/LGA1151 are still compatible with old CPU coolers etc, looks like I'll be set. DDR4 better drop in price or AM4/LGA1151 better be compatible with DDR3, because as is it's nuts for 8GB let alone 16GB.

In the mean time, I'm assembling a C2Q system and will see how it stacks up tot he FX8350 I have - will be pushing a Q9450 to 3.2Ghz, I might beat a Haswell i3!

I'd wait till Zen if you're pinching pennies unless you seriously need something. Maybe a bargain basement 290 because they're going for stupid cheap, but next generation should be a ~1.5 node drop and new uarchs.

290X's are also crazy good value right now, if you can find one. I've heard of 285's selling for pennies as well, AMD stuff is the way to go for everything bar the very top end right now until 3xx comes out and prices return to RRP

290X's are also crazy good value right now, if you can find one. I've heard of 285's selling for pennies as well, AMD stuff is the way to go for everything bar the very top end right now until 3xx comes out and prices return to RRP

They're really good too, but I've seen 290s for about $210 after rebate, and that's a preposterously good deal. Going to the X just adds ~7% and he seems to be price sensitive.

Two "new" things to share B)

First is my sisters build

UaG89ND.jpg

The issue currently is how to maneuver the PSU into the case, as it really doesn't want to fit. I'm trying to reuse an old PSU I had after hers popped. Tempted to remove the HDD cage. Don't be deceived by the weird lighting, it's got 3 red LED 120mm fans, a copper tower with red LED, all PCB is red, and an all black glossy case with clear side panel. It's not a great computer, but she doesn't play anything heavy or very modern, like Insurgency at most I think?

As I was going through my parts though, I happened upon this

9gPzW4v.jpg

Guess what it is B)

I'd say the CPU would very likely be worth it in the long run, although it won't always make a huge difference.  http://anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1198

You're captain of your own ship when it comes to motherboard features and what really matters, but AsRock's control stuff has been very favorably reviewed, and when I looked I considered it second only to ASUS'.

IIRC you're running a 760. This is a low bound on the difference between the cards, because that's a reference 290X, although Uber keeps it from throttling too hard, an aftermarket cooled card will do better. http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1059?vs=1038

CPUs are infrastrure. They aren't glamorous but they do need updating every once in a while or things start getting ugly and there's not much you can do to get around a CPU bottleneck. It's more expensive for a CPU/mobo than the card, but only you can say when it's worthwhile. That should last pretty well for quite a while though, and if you really need cores you might be able to find a used i7 cheapish in the distant future. Maybe not though. It should probably last 5 years fine.

GPUs turn over faster and steadily improve. However, you'll get a much bigger boost right now.

I personally don't believe in recommending whether to spend. I recommend how to spend if you're going to spend. That upgrade should give a noticeable boost. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you, and is informed by what else you do with your time that could be benefited by that money.