3. Laviduce

Laviduce

4. Alzoc

Alzoc

5. Serge

Serge

• Similar Content

• By Toxn
      Part 5 of a multi-part series. This one's got the goods.

Sherman and firefly.

Early crusader.

Early Valentine. The British really went through a phase where they slapped 2 pounders onto everything.

Father.

Son.

Holy ghost.

Comet, aka Hipster Centurion.

Centurion, aka The entire History of South African tanks post-WW2.

T-shirt cannon Churchill.

Combat engineers get no respect.

This thing is tiny and has an insane steering system.

Somehow this thing is even smaller. Those twin barrels are for a flamethrower of some sort, because the Italians were world-class optimists.

• By Jamby
      Sooooo...after doing a site-wide search and perusing Google, I'm surprised not to have found anything about tank suspension, other than a somewhat doubtful thread on the WoT forums. Would my learned colleagues of SH be able to assist me in understanding and identifying the different types of tank suspension? I think I've got leaf-spring more or less mastered, as well as both VVSS and HVSS (thanks, JGT!) but was somewhat embarrassed not to be able to differentiate between the suspension of a Type 97 Chi-Ha and an FV4201 Chieftain.

UPDATE: I think I understand tank suspension better now. Thanks, everyone!
    • By Darjeeling
      Greetings  I am Darjeeling and I come from Hong Kong. Recently as Turkey launched the OB so I investigate in the TAF as I am a apoist.

The following article will mainly focus on the best armoured unit of TAF. All the data are collected from internet and I need help to complete it.

[Introduction on armour unit organisation]

Turkish tank brigades included three tank battalions while in the mechanised brigades just 1 tank battalion. Each tank battalion consists of 41 tanks. The staff and management team consists of 2 tanks, 39 armored rest distributed to 3 tank Wrotham. Each tank company consists of 13 tanks while 1 tank company commander and platoon 4 to 3 tanks. 

Since the showing the TO&E of all armoured units should be too long, the following will only present some  "Ace armoured unit".
        =====   Version 1.1 

Welcome for any suggestions/addition on this issue

1)M60T units

M60T is a modernised M-60 which is capable with T-72s. Turkey utilizing large numbers of these tanks have been seen deploying to the southern border in the previous years. They were used during incursions into Syria and Iraq in earlier operations to combat Kurdish forces in both nations.

Here are what I confirmed:

- 5th Armoured Brigades
      (Confirmed in internet data)

- 20th Armoured Brigades

- 172nd Armoured Brigades

They are believed to have equipped with M60T. As each Turkey tank battalion consists of 41 tanks, a total of 123 out of 170 should have counted. I believe there maybe one brigades unknown.

Example in real combat:
      >M60T act as spearhead and attaching a YPG town but being ambushed. Two tanks were destroyed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78lnBhcA_n0

2) Leopard 2 units

Turkey has 354 of highly capable Leopard 2 German manufactured tanks. Leopard are currently deployed in Syria in OB and the previous OB. It is most likely that these more capable MBTs are with units tasked with guarding Turkey’s border with Russia and the Caucasus, where they would have to fight against a much more capable adversary. 

Here are what I  confirmed:

- 2nd Armoured Brigade
      (Confirmed in Operation ES as casualties)

- 3th Armoured Brigade
      (Confirmed in the 2016 failed coup)

- 5th Armoured Brigade 
      (Confirmed in Operation OB as casualties)

So it is obviously that more efforts needed to be done on Leo2. Only half of them counted.

The Leo2a4 of TAF is the outdated version that it's last update is in 1992. So this explained why it performed so bad in ES. Total 10 tanks were confirmed lost in the battle and even captured by ISIS.

Yet, while facing the poor equipped and trained YPG/J, only 3 Leo 2 was destroyed in OB. 2 was taken out because the engine was penetrated and taken out by Air Force (prevent captured by YPG/J). The only effort of YPG/J is penetrating a Leo 2 from flank and lead to the blow. 

Example in real combat:

>Leo 2 receive a direct hit by YPG but it was not destroyed. High survivability showed. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YafzmkvVRiI

3) M60A3 units 

M60A3 is a 2nd Gen-MBT in TAF. They are mostly used as supporting fire unit to assist the infantry. Yet, the performance of M60A3 relatively bad.

Here are what I confirmed:

- 16th Mechanised Brigade 
      (Confirmed in Operation ES as casualties)

- 39th Mechanised Brigade 
      (Confirmed in Operation OB as casualties)

Example in real combat:

>M60A3 being hit as no soldiers protect it in ES

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=pg-rbEC0jXI&ebc=ANyPxKqRFXar7bNqSS5wcCJspZFJMnyoQD0qixyUheJgMdLHy5q0eQakNmCBv16NSoGjfAoNbcP4cGDbJHXTpR7eJhobZW8EPw

—————

PPS:This is my post about order of battle of OB about TAF

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/81nml8/keep_updateturkish_order_of_battle_of_ob_up_to/?st=JEE2UT1F&sh=d04daee9
    • By Jagdika
      All photos were taken by myself in year 2016 during my visit to Beijing. Tanks are from the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution and the Tank Museum(currently closed). Enjoy.

No.1: Type 94 Light armored car (Tankette) in the Tank Museum

This is the early version of the Type 94 Tankette. It was found in a river in 1970s. It is the best preserved Type 94 Tankette in the world.

No.2: Type 97 Medium Tank in the Tank Museum

This is a late version Type 97 medium tank. It carries the old small 57mm gun turret but has the revised engine ventilation port. This tank was donated by the Soviet 7th mechanized division  before they withdrew from China in 1955.

No.3: Type 97 Medium Tank Kai in the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution

This Type 97 Medium Tank Kai's combat serial number is 102. It belonged to the former China North-East tank regiment. It took part in the attack of Jinzhou against KMT army on 1948-9-14, and did great contribution for knocking out their bunkers and MG nests by shooting and ramming. Thus after the battle this tank was awarded with an honored name:"The Hero(功臣号)“ About the tank itself, it was assembled by the Chinese army themselves by using destroyed or damaged Chi-Ha parts after the surrender of Japan. This particular tank was built up with a normal Type 97's chassis(57mm gun version) early model, and a Type 97 Kai's Shinhoto(New turret for the 47mm gun). However there are other saying claim that this tank was modified by the Japanese. It was the first tank that roared over the Tiananmen Square during the Founding Ceremony of China on 1949-10-1.

The same tank on 1949-10-1. China's tank army origins from old IJA tanks.

No.4: Type 97 Medium Tank in the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution

Sorry, only one photo was taken. This Type 97 Medium Tank has a chassis from Type 97 Medium Tank Kai and a turret from a normal Type 97 Medium Tank. It was merged together by the Chinese army.

No.5: Type 95 Armored Track(Train track) Vehicle in the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution

Only two samples survived. One is in China here and one is in Kubinka, Russia (Maybe now it is transfered to the Patriot Park? I don't know).

Hope you enjoy the photos I took! No repost to other places without my permission.