Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

• 3 weeks later...

She's (mostly) put-together. Tomorrow we fire her up and install software.

kM6loQE.jpg

Currently, she's an all-SSD unit, but once I've verified a Windows install on the Mushkin, I'm going to rip open my current tower and transplant the HDDs from it to the new one.

Then a fresh HDD goes into the ol' Orthanc beast, and it becomes my girlfriend's rig. Hopefully, by tomorrow evening I will be gaming on the new rig.

I think your GPU needs another 6-pin power supply.

Looks neat though, my first PC build was a horrible mess of wires. I bought a non-modular PSU so I had quite a bit of wires I didn't need, and that makes cable management kinda difficult. I learned my lesson and bought a modular PSU for my next build. Which I had assembled by a local PC shop to avoid me screwing up.  :P

I think your GPU needs another 6-pin power supply.

Looks neat though, my first PC build was a horrible mess of wires. I bought a non-modular PSU so I had quite a bit of wires I didn't need, and that makes cable management kinda difficult. I learned my lesson and bought a modular PSU for my next build. Which I had assembled by a local PC shop to avoid me screwing up.  :P

Does it? I'm not sure, when I looked it up it seemed that the GTX 1080 didn't need both connectors, but I couldn't find anything about that specific model.

I mean, you have the same GPU, right? If you run it with both connectors, I can just switch that cable out no problem.

Also, this is my third build, I think. Built my previous one, and built a PC way back in high school out of spare parts.

Does it? I'm not sure, when I looked it up it seemed that the GTX 1080 didn't need both connectors, but I couldn't find anything about that specific model.

I mean, you have the same GPU, right? If you run it with both connectors, I can just switch that cable out no problem.

Also, this is my third build, I think. Built my previous one, and built a PC way back in high school out of spare parts.

Yes, it does need it otherwise you're going to run into problems with games. And with problems I mean "Your PC outright stopping because the GPU doesn't get the power it needs", which is annoying.  ;)

No, I have a GTX 980 Ti, when I made my build the 1080 wouldn't be around for half a year or so. Bought mine in august last year.

Yeah, been there, done that, you need the other connector lol.

My build that started this thread is still going strong, I double the ram about two months ago, and the dust buildup is almost to the point I'll need to pull it apart and clean it, but  overall, this has been a very nice computer build. 

OK, guys, let's see if you can help me get out of this pickle: So I am trying to load Windows 7 Master Race Edition onto the new PC via USB, which has an Asus Z170 mobo and an NZXT S340 Elite case. The problem is that I apparently need to load special Windows 7 drivers or the Asus EZ Install kit onto the computer... And I neither have an optical disk drive (usually install via USB), nor can I install one on my computer. Except an external model, via USB... Which just brings me back around to the same problem.

Halp?

I'm on mobile right now, so no long help post, but the USB has to be made bootable. That makes the USB and windows installer on it act like a dvd.

It is. I used Rufus. The problem appears to be that Windows 7 doesn't want to play with the USB 3 ports on the machine, and so you have to use drivers to get it to play right... And you need a disk drive to do that.

...Can I just connect a SATA ODD to the mobo with the side of the machine open, waking brain surgery style?

RIP my money, hello drafting station.

On order from newegg

Intel Core I-7 5820K Haswell E 6-Core 3.3GHz

Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI mother board

Corsair CX750w 80 plus bronze power supply

Corsair Vengeance 64GB (4x16GB) quad channel kit

PNY Quadro K2200 4GB workstation video card

Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD

Cooler Master V8 GTS heatsink

Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm fans (2x)

Cooler Master HAF 912

Windowns 7 Pro SP1 64bit OEM

On monday I will be talking with MCAD about buying a seat of SolidWORKS 2017.