Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

By contributing, you mean they will make suggestons that will be ignored and any stats they give will be castrated for the undeadble M1a2 crowd, and castrated twice for the Britbong lobby 

and it will still be called OP

Ummm, I take your point on the M1A2 lobby, but what is the 'Britbong' crowd?

Bill

Screenshots from video.

Y8SeRBb.jpg

Gunner sight is open, one APS launcher is not loaded.

z42urmN.jpg

Hatches are very thick.

Z9mOGK9.jpg

Armata engine with robotic gearbox (8 speeds both forward and reverse).

m30iwUp.jpg

zMzD1Go.jpg

T-14 in production, rollers assembly in process.

0oCbD0I.jpg

hFERdat.jpg

Hull side armor shape is visible. 

That journalist is annoying. Place for autoloader and turret ring. Note that turret ring at sides shows thick hull side armor.

X8dK8V1.jpg

CJeYVoV.jpg

So romantic!

h0RtfMW.jpg

Frontal hull camera is open.

lb9N9Vc.jpg

Ilya Demchenko, Deputy Chief Designer. Young guy. 

FQ6qlNS.jpg

Not long time ago we had problem with young people in military organisations/companies.

Plenty of space for driver to look around from his hatch. Gun and mantlet are pretty high, giving enough space for driver head and even more.

OempF3J.jpg

Also, roof and other upper parts are covered in some sort of non-slippery paint.

Ff2s2oe.jpg

T-15-class land battleship. And journalist.

XhdvRYa.jpg

APU help to launch engine on that battleship.

pLBzs3r.jpg

WOW. A telephone to speak with crew! 100% new Russian invention.

PxAdhOZ.jpg

Seems to me T-14 also have this HIGH-TECH device.

1429688903_t-14-tank.png

T-14 and T-15 at test drive.

UdbohgZ.jpg

Sorry to break this - and I realise you may have been being ironic, but Centurion had an "infantry-tank telephone in the 1950s.

What goes around, comes around - and it was a great idea when it was working.  Centurion's big problem was digital ideas on valve technology.

Bill

Ummm, I take your point on the M1A2 lobby, but what is the 'Britbong' crowd?

Bill

Bill, if Tied says something that doesn't particularly make sense, don't sweat it.  None of us do.  Indeed, it is when Tied says something that is unusually sensible that I feel the cold prickles of fear.

Do we have any better pictures of the engine?  I'm very curious if it's an X config.

Bill, if Tied says something that doesn't particularly make sense, don't sweat it.  None of us do.  Indeed, it is when Tied says something that is unusually sensible that I feel the cold prickles of fear.

Do we have any better pictures of the engine?  I'm very curious if it's an X config.

IIRC this thread should have several screenshots with Armata and Kurganets engines.

Yes, and several larger than the one above, but I could not make out the cylinder configuration with certainty.

An X-configured, water-cooled diesel is in my opinion very clever.

We know that Russian tanks save a lot of space in the hull by turning the engine sideways:

post-war-tank-hull-comparison.jpg?w=610

But we also know that Armata is rather heavy compared to previous Russian tanks, so it needs a more powerful engine to maintain decent mobility.

After a certain point you can only make a piston engine more powerful by adding more cylinders.  But if you add more cylinders to a "V" engine, you make it longer.  You can't make the engine longer and have it still fit sideways because all modern tanks are about as wide as they possibly can be.  If you check the pictures from the Victory Day parade of the T-14 and T-90 passing the same point, you can see that they are approximately the same width.  Tank hulls cannot be made any wider than they are already because tanks need to fit on trains, and they are already at the limit of the width of cargo that a train can carry.

So, how do you keep a transversely-mounted engine in a tank with decent power?  Well, you could go to a type of engine that has better power output for its size.  This is what Kharkov and Leningrad did with the two-stroke opposed diesel and a turbine respectively.  But these have problems; the two-stroke engines were hard to make and didn't work well and the turbine is fuel-hungry and expensive.  Worse, they were both made in Ukraine so import to Russia is not possible for the foreseeable future.

An X-configured diesel basically solves all these problems.  It's like two "V" engines put together and sharing a common crankshaft.  You get more cylinders, but the engine does not get so long it can't fit sideways in the tank anymore, and you don't have to resort to exotic tank engines that may or may not work.

LoooSeR was there for this conversation before, this is for the benefit of others who were not.

Possible layout of Armata-based assault gun (Object 299/Object195-isnpired, on T-15 chassis) pic by Paralay

APFSDS ammo for an Assault gun? 

Assault guns aren't really the law of the land they used to be either