Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

New system build

Hahaha, well damn the 290X will crush the 760. I need that in my life.

Not to sure about the 4590 all of a sudden :(, that doesn't seem to be much of a performance gain. The only reason I'm considering it is because of issues in games like DayZ, and Arma 3. It might be less an issue at higher resolutions, so IDFK. Also, I effectively have two computers at that point, and no idea who'd want to buy an AMD rig.

If you're thinking about specific games, look up that specific game. I'll spare you scrolling through gamegpu.ru. Honestly it seems like it'll eat the CPU power you feed it, but that's a steep price tag. You'll probably see a bit more, 290X aftermarket is more impressive than Titan and it's been getting continued improvements. It looks like an i5 is enough threads for it, comparing the 2500k and 2600k, it's just ruled by clock speed once it's got four real cores, although a 40% OC on the 2600K only gets 20% more performance. Minimums do a bit better, especially at unplayably high settings (come on bohemia get it together).

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Edit: 290Xs are on the way out, so act quickly if you want one.

I haven't gotten my parts yet, but I have completed my sisters build and uh, wow, I didn't think an MSI GTX285 2GB would run Skyrim or in fact any game from 2012 on high/ultra. I've also got the processor running 3.0ghz and the DDR2 is sitting @ 1200, this might having something to do with it. I wonder if it can play 2014 games on medium?

Asus MG279Q, like, the second best gaming IPS monitor on the market. I mean seriously, what the fuck Asus.

The best part is the bottom of the stand has wear, indicating a refurbished part. I'm still waiting on an RMA, and if they intend to force me to pay for it then I'll simply go for a refund because that noise can go fuck itself. I'll pick up an ACER panel, and defo 27" 1440p because the side the monitor that wasn't fucked was beautiful.

I also chipped my tooth on the same day and may lose it, so Tuesdays can officially go get fucked.

That sucks, sorry to hear it. It's sad to hear these super premium screens having issues when I got a pair of decentish 1440p IPS for $700 combined and they only have IPS glow that isn't noticeable in most cases. Having those screens and the issues the *sync screens have makes me perfectly happy to wait it out.

I just hope Fury rocks so I can take a week off work when I get it and drag my 34UM95 home to game on. It's either that or not spend $650 on a video card I don't play heavy enough games to need, and that doesn't sound fun now does it?

My 290X is hitting 92c on full load, and I can't set a fan profile. I could RMA, but I could also watercool. Because I like my shiny LEDs and Corsair uses dumb blower fans, was thinking of getting a Kraken, a HS for the VRMs and going nuts on blue LEDs for the Kraken and radiator.

• 10 months later...

Mostly just modeling, but other shit is nice.

Go for a 6600K with 16 GB of standard 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM then. It's what I have and works perfectly fine for modelling and low level simulations. As you know small caliber flow simulations can be done pretty quickly but flow simulations on bigger bores take exponentially longer.

As for graphics cards, you might want to wait until the new Nvidia series is released so the current 900 series drops in price. The 1000 series is generally considered to be suited for 4K gaming so getting one might be overkill. A 970 or a 980 should work just fine. You might want to wait for reviews before you dedicate to buying a graphics card though.

This is the setup I have:

fbd0f800d2.png

Note: The CUDA cores in Nvidia cards do exactly nothing in Solidworks.

Why 2 SSDs there Bronez? (I'm not one to judge, I'm considering giving in to the sickness and replacing my platters with a 2 GB SSD).

Also the MSI Z170A SLI Plus is a compelling option:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z170asliplus

It's got fewer USB ports in back, but it has a nice audio codec and network controller, boots fast, and is a bit cheaper. Plus I like the all black look, easier to match with the rest of the computer (I am a manchild with a window case). They're both pretty similar boards and a real solid value for the price, you can't go wrong with either (especially if your case has plenty of USB ports).

I'm always a few years behind the "bleeding edge" but I never have any trouble running new games that way. I upgrade the first time a game takes a shit on the highest settings. 

I do that too, problem is I really really like nice monitors. So I'm running a mix of medium and high on a 290 on recent games because 3440x1440 makes it hard to drive at or above 50 fps.