Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I don't think that Leclerc's protection is mostly based on steel laminates; it would be a lot less bulky if that were the case.  I just think that it has steel laminates underneath.

The French were, AIUI, some of the first to really nail the metallurgy on that stuff.  Not surprising they'd swagger a bit about it.

My guess?  It's NERA on top of a steel laminate structure.  Why NERA?  Because fucking everything is NERA these days.

Some pictures earlier in this thread establish pretty convincingly that the flat steel plates we see on armata are just sheet steel covers, and not the actual armor.

Most likely explanation IMO is that armata has modular armor packages, just like leclerc or merkava IV, and we haven't seen the definitive armor package yet.

I should have specified earlier; the turret base, with no modules, is THS. The modules/boxes could be anything the French want it to be, ceramics, maybe even NERA. 

On T-14's turret yes, but the important section is the hull, or Glacis to be specific. 

Supposedly T-14 has an armor package based on weight, with the shown models being the "middle" option with a stripped variant, and a loaded one.

why is everyone blind but me

What do you think those big rectangles are?  :lol:

It doesn't mean that it is ERA, it may be some sort of new NERA or like what T-14 roof is equipped with - a blend of ERA and NERA, which is neither usual ERA, nor NERA. 

UFP "ERA" Plates are too big, one hit from RPG would uncover like 1/5th of the UFP. This is a lot, compared to Kontakt-5 protected T-80U and T-90s. Size of roof ERA modules is much smaller, compared to that ERA (if it is ERA) on the front. 

I dont pretend to know what kind of ERA it is exactly, but its pretty distinct from the rest of the vehicle

your probably being more knowledgeable than me on the subject  :lol:

The stuff reminds me of the ERA they used on the BMPT

both being uralvaz products i believe 

2152W5k.jpg

This is Relikt ERA and as you see 2 rows of this ERA modules are used to cover whole UFP (about 12 in total), while in case of T-14 only 1 row was used (6 or 7 in total to cover UFP).

Again, i am not saying that T-14 frontal armor does not offer protection, i said that this layout of armor modules can suggest something different that previous ERA like Relikt or Kontakt-5, it may be even not ERA at all. It can be a blend of ERA and NERA, or something different completely from them, or they use modules of ballistic protection that can be changed as easily as ERA block. Blocks are just to big, even Nozh/Duplet blocks are not so big (they are long, but narrow compared to T-14's frontal armor modules). If it was simple ERA like K-5 or Relikt, each module would have a lot of explsoives, like 3-4 kg.

http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/2043984

"Kurganets is unlikely be offered for export in near 10-15 years."

Combat vehicles on the middle-weight tracked platform "Kurganets-25" will not be exported in the next 10-15 years, said the first vice-president of Concern "Tractor plants" Albert Bakov.

"I doubt that in the next 10-15 years, "Kurganets-25" in one form or another will be sold abroad, and I don't think it is necessary"

UFP "ERA" Plates are too big, one hit from RPG would uncover like 1/5th of the UFP. This is a lot, compared to Kontakt-5 protected T-80U and T-90s. Size of roof ERA modules is much smaller, compared to that ERA (if it is ERA) on the front. 

I noticed that. Historically Russian vehicles favor a greater number of smaller blocks, and not the opposite. As you mentioned this could be the new NERA/ERA solution as shown on the roof of the vehicle, but that still is fried in one shot. 

I saw some talks that frontal upper plate simply did not had ERA that was planned, so what we see is 'naked' armor, a pockets/modules for/with ballistic/NERA protection. Although this is just speculation.

Interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes out for any possible information on it. 

The only modern APFSDS round that can penetrate 850mm at 2km is the M829A3, and it's is the outlier, not the rule. The DM63, the most modern German APFSDS can only penetrate 750mm at 2km when fired from the L/55 cannon. The Russian's APFSDS, the Svinets can penetrate ~650-700mm at 2km. I find it a bit difficult to believe that the Chinese have an APFSDS round that is equal in terms of power as the M829A3, which is very heavily reliant on some of the densest materials in the world.

:huh:

are people really this stupid now? 

Yes they are...

M829A3 penetrates nowhere near 850 mm at 2 kilometers, in reality it's closer to 760.

DM-63 also penetrates under the given number... IIRC it can penetrate 800 mm at point-blank, so that would be well under 750 by the time it reaches two kilometers.

Finally! I've been waiting for this day, for many, many years.

Could you translate the posters? If not I know a few other Russian speakers, but thanks for sharing this.

(It's 3 AM my time, and I'm hysterical with joy right now cause of this...just...amazing)