Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

So pretty soon we'll have enough grunt to just emulate them in software, meaning any games exclusive to a given console are now shared with PC?

Maybe. Interestingly, apparently last-gen console architecture is so screwy they're having a hard time emulating that, even though PCs today are many times more powerful than either the 360 or PS3 (both of which have about half a gig of RAM).

Maybe. Interestingly, apparently last-gen console architecture is so screwy they're having a hard time emulating that, even though PCs today are many times more powerful than either the 360 or PS3 (both of which have about half a gig of RAM).

The really really fun bit about modern consoles is that they use a ton of graphics RAM and that sucks because good luck emulating that sort of thing well.

Hmm that sucks. Is the whine just noise or a functional problem as well?

The whine is noise during gaming and is the leading complaint about 970s. The MSI 970 with a similar heatsink to what you got has vastly fewer complaints per review. Like a third as many as the rest.

The really really fun bit about modern consoles is that they use a ton of graphics RAM and that sucks because good luck emulating that sort of thing well.

The whine is noise during gaming and is the leading complaint about 970s. The MSI 970 with a similar heatsink to what you got has vastly fewer complaints per review. Like a third as many as the rest.

Hah, I was reading that on my phone and thought your first post meant the MSI was bad, lol. 

Now I feel much better. 

It's all installed and working now. With all the utilities and control apps the motherboard and video card installed I can take up one monitor with all the tool apps. 

WOT runs great, everything maxed, 70 plus FPS and never dipping below 50. 

Far Cry 4 runs great, I'm running almost everything at ultra, and so far not even a stutter, I'm going to turn up the rest and see after I finish catching up on the forums. It really looks amazing.

The system is great so far, even with the fans going I can’t really hear the video card. The fans that came with the case are making a little noise, but they are all getting replaced eventually. Even with all the fans cranked it’s way quieter than the PS3.

The MSI software package isn’t as nice as the ASUS or EVGA packages, but it’s not bad, just not as slick, no ‘install all’ option etc, but nothing really bothersome.

The final big part is the SSD, and that will have to wait for Christmas. I’ll probably get a bunch of fans too, and the water cooler.

Are there Skyrim mods that can take advantage of my video card epeen?

I'm pretty sure there are skyrim mods that are an ad-hoc, bug-ridden and poorly optimized version of common Lisp, as well as textures that take five gigabytes to implement very sharp versions of ugly textures. You'll find something.

I'm pretty sure that MSI's overclocking and fan control program, afterburner is actually the best of any of them.

Sounds very nice overall, looking forward to being bad and putting together the rest of my system.

So I just spent 3 hours playing Far Cry 4, and wish I had more time. Very pretty game and I have it everything set to ultra. CPU max heat, 88C, but most of the time in game it they were all hitting high 70s. GPU about the same, and it never got noisy. 

I haven’t looked forward to binge gaming like this since I got GTA 5 for the PS3. 

I'm going to have to give BF4 a try again too. 

Those are my super custom black-out panels/keep the cats away from the windows panels.  You can't sit at my desk in the afternoon without them, at least not when it was hot. Now that it's down to the 50s and 60s around here they are just cat and glare protection. 

You’re not supposed to notice that, or my ghetto armrest cover. 

Not all over it but there'll be LEDs inside that I can change the color on. I'm thinking a ring all around the window door opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7WPFS3oKYQ

That's cool. I put something like that on the wish list from NZXT, but the changing color option won't be as useful since the mobo is already has red built in. 

The LEDs on the desk change color like that though. 

Guest jeeps_guns_tanks

Farcry 4 keeps getting more fun... I've lost a lot a sleep playing it. Going to have to be careful to show up to cw enough to not get kicked from the kittehs