Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Deceive the Credulous; Become Fabulously Wealthy

Collimatrix

Have a very, merry #Resist...mas?

https://www.womentolookupto.com/#christmas-tree-angel-2017

clintonange.jpg (799×1321)

Price tag is 80...Pounds?

Also you can get Christmas cards for 8 Pounds.

WomenToLookUpTo_281117_5838.jpeg?format=

"It's Time To Shine"

Shine?

With a picture of Beyonce? Shouldn't someone tell our friends across the water that having the word "Shine" next to an African American female might be considered a microaggression?

Our 3D printing process is unique, in that we don't print our Christmas Tree Toppers layer by layer, but carve the women out of plaster. The art of sculpting these figures means every version is unique but perfectly formed, like your very own hand finished first edition.

When we receive your order our production partners My3DTwin commence the process in their London Studio of sculpting your Christmas Tree Topper on their state of the art 3D Systems ProJet 660Pro. This process takes around 12 hours.

Then we begin with our enhanced post production, like an artist finishing his masterpiece, this spares no detail or quality, and can take up to a week to complete.

These are the 4 stages of production from sculpting, to 3D printing and hand finishing. 

Binder jetting is not carving, no matter how artisanal you make it sound :rolleyes:

ETA: Their terrible tessellation is also triggering me, although if they're binding plaster recycling might not be much of an issue

• 1 month later...

I saw the bitching about Trump's tarriff on solar panels, and it immediately set my fake news alarm off.  Something about how it was being reported seemed off.  So I did some digging, and found this article.

The future of solar power in the U.S. was thrown into question Friday by a closely watched federal ruling. The International Trade Commission, an agency that advises on some trade issues, ruled that Chinese solar panel imports threaten American manufacturers, giving the White House authority to impose a tariff on imports of solar panel. Such a measure would dramatically increase the cost of solar panels in the U.S., making the electricity source less competitive with fossil fuels like natural gas and coal.

The case was brought by two U.S. solar panel manufacturers — Suniva and SolarWorld — that have struggled to compete in recent years as Chinese manufacturers slashed solar panel prices and U.S. energy companies bought and installed them. “Without temporary relief, there will likely be no existing American [solar] cells or modules industry within a short period of time,” wrote Suniva in a federal complaint. “Relief is necessary to prevent the permanent loss of a competitive domestic industry.”

So here's the first thing that the bitching over the past couple of days has completely failed to mention; the US solar panel manufacturing industry are the ones who agitated for this tarriff in the first place!  This is pretty straightforward trade protectionism; Trump is trying to keep US PV manufacturers (what few are left after the Obama Administration bloodbath) from getting annihilated by cheap Chinese imports.  Whether this will work and whether this is a desirable thing to do at all are definitely debatable points, but what is not debatable is why Trump is doing this.  A lot of outlets implied or outright claimed that Trump has an enormous hate-boner for green energy because he hates the environment or something equally stupid.  This is a case of Trump following through on the protectionist platform he was elected on.

But wait, if US PV panel manufacturers are the ones who wanted this tariff in the first place, then why are people bitching about it?

While the ruling could protect American solar panel manufacturers from foreign competition, it could also threaten other sectors of the solar power industry — and renewable energy in the U.S. as a whole. Thousands of Americans rely on the solar industry for jobs installing, repairing and operating solar panels, whether those panels are made in the U.S. or not. The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) has claimed that a tariff could cost 88,000 U.S. solar jobs of more than 250,000 employed in the industry. (Solar panel manufacturing accounts for about 8,000 of those 250,000 jobs.)

Because only 3.2% of all US "solar jobs" involve actually making solar panels!  The other people with "solar jobs" are installers or wholesalers or middle men or advocacy groups or... actually, who the hell knows how they're bulking those numbers out, but it's very clear that this "industries association" represents interests that are decidedly not industrial if they are net hurt by trade protectionism.

I know, amazing isn't it?

What's even more amazing is that our education system is so fucking broken that people don't hear the phrase "imposed a 30% tariff" and immediately know that this is the US government actually attempting to protect the American manufacturing sector!

A stupid population is definitely in the best interest of the beltway shit weasel class, that's for sure!

Thank God we covered this in US history in junior high and high school back in the day. 

https://www.techniques-ingenieur.fr/actualite/articles/route-solaire-normande-electricite-51088/

>French ecological ministry says the Normand 1km solar roadway would produce 17,963 kW per day

>Immediately forced to backtrack and then it becomes 767 kW per day

>Actual production numbers come in and it is only 409 kW per day for 2017

>Efficiency is horrible and it would be better in the South but its vulnerable to heat and so it would literally melt

>It cost 5 million euros to build and it'll produce 2.2 million kWh throughout its expected service live of 15 years, so 2.27 euro per kWh while French electricy costs are .19 euro per kWh.

>But it gets even better, it might only last 7 years, amazingly there is "unexpected" stress and wear on the joints of solar panels on a highway

Don't worry, solar roadways will be working any day now!

