Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Walter_Sobchak

Tank Myths

40 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Are you talking heresy again?

Just my personal experiences :)  I've driven T-55 many times, and I didnt feel any discomfort at all. OK, maybe the difficulty of switching to 3rd gear sometimes, but that depends on the condition of the machine. Also check Nick Moran's video about T-55, and while the commander's place is indeed bad, the other places are much better, especially the gunners'. 

I sat in T-72 too, although only in an exhibition. It wasnt bad at all. Little bit cramped, but nothing horrible.

WT's MBT-70 has lots of controversy.

> Some claim the 152mm gun could actually achieve it's listed APFSDS penetration

> Some claim the loader could feed the gun a missile every 5 seconds

Are these false?

I recall reading some material stating that because the 152mm did not have any indication of being able to fire the projectile, a ported 105mm sabot, at any greater power than the L7.

3 hours ago, Peasant said:

> Some claim the 152mm gun could actually achieve it's listed APFSDS penetration

Are these false?

I recall reading some material stating that because the 152mm did not have any indication of being able to fire the projectile, a ported 105mm sabot, at any greater power than the L7.

In the WT version, does the driver have to take periodic vomit breaks due to motion sickness?

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

In the WT version, does the driver have to take periodic vomit breaks due to motion sickness?

No. In WT such considerations are not relevant.

Although there is a certain disdain for making the Soviet tech tree more historically accurate by not openly gimping their ammo selection.

9 hours ago, Peasant said:

Are these false?

While I don't recall anything regarding the loading system for MBT-70 and its handling of Missiles (there were two autoloader designs, one from GM, one from Rheinmetall - the GM one worked better...), but the MBT-70 APFSDS is overperforming by a good deal in WT. That said, other changes to the game lineup have made this largely a moot point.

(It is amusing that the APFSDS penetrates so well, it makes the HEAT and Missiles basically redundant despite the APFSDS never being intended to be the main round issued and purely a short-range backup)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LoooSeR
      Hello, my friends and Kharkovites, take a sit and be ready for your brains to start to work - we are going to tell you a terrible secret of how to tell apart Soviet tanks that actually works like GLORIOUS T-80 and The Mighty T-72 from Kharkovites attempt to make a tank - the T-64. Many of capitalists Westerners have hard time understanding what tank is in front of them, even when they know smart words like "Kontakt-5" ERA. Ignoramus westerners!

Because you are all were raised in several hundreds years old capitalism system all of you are blind consumer dummies, that need big noisy labels and shiny colorful things to be attached to product X to be sold to your ignorant heads and wallets, thats why we will need to start with basics. BASICS, DA? First - how to identify to which tank "family" particular MBT belongs to - to T-64 tree, or T-72 line, or Superior T-80 development project, vehicles that don't have big APPLE logo on them for you to understand what is in front of you. And how you can do it in your home without access to your local commie tank nerd? 

Easy! Use this Putin approved guide "How to tell appart different families of Soviet and Russian tanks from each other using simple and easy to spot external features in 4 steps: a guide for ignorant western journalists and chairborn generals to not suck in their in-depth discussions on the Internet".

Chapter 1: Where to look, what to see.

T-64 - The Ugly Kharkovite tank that doesn't work 

We will begin with T-64, a Kharkovite attempt to make a tank, which was so successful that Ural started to work on their replacement for T-64 known as T-72. Forget about different models of T-64, let's see what is similar between all of them.

T-72 - the Mighty weapon of Workers and Peasants to smash westerners

Unlike tank look-alike, made by Kharkovites mad mans, T-72 is true combat tank to fight with forces of evil like radical moderate barbarians and westerners. Thats why we need to learn how identify it from T-64 and you should remember it's frightening lines!

The GLORIOUS T-80 - a Weapon to Destroy and Conquer bourgeois countries and shatter westerners army

And now we are looking at the Pride of Party and Soviet army, a true tank to spearhead attacks on decadent westerners, a tank that will destroy countries by sucking their military budgets and dispersing their armies in vortex of air, left from high-speed charge by the GLORIOUS T-80!

The T-80 shooting down jets by hitting them behind the horizont 

• By sevich
      I realize that sandbags provide little to no armor protection, but soldiers still used them on tanks. Would they mitigate the effects of HE warheads, or the blastwave of HEAT warheads?
    • By T___A
      This shall be the general thread for all things soviet tanks. I shall start by posting an article I just wrote for my blog. I would recommend Archive Awarness which is an excellent blog about Soviet tanks and their experiences with other nation's tanks.