Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

DlBLc.jpg

This photo is interesting - note how tracks at right look raised compared to left one. I think this is "semi"-active suspension at work. As i understand tank is turning, that's why first roller was raised - to decrease resistance to rotation.

Nice picture there LoooSeR. It shows the side armor of the gunners' sight, which in reality is not all that bad...and the turret ring, which is very "deep" into the hull of the vehicle. 

What's the panel forward of the engine compartment for? It looks to be raised up quite a bit. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is also a large gap between the side of the turret ring & the "blocks" mounted above the tracks. From what I have heard, both the T-90AM and T-14 have introduced a pressure-ducting system that reduces the build up of pressure that a propellant cook-off creates. There may be vents mounted there or something... 

People really havent heard of spaced armor in the states now have they

Things I don't like

-unmanned turret and relying on external cameras
-too easy to take away its cannon/turret with very modest rounds (25mm APFSDS probably could do it)
-125mm cannon that's about the same as modern 120mm (not good enough for frontal engagements)

I would rather an enlarged T-90/T-80 with a bustle magazine and blow off panels and an autoloading 152mm

From what I know, it's poorly armored, oversized, it's turret especially is plated in tinfoil and the unmanned autoloading turret just means that one solid hit will put it out of commission if it screws up the loader.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another Erkranoplan, a great big project to show how awesome and skilled they are and then they only build a handful to prove they can.

Not saying that's the way it's going, but I don't see the Russian military, underfunded as it is, replacing any significant number of tanks with anything new anytime soon.

People really havent heard of spaced armor in the states now have they

Where'd you manage to dig this up?  ^_^

- Using external cameras is no worse than relying on a pair of eyes, especially in regards to keeping the crew safe and out-of-fire. It also allows the tank to have good surround vision in a NBC environment. 

- What's the point in removing a few oz's of metal? Not like those rounds are actually penetrating the vehicle... No vehicle would be able to hit the T-14 repeatedly with auto-cannon fire without the T-14 responding with much more. Especially at distance, assuming the "25 mm APFSDS" can even hit the vehicle (never-mind the turret)...

- 125 mm cannon that's more powerful than any used yet, while firing rounds as potent as the 140 mm did in testing. 

The turret might as well be plated in tinfoil because there is no point in using armor. 

People...are idiots. 

It's really amusing to me to see all these photos and the analysis of the Armata's possible weaknesses.  I grew up with Russia as the boogeyman, and having this level of analysis of a brand new weapons system is... so far beyond what I grew up with.

I mean, I know the Armata is not going to see service in meaningful numbers anytime soon.  But my Dad would have gone full sperglord over this thread and the information level that we have on the Armata/T15/Boomerang.   The photos we have are so detailed that making an accurate model kit of the Armata would be trivial at this point.

Heck, a good modeller could do a full on scratchbuild from the pics we have on SH. 

http://vpk.name/news/137183_voennyie_raskryili_planyi_po_osnasheniyu_armii_armatoi.html

1st Guards Tank Army and newly formed 20 th Combined Arms Army will be first to receive new generation of armored vehicles - the T-14 "Armata" and BMP "Kurganets."

During 2016-2017 rearmament of the 1st Guards Tank Army and the 20th Guards Combined Arms Army will begin, they will receive the latest models of armored vehicles. Current model of tanks will be replaced with T-14 tanks. "These armies will be first to receive BMP "Kurganets" as well" - the source added.