13 hours ago, AdmiralTheisman said:

https://www.techniques-ingenieur.fr/actualite/articles/route-solaire-normande-electricite-51088/

>French ecological ministry says the Normand 1km solar roadway would produce 17,963 kW per day

>Efficiency is horrible and it would be better in the South but its vulnerable to heat and so it would literally melt

>It cost 5 million euros to build and it'll produce 2.2 million kWh throughout its expected service live of 15 years, so 2.27 euro per kWh while French electricy costs are .19 euro per kWh.

>But it gets even better, it might only last 7 years, amazingly there is "unexpected" stress and wear on the joints of solar panels on a highway

Ségolène Royal and the ADEME what did you expected?

Numbers based on overly optimistic assumptions (and that's an understatement), pushing intermittent renewable forward just because nuclear power is evil even if it's still much cheaper and cleaner than said "green" energy.

They are either incompetent (Royal is for sure) or knowingly lie (ADEME).

At least I give credits to Nicolas Hulot for that. Even if he had to close Fessenheim because it became too political, at least he seem capable to hear what his advisors say and publicly stated that reducing the share of nuclear power down to 50% of our electricity wasn't achievable in the target delay without significantly increasing our CO2 emissions.

And the most comic part was when Royal accused him of not respecting the law that was passed in order to reduce the share of nuclear.

Pro tip: Physics don't care about the law, neither does the economy.

13 hours ago, AdmiralTheisman said:

Actually, I'm impressed they even got that far.

• 2 months later...

eBurxi6.jpg?1

Here is a link to the article.

Fuck this guy.

Nineteen percent of the maximum Carnot efficiency of the difference between 100 celsius and room temperature is about two percent.  And that's something engineers have been able to do for nearly two centuries now; Seebeck Effect devices have similar performance and they've been around since 1821.  It's never been cost-effective; the juice is absolutely not worth the squeeze.

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

eBurxi6.jpg?1

Fuck this guy.

Nineteen percent of the maximum Carnot efficiency of the difference between 100 celsius and room temperature is about two percent.  And that's something engineers have been able to do for nearly two centuries now; Seebeck Effect devices have similar performance and they've been around since 1821.  It's never been cost-effective; the juice is absolutely not worth the squeeze.

I still like the idea of those little stove thingies that can charge your phone.

5 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

I too, dream of powering my smart phone with coal.

For you, I have an even better (long-running) project: An attractive tabletop steam engine running a small generator and inverter unit.

Now, if I can just get about $10 000.00 in seed funding...

2 hours ago, Toxn said:

For you, I have an even better (long-running) project: An attractive tabletop steam engine running a small generator and inverter unit.

Have the pressure vessels made in China and design a feature that will basically flash cook hipsters if they disable it.  Then put a big warning label on it that says "If you disable this it will cook you."  Then sit back and wait for the youtube videos of hipsters flash cooking themselves.

43 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Have the pressure vessels made in China and design a feature that will basically flash cook hipsters if they disable it.  Then put a big warning label on it that says "If you disable this it will cook you."  Then sit back and wait for the youtube videos of hipsters flash cooking themselves.

I'm not looking to become fabulously wealthy

7 hours ago, Toxn said:

Steam generators seem like an awesome idea until you figure out how much it's gonna cost to make the little fuckers...

Well, and realize just how frightening the idea of leaving untrained survivalist types unsupervised around pressure vessels is. Especially when you just know they're gonna use this shit to power their meth labs.

10 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

eBurxi6.jpg?1

Fuck this guy.

If I remember correctly, this cunt was involved with Abound Solar along with Pat Stryker. Not his first time to the green energy scam rodeo.

For those not in Colorado, Abound was basically a scaled down version of the Solyndra pooch screw. They used a solar panel company to launder federal "renewable energy" money to politicians.  The company went bankrupt, and selling everything at auction didn't even make enough money to decontaminate the sight of be the cadmium telluride and cadmium chloride that they were using to make the panel. Typicaltion bullshit.

53 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Steam generators seem like an awesome idea until you figure out how much it's gonna cost to make the little fuckers...

Well, and realize just how frightening the idea of leaving untrained survivalist types unsupervised around pressure vessels is. Especially when you just know they're gonna use this shit to power their meth labs.

It's not too bad, since we're talking about USB charger levels of power.

Using off-the-shelf stuff I reckon you can make one for something like $350. Which means that you'd sell your kits for something like $500.

Which is an expensive way to charge a phone, but well within the price range for overpriced office toys.

4 hours ago, roguetechie said:

So long as they're doing it far from civilisation, surely it's a self-limiting problem?

2 hours ago, Xlucine said:

So long as they're doing it far from civilisation, surely it's a self-limiting problem?

Trailer parks have zero lot lines though, and flash heating a fuck ton of anhydrous ammonia and other goodness before the windows and outer skin of the trailer can fully let go could create some pretty epic havoc all on it's own.

That's before you even consider the insane hazmat situation you'd instantly create.

Then again I was also thinking somewhere in the 1-7.5 kilowatt range.

Steam is really neat and everything right up to the point where it goes wrong.