Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
LostCosmonaut

Nuclear Energy Discussion Resources

There's been a lot written about nuclear energy, radiation, and similar topics. Some of it is good. Most of it isn't. This thread is to post any good resources you've discovered on nuclear topics. Books, articles, random internet pages, anything useful goes here.

I'll start with a couple books I've gotten out of the library at work. Most of the stuff in the work library is fairly old, but they're all pretty decent.

The Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear, by Petr Beckmann (1977)

Good comparison of the relative hazards of nuclear power and continued use of fossil fuels, among other things. Also features burning hatred of Ralph Nader. Very pro-nuclear. Possibly written by a temporally displaced Collimatrix.

Before It's Too Late: A Scientist's Case for Nuclear Power, by Bernard Cohen (1983)

Talks about a lot of the misinformation in the world about radiation and nuclear power, as well as the actual effects of radiation compared to public perception. Pro-nuclear, with a somewhat less blunt tone than the previous book.

Our Radiant World, by David Lillie (1986)

Discussion of radiation in the world, due to natural sources, man-made sources (such as medical X-rays), and nuclear testing. Has good factual data on things such as radon exposure, Three Mile Island radiation releases, and other stuff. More neutral tone, moderately pro-nuclear.

My favorite book so far on the subject is Raymond L. Murray's Nuclear Energy, which is a great layman's reference because it explains everything from first principles.  If you already have a high school or college education in physics you'll see a lot of familiar ground covered, but if not you won't be left behind.  If you can handle the math, of course.

For a good history of US nuclear weapons, I recommend Chuck Hansek's book.  It has enough detail of the design of the devices to satisfy anyone who's interested but who doesn't have a security clearance (like a brief description of how Teller-Ulam devices work), and a lot of interesting anecdotes about the background of the project.  It was in this book that I learned how much of a lash-up the first nuclear weapons are.  Apparently the explosive lenses on Fat Man were fine-tuned by stuffing tissue paper in between the gaps between them to shim them into alignment.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LostCosmonaut
      Metal cooled reactors have several advantages over pressurized water reactors. For one, their power density is greater, additionally, the coolant is unpressurized, improving safety.

However, there are some downsides. The Soviets' Project 705 class submarines were powered by liquid metal reactors utilizing a lead-bismuth alloy as coolant. This alloy had a freezing temperature of roughly 400K. As a result, the reactors had to be run constantly, even while the submarines were in port (there were facilities to provide superheated steam to the reactors while the subs were docked, but they broke down and were never repaired). This reduces the lifetime of the reactor. Another coolant choice which has been used operationally is NaK (Sodium-Potassium). This alloy is liquid at room temperature, but reacts violently with water or air. I'm not an expert, but this seems like a bad thing.

It seems to me that if appropriate coolants could be found, it seems that liquid metal fast reactors could see more widespread acceptance. To my untrained eye, gallium looks like a good choice. Its melting point is relatively close to room temperature (~303K), and the boiling point is quite high (over 2600K). Also, gallium is less reactive than sodium or other alkali metals. It appears that there has been some research on this topic: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149197000000640(unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall), and it looks quite promising.

Anybody have any opinions on this, or suggestions for alternative coolants?
    • By LostCosmonaut
      During the Cold War, many neutral states made efforts to develop nuclear weapons. Very few of these resulted in a working bomb. One of these failures was Switzerland; http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Library/Swissdoc.html

Interestingly, the Swiss also managed to cock up their nuclear power program; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucens_reactor
    • By Priory_of_Sion
      The Manhattan Project gets all the glory(it deserves it), but the Soviets quickly developed their own atomic weapons. They had some help through espionage, but I think it might be another piece of McCarthyism to dismiss Soviet atomic scientists. 

Here is a post on the Nuclear Secrecy Blog on the early program. Good insight, but not the end-all-be-all of information on the subject. 

A Model of the First Lightning/Joe 1 bomb?