Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Get Away, Damnit. (The Camping Thread)

3 hours ago, Meplat said:

It's Gore Tex so "kind of".

I'm more concerned with it being windproof.

Also, I'll mainly be car-camping, my packing days are long dead, so weight is not so much of an issue.

It'll probably be just fine then. Is it a mummy bag? 

I can't lie, I have an issue with those. I need more feet room.

19 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

It'll probably be just fine then. Is it a mummy bag? 

I can't lie, I have an issue with those. I need more feet room.

Not as much as my old one was. It's got a larger foot-box.

22 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

49753066_304919713491103_385290370684026880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-1.fna&oh=cdf62aff74f5a48192a9ee1d3d95b8d4&oe=5CB5D878

49342396_395604384510694_7478266591868616704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-1.fna&oh=7a465898c573e054b4e32e625eba949d&oe=5CD87509

We got some snow today.

We had a trace of it here in Kentucky.

Some visiting relatives in the upstairs apartment were freaking out.  I said "It will be rainy and 40F by morning".

(I was off a bit, but the snow did fuck right off).

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

From last week.

uZUyOGb.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

bVLVmn4.jpg

B2CzaH1.jpg

blDgm6q.jpg

Hj13wMo.jpg

wTP29ZY.jpg

Today:

MeIpuhh.jpg

Hide contents

GFqztNI.jpg

a37YRGe.jpg

WBPzVEH.jpg

ztS2yF9.jpg

YfBw9Ki.jpg

The first and sixth photo remind me of my childhood in Michigan.

In fact, a lot of Russia  looks like much of Michigan.  (or something like that).

10 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me as well, lest this snowflake decided to camp at an organized shoot.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

People actually use shit like that article to decide what they take camping?

FFS.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, LoooSeR said:

Not exactly camping, but we were away from city. 

CsPu5EF.jpg

Hide contents

JgcPRRr.jpg

ZIVxRjw.jpg

HSXyKHK.jpg

2m7q0nk.jpg

PYCsmuW.jpg

7lrQisG.jpg

3P2vVNS.jpg

BdBEtkf.jpg

PVt914h.jpg

iU4heQK.jpg

KzexAod.jpg

Looks like Lake Michigan. Probably isin't.

Russians I've met "visit" Michigan , and then leave.  Poles seem to love it (and Czechs).

I admit I miss parts of my birthland, but Arizona had far better ranges, and Kentucky has absurdly better fishing and hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

14 km of walking in St.Petersburg with my friend through 3 islands. When we were getting to the end (subway station) we discovered that today local footbal team was playing. Thank god that sea of humans was exiting subway station instead of getting in.

HEugYgN.png?1

00Uqr8H.jpg

Gazprom's scyscraper - Lakhta-center.

Spoiler

DaVWlre.jpg

wGjIxkF.jpg

KOuTOPn.jpg

kBQ2ccT.jpg

fgVr8zf.jpg

pnL3rQB.jpg

HtnUlru.jpg

8rDgusT.jpg

rm9xZgp.jpg

5tMAWBb.jpg

zNOtpzR.jpg

f8r4EGv.jpg

0f03Neo.jpg

9qNO049.jpg

nrO5aEA.jpg

WqOmqOG.jpg

mTlELQr.jpg

lION0Dy.jpg

14nb53j.jpg

iWyFt3c.jpg

LMs5xpC.jpg

VbujL6M.jpg

tF7o2Ba.jpg

vJPc9ax.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Continue to walk around in our city, with friend. 

lWrftUr.jpg

bWpu8ET.jpg

One of many emitters of Russian Propaganda.

Spoiler

6HU0tIt.jpg

Main source of Russian Propaganda Mind Control towers in St.Petersburg. Can't get up there without gravity gun, though.

kl92AmD.jpg

No idea what happened to this building.

EUc7zIF.jpg

Either this is secret bunker entrance, or Subway station entrance tonnel to Viborgskaya, not sure on which one.

gqySpaZ.jpg

What i'm sure about is that this tonnel walls were covered in condensate.

JYQX4tB.jpg

Same for ceiling.

uUryklC.jpg

This place is so empty that underground pass have only 1 pigeon inside of it.

eFVNVUj.jpg

Well, 3 pigeons in total.

IrDISVO.jpg

• 5 months later...

My appology for not proper camping but here's some photos from my hiking trips around Czechia (and a bit of Poland). Maybe an inspiration for someone. Czechia is probably the easiest country in the world for hiking. There is very dense, more than hundred years old, network of hiking paths which are well signed and also available on online maps. Since the country has pretty high population density you also can not hike too long without getting into some village or town and there are (nearly) no bears or wolfs to go after you. All in all no real advanture but a nice experience anyway. I do around 300 km of hiking per year depending on my free time and still have thousands left to do. All photos are from my phone, so the quality is corresponding. 

