Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Deceive the Credulous; Become Fabulously Wealthy

Collimatrix

6 hours ago, Toxn said:

It's not too bad, since we're talking about USB charger levels of power.

Using off-the-shelf stuff I reckon you can make one for something like $350. Which means that you'd sell your kits for something like $500.

Which is an expensive way to charge a phone, but well within the price range for overpriced office toys.

When you said $10,000 I was thinking what sort of single system you could build for $10,000.

Assuming you used something relatively cheap to construct for the steam engine itself (ie green steam engine or "Tesla turbines") and depending on the heat source etc you were choosing to use you could bash together something around 3 kilowatts with $10,000 without having to resort to too much scary adhoccery.

I specifically listed the green steam engine and the "Tesla Turbine" for a few very specific reasons.

1. If you value your life your pressure vessel and fittings are going to eat a huge portion of your budget so you're not going to have a bunch of money for the actual engine.

2. I know that they both work and there's design tools out there that will help you figure out the specifics of size etc for a given power rating. And both designs are very scalable within the 1 watt to 10 kilowatt range.

3. They can be made with relatively little expensive machining. This includes things like matching actual shaft rpm to the rpm needed to drive your actual generator at something approaching proper speeds with minimal need for super complex gearing etc.

Hehehehehe, I like this thread. Reminds me of, back in the “Dust Bowl”, when salesman came around promising to make it rain. They’d talk about how in WWI it often rained after a heavy battle because of all the dust and dirt kicked up from explosions. They would have a rocket with them and proclaim that, “for a small fee”, they could launch the rocket and give the atmosphere some dust to make clouds with... needless to say, it was a total sham, and never worked, but people still bought into it. 

Edit: you think the same thing could work in Saudi? They are having a water problem... 

28 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Hehehehehe, I like this thread. Reminds me of, back in the “Dust Bowl”, when salesman came around promising to make it rain. They’d talk about how in WWI it often rained after a heavy battle because of all the dust and dirt kicked up from explosions. They would have a rocket with them and proclaim that, “for a small fee”, they could launch the rocket and give the atmosphere some dust to make clouds with... needless to say, it was a total sham, and never worked, but people still bought into it. 

Edit: you think the same thing could work in Saudi? They are having a water problem... 

Cloud seeding is a real technology, but it's not particularly useful.

Wide-scale weather manipulation is pretty much beyond our species right now.  When you read that the total energy involved in a hurricane could reasonably be measured in kilotons per second, it's pretty clear why.  Weather systems are giant, and we are tiny.

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

Cloud seeding is a real technology, but it's not particularly useful.

Wide-scale weather manipulation is pretty much beyond our species right now.  When you read that the total energy involved in a hurricane could reasonably be measured in kilotons per second, it's pretty clear why.  Weather systems are giant, and we are tiny.

I was more referring to how they tried to seed clouds in a very arid environment, where there was basically no moisture to make clouds! Also the size of the rockets were between the size of someone’s forearm to the size of their leg, so the amount of particles placed probably wouldn’t have cause any meaningful changes in rain (or lack there of). 

Either way, I doubt the Saudi farmers would know that, so this could be somewhat lucrative, so long as no one tells the local sheikh or cleric ;) 

On 4/24/2018 at 11:39 AM, Lord_James said:

Either way, I doubt the Saudi farmers would know that, so this could be somewhat lucrative, so long as no one tells the local sheikh or cleric ;) 

The only glaring potential issue I see here is that not giving all the people further up the chain their cut is pretty much a death penalty offense in Saudi Arabia, so if you are going to do this I wouldn't hire anyone you're particularly attached to for your in country sales service or management teams.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Scolopax said:

Horse-drawn carts could become a hipster thing without too much effort.

Horses are effort though.

Horse and carriage uber I can totally see working.

Edit: I'm actually remarkably okay with this - I think that building a city around rail and mostly non-ic transport would honestly be a step forward for urban spaces.

And it would make for charming cities, since I'll only ever come to costa rica as a tourist.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/9/2018 at 7:14 PM, Scolopax said:

I chose to watch a Pewdiepie video and it actually didn't seem that bad

tl:dr Lots of Youtubers and other random internet people are promoting/shilling an online therapy service that might not actually be therapy (at all) and could quite possibly be a scam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Using blood from young people to stave off death, dementia, and wrinkles is/was recently a thing.

"'Young blood' company Ambrosia halts patient treatments after FDA warning"

Ambrosia, for example, had been charging $8,000 for one liter of blood and $12,000 for two as part of a clinical trial. The blood was donated by 16- to 25-year-olds to consumers ages 35 and older.

2 hours ago, Scolopax said:

Using blood from young people to stave off death, dementia, and wrinkles is/was recently a thing.

"'Young blood' company Ambrosia halts patient treatments after FDA warning"

Do they... are they... is this really... 

This is just as retarded as having sex with a virgin curing STDs (looking at you, SE Asia). You know what, let these people who buy this obvious scam be idiots, and waste their money, and hopefully after several years of “therapy” realize that there’s nothing in their miserable lives that makes their life worth saving anyway. Inbred mongrels, probably the same people who are anti-vaxx or believe the earth is flat and our governments are just a bunch of Illuminati puppets. 

I’ve had a stressful day, so let’s start over: 

god these people are stupid; can’t wait for trump to actually make his death camps and put these people in first... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, Lord_James said:

This is just as retarded as having sex with a virgin curing STDs (looking at you, SE Asia). You know what, let these people who buy this obvious scam be idiots, and waste their money, and hopefully after several years of “therapy” realize that there’s nothing in their miserable lives that makes their life worth saving anyway. Inbred mongrels, probably the same people who are anti-vaxx or believe the earth is flat and our governments are just a bunch of Illuminati puppets. 

god these people are stupid; can’t wait for trump to actually make his death camps and put these people in first... 

It's not entirely pseudoscientific.  That is to say, it's not like someone said "hey, lol, what if we sell people on using the blood of virgins to maintain eternal youth, only this time do it intravenously :))))))"

It's called parabiosis, and it does work.  At least in rats.  In labs.  Sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, Lord_James said:

I just found this good breakdown:

It gives a really good summary of how this went off the rails.