Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Get Away, Damnit. (The Camping Thread)

10 minutes ago, Khand-e said:

"I understand bringing the Enfield, but was the 1907 pattern bayonet necessary?"

"You really need a surplus flamethrower to defoliate the camp site?"

"Is bringing an AAVP-7A1 to this park and the boating docks even legal?"

"Why are you pointing the pre B CZ75 at ME!?"

When I go camping, it's  SMLE/09 Bayonet, and MkVI Webley. The CZ stays in the glovebox. 

And I have NEVER used a flamethrower in a park.

Also, the AAVP sucks for trolling.  Really a BTR is a lot better.

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2017 at 7:40 PM, Khand-e said:

"I understand bringing the Enfield, but was the 1907 pattern bayonet necessary?"

"You really need a surplus flamethrower to defoliate the camp site?"

"Is bringing an AAVP-7A1 to this park and the boating docks even legal?"

"Why are you pointing the pre B CZ75 at ME!?"

1- Yes, as with the bayonet, I can use the rifle as a tentpole.

2- Yes, as once I burnoff all the foliage, I can fill it with premetherin/bifetherin,and murder all the fleas, ticks, etc..

3- Hey, it's fucking registered.  I got the same shit when I had the  Type 2 Ka-Mi, now that I have a bit of real U.S. kit, it's the same shit?

BRB loading the 40mm Bloop. 

4- Because there is a U.P. mosquito hovering behind you, and I forgot the 40mm BOFORS.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/foodless-odyssey-riding-across-haidai-gwaii-sustained-solely-by-nature.html

@Donward this is kind of interesting. And hilarious. A few riders try going 200km in a week but don't bring any food. They rely completely on stuff they can kill/catch/gather on the way.

Watching them stumble around the woods with compound bows was the best part. "We couldn't get close to the deer" Yeah no fucking shit you couldn't. Wild deer aren't city deer. You can't just walk up on one no problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 5:27 PM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I bought a house and that was taking up a lot of time. But my wife, her friend, and myself managed to get out into the woods this weekend. 

I need to file my knife down again.

40122707_10216887434727958_8157275727088

(I got a new, MUCH LARGER monitor, and)  JESUS FUCKING CHRIST what did you do to that knife!?

I have a Buck 124 that is likely older than most of the internet, that has seen more abuse than a trailer-park crackwhore, and it's nowhere near as messed up as that.

17 hours ago, Meplat said:

(I got a new, MUCH LARGER monitor, and)  JESUS FUCKING CHRIST what did you do to that knife!?

I have a Buck 124 that is likely older than most of the internet, that has seen more abuse than a trailer-park crackwhore, and it's nowhere near as messed up as that.

Chopping up a bunch of wood while camping over the last two years.

This blade is pretty brittle. This knife was $20 so I say I got a decent run out of it. I'm going to try to file those parts down, but using a hand file is going to take forever. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 1:49 AM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Yeah it certainly would be a better option.

Honestly, I think a machete or a sami knife would be better, chops just as well in my experiance.  I rarely use my hatchet.  I have actually chopped down more trees with my spade than with the hatchet. 

• 1 month later...

Still trying to get nieces and nephews down here (Kentucky) for camping.

Did it a while back in the U.P. where it was in a super urbanized campground.

Trying to get them to go for a no bullshit, in the boonies kind of camp. (not that Kentucky can do that, but they would be amazed to just be away from cell service).

Showed them my basic "bad shit" bag while visiting this Christmas, and got some of them interested.  Not a bad thing for where the live, since if they lose all utilities, it can still get pretty cold.

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS NOT SAFE FOR KNIFE CRIME ISLAND.

I was nosing around an antique mall with wife and friend today. Found a few pocket knives, but no Old Timers or Case knives.

But then I managed to spot this thing sitting on a high shelf. 

No photo description available.

Blade didn't seem pitted. Sheath needed some work. So I busted out some polishing material and a dremel. 

Image may contain: shoes

Turned out decently.

I have no idea of the make or the age. Looks like a rat tail tang but it's weighted very well. I'm going to put an edge on it and check the length next.

7 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

It's heavy. 

What are you using it for? What temp range camping? I've got probably 4 or 5 sleeping bags of all types. 

General, was interested because it covers a broader range than the current one I have (by shedding/adding components).

Also was interested because of the pseudo-bivvy that comes with the full kit.

I have no experience with that particular bag. Is the bivvy waterproof? 

I have a three season lightweight and an emergency bivvy it can go into. It's good down to 30 easily. I have a four seasons synthetic that if I bivvy would cook me. And my wife and I have a double that's huge and only suitable for car camping but it fits us plus a small dog. 

I would rather have a lighter bag and a bivvy than multiple components to remove for different situations. My bivvy plus bag weigh about a pound (3 season).