Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

25 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Guess I was wrong. Makes one wonder how much was actually spent modifying these vehicles to do that, just for the sake of a parade, when the intentions are to get this turret mounted on a T-14 chassis only, for actual service.

For starters, if you take out the hull composite armor from the T-90 and the frontal fuel tanks, you can liberate enough space to sit two more people besides the driver, but at the expense of protection. Actually thats not a complex modification.

For something like Koalisia thats no big deal, but makes one wonder what they did to seat two "bow gunners" in the BMPT.

EDIT: i retract what i said, after viewing again the Koalitsia, i noticed tha gunners and commanders hatches are place behind the drivers, meaning that the thick composite migh be still there (and the historic weak spot around drivers vision block remains as well). And also there is a thick add-on block of unknown nature.

Now just replace the Koalitzia turret with the T-14 and you get a cheap mans 4th gen MBT.

8 hours ago, alanch90 said:

For starters, if you take out the hull composite armor from the T-90 and the frontal fuel tanks, you can liberate enough space to sit two more people besides the driver, but at the expense of protection. Actually thats not a complex modification.

For something like Koalisia thats no big deal, but makes one wonder what they did to seat two "bow gunners" in the BMPT.

EDIT: i retract what i said, after viewing again the Koalitsia, i noticed tha gunners and commanders hatches are place behind the drivers, meaning that the thick composite migh be still there (and the historic weak spot around drivers vision block remains as well). And also there is a thick add-on block of unknown nature.

Now just replace the Koalitzia turret with the T-14 and you get a cheap mans 4th gen MBT.

There is a lot to a 4th gen MBT than a mere unmanned turret. It's actually undefined yet.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Yeah you're right. It's just a messed up perspective making the tank look longer than it is. The T-15 has the same vents apparently, but are located far closer to the center of the vehicle.

There is a strange hatch near turret ring that i'm interested in. No idea why it is there and for what.

5 minutes ago, alanch90 said:

Great find. going by that picture the Armata tank is around 50-52 tons and the Armata IFV  at 60? Also, why are there 2 blue "stripes" what do they mean?

Blue stripes to show "borders" of weight for certain vehicle. 

Armata is indeed probably 50+ tons or maybe even more, as pic shown is old version (6 rollers per side) of Armata T-14. 

On 2/1/2019 at 12:56 AM, LoooSeR said:

Collection of links to patents of Armatas smoke grenade launchers

So it would traverse between firing each one to get a good coverage?
Interesting that they went for a bit of increased complexity as opposed to what ROSY does (similar amount of charges per "turret" AFAIK).

Moscow. 12th of February. INTERFAX.RU - The first batch of serial tanks "Armata" will go to the Armed Forces of Russia this year, writes on Tuesday the newspaper "Izvestia".

"Until the end of the year, 12 tanks T-14 Armata and four BREM T-16 (armored repair and recovery vehicle based on the platform Armata) will be supplied to the troops," the report says, citing sources in the Russian Defense Ministry. According to them, the serial version of "Armata" differ from the previously presented experimental machines: after testing a number of components and assemblies were replaced, new systems also appeared.

According to the publication, the first production tanks will have to take part in the Victory Parade, and after the ceremonial passing on the pavement of Red Square "Armata" will be involved in military trials.

“16 vehicles will be divided between military units located in different climatic zones,” the newspaper said.