Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

Grabbed an Asus MG279Q last Christmas, 1440p, 144hz, IPS panel. It's goddamn beautiful.

Well that is a nice looking monitor. Anyone else have any favorite?  Once I figure out a way to make my current one "not work anymore", I can run getting a new one past the Mistress of Finance. 

Which brand video card? It really depends on that because that decides whether you're getting gsync or freesync.

I'm currently running an Asus XR341CK I got refurbed for $600, which is a great deal. Ultrawide's on the table for Freesync in a way that it isn't for gsync which only has the Acer X34 and the Asus PG348Q. The price difference between them and what I've got is literally the price difference of a high end card, so I'm getting a high end card next time AMD releases some (I really want that Fury X cooler on a good card). There's also some screens like the LG 34UM88-B. Ultrawides are crazy sweet in my opinion but they do come with tradeoffs.

Gsync seems to have all its best screens in the 1440p 144+ Hz range like Matt's screen. The Acer XB271HU is really nice, Asus has the PG279Q, if you want to go a bit cheaper there's the Dell S2716DG which is a really nice screen but is TN rather than IPS and thus not the same level of pretty. The Freesync screens are a bit less heavy on the price tag but do come with some limits (IE don't generally have a freesync range up to 144 Hz).

Main thing is that you're looking for high framerate, IPS and resolution at a reasonable price, and in Freesync land you're looking for a maximum framerate on the range that's 2.5 times that of the bottom if possible. That lets you drop below the minimum without nasty effects.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was thinking of converting to Intel, but how do people feel about the idea of instead replacing my HD 7870 Sapphire 2gb with a R9 380X and my FX6300 CPU with an FX8350?

That would be cheaper than a total rebuild to Intel, although maybe I should just go Intel anyway, as all the higher tier shit seems to be Intel.

My goal here is to run DOOM.

Well, I was thinking of converting to Intel, but how do people feel about the idea of instead replacing my HD 7870 Sapphire 2gb with a R9 380X and my FX6300 CPU with an FX8350?

That would be cheaper than a total rebuild to Intel, although maybe I should just go Intel anyway, as all the higher tier shit seems to be Intel.

My goal here is to run DOOM.

Right now, there is literally no reason to go for AMD CPUs. I mean, my 4 threaded 6600K beats my old 12 threaded 3930K, which in turn beat the ever living shit out of the 8350 in almost every single benchmark there is.

Not only that, the 8350 is significantly more power hungry than a 6600K (125 W vs 91 W).

As for GPUs, I'd advise you to wait for the new AMD 480, I've heard a lot of very good things about it.

Things like beating a GTX 980 while being only 200 dollars.

Right now, there is literally no reason to go for AMD CPUs. I mean, my 4 threaded 6600K beats my old 12 threaded 3930K, which in turn beat the ever living shit out of the 8350 in almost every single benchmark there is.

Not only that, the 8350 is significantly more power hungry than a 6600K (125 W vs 91 W).

As for GPUs, I'd advise you to wait for the new AMD 480, I've heard a lot of very good things about it.

Things like beating a GTX 980 while being only 200 dollars.

Are GPUs CPU dependent (Intel with Intel, only), or are they compatible across the board?

Also, for me the reason to stick with AMD would be that my system already uses an AMD mobo.

Are GPUs CPU dependent (Intel with Intel, only), or are they compatible across the board?

Also, for me the reason to stick with AMD would be that my system already uses an AMD mobo.

No, yes. A GPU should work with any board.

The only thing to look out for is Crossfire/SLI support. Some motherboard manufacturers only officially support CF (AMD) or SLI (Nvidia). But if you're not planning to run more than one GPU at the same time you shouldn't care.

As far as CPUs go, with AMDs new Zen chips on the horizon there is absolutely no reason to get an AMD chip right now. I'd honestly wait until they come out later this year to upgrade, should drive CPU prices down since they'll actually be competitive with Intel chips.

As far as CPUs go, with AMDs new Zen chips on the horizon there is absolutely no reason to get an AMD chip right now. I'd honestly wait until they come out later this year to upgrade, should drive CPU prices down since they'll actually be competitive with Intel chips.

I've heard that before, and then Bulldozer came.

Which... didn't bulldoze at all.

Hopefully they don't disappoint us this time. Honestly if they can at least hit like Sandy Bridge IPC or so, that would be enough to be viable. And if nothing else it should at least shave a few bucks off the Intel prices.

Will they even be chipset compatible? I'm not super sure whether or not the prices on existing stock would drop. Most of the time they haven't been.

It's yet another hyperthreaded wide IPC focused core design, it should be perfectly acceptable. I mean seriously, Apple's making really solid CPUs because the formula's that well established, and one of the main dudes from that was with AMD through a lot of the design of Zen. It's a lot easier to get close when your competition is grinding up against the land of diminishing returns.

I was a die hard AMD guy since the 90s. I finally sucked it up and switched to Intel and couldn't be happier. AMD seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to being competitive in the consumer PC market. 

Core was the definitive modern architecture, and AMD was going in the wrong direction right at that time. Before then they were good if not better.

Bulldozer sucks as an architecture, and hopefully their new stuff will bring balance back to the force.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...