Here is just few of the photos. I don't want to flood this thread but if you are interested I can post a lot more or make a special thread. 

Sunrise on the Raná hill near Louny (some 60 km west of Prague)

hc1PJsy.jpg

View from Sedlo mountain, north-western Bohemia near German border

928Eo7n.jpg

One of many ponds in southern Bohemia

zGEprkT.jpg

Potštejn castle, eastern Bohemia

I9Wyrqq.jpg

View from Srebrna Góra fortress towards the Czech border, Poland. What You can see is one of the forts of this absolutely massive fortress built by Frederick the Great after the war with Austria so that Laudon could never ever take Klodzko principality again. The fortress had around 220 guns and 4000 soldiers of the permanent crew and even Napolen didn't manage take it. Some say it's the biggest mountain fortress in Europe. 

4161pLr.jpg

Since nobody complained I will add a few more photos. This time some mysterious places :)

One of the underground halls of the unfinished German project Riese with the original wooden formwork. There are seven underground complexes known. They are located in today's Poland in the mountains on the border with Czechia near the city of Walbrzych. This area was part of Germany till 1950 when it was given to Poland. Nobody knows what was the purpose of the project Riese because all documents are destroyed. The only known thing is number of deceased prisoners from Auschwitz which were building it (around 5000) and the amount of concrete spent (actually twice higher than what is known today). One of the undeground complexes is located under the castle Ksiaz and accessible with a lift. It's like something from Return to Castle Wolfenstein :D   

7I5WOO5.jpg

Remains of Jan Žižka's fortres Kalich in the north-western Bohemia. This fortress was built in 1421 during Hussite wars as one of the very first purpose built artillery fortresses. It was abandoned in 16th century and nearly nothing is left of it. It's still a beautiful place. 

zUVPFJH.jpg

Kalich from distance (the hill on the right)

liOIZjd.jpg

Entrance to some of the auxiliary buildings of the unfinished German undeground factory Richard at the edge of Litoměřice town in north-western Bohemia. This factory was being built by prisoners from the nearby concentration camp Terezín. 

0OWALi4.jpg

Remains of a vila which was used as the HQ of Litoměřice Gestapo just few hundred meters away. It was abandoned after the war and it looks like something from a horror movie today. 

JG4xfHN.jpg

Devastated castle Český Rudolec, south Bohemia. This castle is slowly being rebuilt by a private initiative (so far the tower and the roofs are rebuilt). This castle was devastated at the end of WW2 when it was used a hospital for a POW camp before their transport to Siberia. After that it was given to local collective farm and used for God knows what. 

TK79Flg.jpg

A church left of destroyed monastery in the south Bohemian village Klášter (Klášter = Monastery). The monastery was used as a factory in 1950' before it was razed to the ground. 

j4LK5wB.jpg

The beautifully reconstructed church in a tiny mountain village Neratov in the eastern Bohemia (exactly on the Polish border). The church was a well known pilgrimage site before the WW2 but it was burned down when it was hit by Soviet artillery. Now there is a community of disabled people living in that village led by a priest who managed to realize the reconstruction of the church, building of a brewery etc.  

B6ztWZo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Few photos from last weekend taken by my phone. It was all taken around the Orlík dam, which is the biggest in Czechia (by volume, the lake is rather narrow but 64 km long). Currently the water level is kept lowered by some ten meters or so. The castle has the same name Orlík. The road bridge called Žďákovský was finished in 1967 and in that time it had the longest arc of all the bridges of this type in the world. Now not anymore of course. The bridge became infamous in 90' when a gang of murders was throwing bodies of their victims sealed in barrels from the bridge. Anyway strange January... 

nzqg1lk.jpg

pnT0Jzk.jpg

weKbpXI.jpg

ZX6qJ4G.jpg

owgcHUt.jpg

rWbb5vW.jpg

• 2 months later...

Social distancing vol.3, this time Orlické mountains, north-east Bohemia on the Polish border, view towards Krkonoše mountains (barely visible white snowy peaks).

M171g4L.jpg

4y3izJC.jpg

fLXyMhc.jpg

Sometimes you find something you don't expect to be there - like this. The memorial is located directly at the border on the top of a mountain ridge and there is exactly nothing but forest now (the other names on the memorial are Franz-Joseph I. and Fryderyk Chopin). They say that there used to be a German tourist restaurant there but it was burned in 1945 (before 1950 the neigbouring state in this area was Germany). 

WJsr17N.jpg