Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Additional info on T-16:

Crew of 2 - commander-gunner and driver. Commander can use RCWS with 12.7 Kord HMG for self-defence if needed, RCWS is same as on B-10 APC on Kurganets chassis and Boomerang APC variant. Vehicle have space for 3 additional people - crew of tank that is evacuated. 

Vehicle weight, engine power and mobility generally correspond to those of T-14 and T-15. Protection also largely unified with other vehicles of Armata series. Same ERA/MERA, same soft kill APS, jammers against radio-controlled IEDs/mines, electromagnetic protection (against ATGMs with magnetic sensors that fly over tanks and detonates above tanks, like Bill 2). Cage armor protects crane. No hard-kill APS, looks like it was decided that it is too much/too expensive.

Vehicle have 2 cranes - main crane carrying capacity is 20-25 tons, secondary is for other smaller tasks. T-16 is equipped with automatic "coupling" system that allows to "connect" T-16 with damaged tanks without crew exposure. When not in use, system is covered by ERA/MERA and bulldozer blade.

T-16 Recovery vehicle also have cargo space on the back that allos to carry engine monoblock or combat module. It is also equipped with automated tactical unit control system, that will allow to find "client" much faster on the battlefield via Glonass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That perfect side angle picture of Armata really reminds me of an M47/48 & or the LVTP-4 I believe it was with the tank turret.

Mind you, I am not at all saying that this is a bad thing! 

Aesthetically it's really a gorgeous tank, and the fact that it's built in such a way that it has that classic tank look while being a pretty radical departure from classic tanks design wise is very cool and interesting in my book.

It makes me think that the styling choices were very deliberate and designed this way to create a link between the classic tank of the classic era and this very new and different tank of the current era.

2 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Still don't quite understand why they decided to roll with torsion bar suspension. I don't understand much about suspension systems but wouldn't it make more sense to have a hydropneumatic or spring suspension?

Torsion bars live on the hull floor and are relatively thin.  Hydropneumatic units can live anywhere, but they are relatively bulky.  Coil spring suspension, like the merkava has, lives on the hull sides, and is also relatively bulky.

The hull sides of the T-14 are covered in thick, thick armor.  There really isn't a good place for suspension to go.  Torsion bars stay out of the way.

12 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I don't think that's it. T-14 is not the first to have thick side armor, and from what I see it's not that thick to warrant only a torsion bar suspension. 

Thought they were fading away already, but seems I was wrong. 

It isn't just the thickness of the armor.  Look at these two pictures that were posted earlier:

fr4xS.jpg

400dfd351032.jpg

Now compare that to this picture of a Challenger 1 suspension module:

74EE3FY.jpg

Or the suspension modules on the Arjun:

mcxe8tU.jpg?1

NERA isn't rigid enough to mount suspension modules to, and these hydropneumatic suspension modules take up a lot of space.  If the T-14 had hydropneumatic suspension, the coverage of the side armor would be much less.