Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

.cOGtJMuESIk.jpg

Apparently they are going to put this turret on the Bumerang and Kurganets vehicles. I hope it's not a replacement for the Epoch turret. It looks kind of cheap.

This is turret for Typhoon-VDV, posted some info about it in Soviet tank thread. I didn't heard anything about this turret replacing *Epokha.

*Current turrets on Bumerangs and Kurganets is not Epokha.

Unmanned version of T-14 Armata to be made in 2018 according to Sputnik: https://sputniknews.com/military/20160909/1045123818/unmanned-robotic-armata.html.

If such a tank was to be made it would have a number of advantages over manned tanks. Firstly the tank would not be limited by human shortcomings. It would work in a more efficient manner since the crew would not be under pressure and stress from operating under battlefield conditions. Furthermore the crew would not be put into danger. Now imagine a hypothetical situation were a tank gets penetrated by an ATGM and kills one or more of the crew but the tank is left in tact and is in 'working condition'. Such a tank would be immobilized but the Armata would not. This happened to the Israelis in 2006 where scores of damaged but not necessarily destroyed Merkava tanks were abandoned just over the border with Lebanon. At the very least a damaged Armata could offer resistance. Also it would be fun killing people like in video games  :D  :D  :D . Just my opinion. 

This is turret for Typhoon-VDV, posted some info about it in Soviet tank thread. I didn't heard anything about this turret replacing *Epokha.

*Current turrets on Bumerangs and Kurganets is not Epokha. 

I was talking about the Epoch turret or Bumerang-BM. 

Эпоха \ Epokha is a turret for Kurganets and Bumerang (check first pages of this thread), current version is not completely an Epokha (needs different main gun). BMD-4 turret is version of Bakhcha-U. 

This is "almost" Epokha

EPOHA_01.jpg

Slide showing names of turrets. Was posted on page 3 of this thread. Current turret is just "Kurganets" or Kurganets-BM.

iT2NZNK.jpg

. This happened to the Israelis in 2006 where scores of damaged but not necessarily destroyed Merkava tanks were abandoned just over the border with Lebanon. At the very least a damaged Armata could offer resistance. 

abandoned? scores?

Every damaged tank was fixed and returned to combat within hours.

The only tank I know was abandoned was a Merkava 2 that was partially destroyed by heavy IED and later finished by the IDF and dumped somewhere.

scores mean there were many. 1 is not many.

Then you have never heard of the Battle Wadi Saluki or 'Operation Change of Direction'. 20 immobilized Israeli tanks and armored vehicles were initially abandoned and were returned only after the ceasefire came in effect. But this is not the forum to discuss Israeli military losses.

abandoned? scores?

Every damaged tank was fixed and returned to combat within hours.

The only tank I know was abandoned was a Merkava 2 that was partially destroyed by heavy IED and later finished by the IDF and dumped somewhere.

scores mean there were many. 1 is not many.

Then you have never heard of the Battle Wadi Saluki or 'Operation Change of Direction'. 20 immobilized Israeli tanks and armored vehicles were initially abandoned and were returned only after the ceasefire came in effect. But this is not the forum to discuss Israeli military losses.

We have a thread about Merkavas. Also, about casualties:

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/214-the-merkava-israels-chieftain/?p=5574

I never heard about 20 immobilized Israeli tanks/AFVs at any point of 2006 Lebanon Missile war. I think this is some kind of BS, as number of tanks, that received any serious damage from RPGs/ATGMs was less than 15, another point - number of ATGM teams of Al-Mukowama was also pretty small (a little more than single digits number) in this conflict. 

These numbers are overblown, as only 24 tanks received some form of penetration throughout the course of the entire war (IEDs mostly), and only 2 destroyed by ATGMs. Battle of Saluki was fought with mainly ATGMs and I haven't heard of forces running into IEDs.

I've heard plenty enough about the Battle of Saluki. Completely unnecessary operation ordered by an idiotic minister of defense who should have just resigned and kept working in his farm. 

Optical fiber in Armata was used in a general (multi-service integration) data sharing system. It is easier to assemble, easier to service, have much higher EMP resistance and more reliable. It also have higher "traffic capacity" that usual cables. 

(...)

In targeting mode FCS can memorize the position and the priority of targets, marked by commander and give them to the gunner while aim weapons on the target. The tactical data exchange mode, the coordinates are automatically calculated of the objectives marked using GLONASS data, object distance, measured by LD, the azimuthal angle at the target angle and target locations.

All this together with the tactical information about targets commander passes through the network of the unit, then the unit commander decides what needs to be send "up", and what to share just in unit network. In the "double" mode TC, takes over firing, and the gunner at this time can sit in the "hunter" mode, to continue observation/target searching. But gunner can't give the coordinates and tactical information into the net, he can not  - " we have means, but not enough right".  

Article from the most reliable source ever: http://izvestia.ru/news/636502

The only reason I even bother posting it is because the information contained is basically a known: Armata will use an updated variant of the Kalina FCS as seen on the T-90MS. The article claims the T-72 and T-90 will receive but that's kind of unlikely for both unless the latter gets updated.

This plus other news basically means T-14 has a comparable FCS to any of the Western beasts (for the first time since the 70's on a Russian tank tbh). TC can designate targets that are then relayed to the Gunner's screen, said targets can be automatically tracked (and most likely that includes tracking prediction) with all important variables accounted for. I may be mistaken but it also seems like the TC can designate multiple targets in a specific order: so they can be automatically engaged once the last one has been destroyed/engaged. Gunner only has to press fire :P almost.

LoooSeR, you know anything more on the ammunition situation? One article made it sound like APFSDS was still in development when another claimed it was already being produced, or something like that. I know the guys at Otvaga discussed this but the translation barrier is very tall.