Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Do you need some joy in your day?  Go check out Arms of the '80s, a collection of clippings from gun magazines from the 1980s.  Cringe!  Grimace!  Laugh!

Looks like a lot of the magazines I sent Sturgeon.

I used to have a whole shitpile of those old gun wank-rags from the 80's.

I am a little skeptical about the RBD-C's grip design:

RDB-C_spitfire_amtac_D6A6517web.jpg

That 24" barrel with a reflex suppressor is pretty neat, though.

Likely intended for a "thumb parallel" grip in lieu of the "thumb over" used by the model.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_AR-15_Mini-14.htm

Have fun everybody. And Lord I hope youve got a stiff drink to make it through the whole article.

"Keep in mind that an ordinary Marlin or Winchester lever action .30-30 carbine handles better and hits much harder at all ranges. If the need is to protect your country home, farm or ranch from an aggressive man or beast, a .30-30 carbine would be a much better choice. So would a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 6.8mm SPC caliber."

Holy shite.

"Keep in mind that an ordinary Marlin or Winchester lever action .30-30 carbine handles better and hits much harder at all ranges. If the need is to protect your country home, farm or ranch from an aggressive man or beast, a .30-30 carbine would be a much better choice. So would a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 6.8mm SPC caliber."

Holy shite.

IT JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE. 

I think the Mini-14 and Mini-30 would be more popular if the mags were less expensive but reliable.

People will over spend on an over-priced rifle and not bat an eye.

But there'll be hell to pay if they have to shell out an extra ten bucks or more on magazines.

This is very true. 

But.

The rifles are still really shitty. And when I was 13 or so, I really, really wanted a Mini. But that left very quickly. My fist intermediate rifle was a Saiga .223.

However, all of this is beside the point. 

The point is that article is atrocious. 

I think the Mini-14 and Mini-30 would be more popular if the mags were less expensive but reliable.

People will over spend on an over-priced rifle and not bat an eye.

But there'll be hell to pay if they have to shell out an extra ten bucks or more on magazines.

Well, that and if they had a reputation of accuracy above a 50% chance of hitting a target in your zip code.

I notice a distinct lack of shot numbers per group.

50 Yard Shooting Results

CMMG AR-15 M4 LE

• Hornady Varmint Express 55 grain V-MAX: Smallest group = 1.3"; Largest group = 2.5"; Mean average group size = 1.77"

Ruger Mini-14 Tactical

• Hornady Varmint Express 55 grain V-MAX: Smallest group = 1.5"; Largest group = 2"; Mean average group size = 1.83"

This time out, Bob shot the smallest group. Our combined average group size for both carbines at 50 yards was 1.8", which would translate to 3.6" at 100 yards.

In its stand alone review, the Mini-14 achieved an average 50 yard group size of 1.66" with the same ammunition at the same rifle range. The average group size from both range sessions with the Mini-14 would be 1.75". We'd say there was nothing to choose in accuracy between our AR-15 and Mini-14 test rifles. Actually, both performed better than expected.

Well, that and if they had a reputation of accuracy above a 50% chance of hitting a target in your zip code.

I don't know man. The last Mini-14 owner I personally hung out with was my little brother's school mate who - when we piled out of our cars to go shooting - mag dumped his gun into the dirt ten feet in front of us while laughing maniacally. And he hit the dirt he was aiming at while shooting from the hip at least 80 percent of the time with the rest of the rounds richocheting off of rocks while the rest of us swore and dove behind cover.

This seemed normal Mini-14 owner behavior to me at the time.

Sweet baby Jesus,

Is there anything NOT wrong with the article?

Their narrative about the AR is pretty pathetic, and as usual with AR haters they act as though ammunition development has stayed completely static since 1960...

This article reminds me so much of other things I read ... Other places regularly!

I seriously had to go outside and have a 10 minute tourretes moment after reading the first 6 paragraphs.

By the way,oh hi guys I'm new here. Nathaniel knows me from other places.

Sweet baby Jesus,

Is there anything NOT wrong with the article?

Their narrative about the AR is pretty pathetic, and as usual with AR haters they act as though ammunition development has stayed completely static since 1960...

This article reminds me so much of other things I read ... Other places regularly!

I seriously had to go outside and have a 10 minute tourretes moment after reading the first 6 paragraphs.

By the way,oh hi guys I'm new here. Nathaniel knows me from other places.

Nathaniel, our glorious fish-man leader, also knows me from other places. You are welcome here. 

And yes, the article had so many cringe-worthy lines that I would be copy-pasting the ENTIRE thing to this thread if I tried to point them all out.