Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

18 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Cheap and refurbished for most of it. Probably an ASUS motherboard, intel CPU (i3 if I can get a good deal) and whatever's on sale/refurbed for the rest. I'll reuse my GPU. 

Doctor BossMan and I came up with a quick Newegg cart. I can get this price down by going refurbed or shopping around for some of these parts.

RbQ0IOs.png

How urgent is the build? Rumor has it that AMD will sell a quad core ryzen for $130, and AM4 motherboards up for pre-order are looking to be reasonably priced. You'd need DDR4, but it'll be a much superior system with more upgrade potential. Down side is that the 4 core chips are expected to come out either Q2 or H2 of this year, so it could be a few months

• 11 months later...

Well, that's fun.  PC randomly died on me while I was making dinner a month ago.  It wouldn't even attempt POST then, only sign it was still getting power were some LEDs on the mobo.  After poking around with a multimeter, I determined it was the mobo I should replace.  3 weeks later after the mongoloids at ASUS have done their business, I get a refurbished one back.  Alright, I can finally get this thing back on!

Except that it behaved the same as it was when it first died.  I laugh because surely this must be because I missed a pin when testing the PSU.  I even joked with a few people when it first died that I would have this happen.  Not wanting to wait another three weeks to use the warranty on my PSU, I just buy a new one.  That came in today, I get everything all plugged in and ready to go, and nothing.  Computer still won't turn on, the only thing I can think is that the old PSU died on me and took a bunch of crap with it.  I've tried everything in the book and a few things not in the book, haven't had any luck.  Looking like I'll get to make the surprise purchase of buying a whole entire new computer.

Sad part is that because of bitcoin mining, replacing my PC build from 2015 with the same parts will cost me more now than it would have then.

7 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

Review of a Logisys PSU:

e7f5d82361.png

...you dont want this in your system.

@Sturgeon any idea why I can't directly paste images anymore but have to paste links, which are always posted in a smaller-than-original size?

If you double click on the image after it auto-embeds, you can choose how big it is.

I've got two choices I'm trying to settle between to get my computer back up and running.  An expensive and good option and a slightly less expensive and slightly less good option.  The case I've already got is a Haf 912 I think, I've got a couple nice Noctua 200mm fans and some other cool dudes in there.  If my 970 survived the slaughter, it'll be in there too.  New PSU is an EVGA NEX650G.

9 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Dont you dare cheap out on a PSU.

Like really.

Dont.

Unless you like to have a chance at your hardware randomly going *poof*.

tfw my dead build had an overkill Corsair RM650 and sufficient cooling, yet the PSU decided to holocaust my computer within three years regardless.

Just buy seasonic PSUs, at least you know for certain which of the chinese factories is spitting them out.

7 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

I've got two choices I'm trying to settle between to get my computer back up and running.  An expensive and good option and a slightly less expensive and slightly less good option.  The case I've already got is a Haf 912 I think, I've got a couple nice Noctua 200mm fans and some other cool dudes in there.  If my 970 survived the slaughter, it'll be in there too.  New PSU is an EVGA NEX650G.

tfw my dead build had an overkill Corsair RM650 and sufficient cooling, yet the PSU decided to holocaust my computer within three years regardless.

You could have an 8-core ryzen system for the same price as that i5 system

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/drjKHh

Also, AIO liquid coolers are pretty cheap these days

• 4 weeks later...