Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Also keeping the Beretta M9 would have been the preferred of any of these options. But I guess telling the lesbian Major at Civil Affairs to man up and grow a bigger set of hands so she can manipulate the M9's controls properly wasn't an option...

The M9 needed to be replaced for a bunch of unrelated reasons. Also, some guys have small hands, too.

The M9 needed to be replaced for a bunch of unrelated reasons. Also, some guys have small hands, too.

Well yeah. Each one has had umpteen tens of thousands of rounds through it with each part in need of replacement.

Yes. Some guys have small hands. But let's keep 1911 fanbois out of this.

Is this site any good? They have a lot of very nice photos.

http://m1919tech.com/12903.html

I am embarrassingly ignorant of the design details of Browning MGs, but that is definitely a site that looks like it was made by a true grognard.  Great find!

Surely trump would understand the need for handguns that fit smaller hands better than most?

Damn, beat me to it.

So this is a very interesting quote from the M1919 website I posted earlier. 

Saginaw Steering Gear Division of General Motors applied their considerable production 
know how by introducing the concept of casting some of the M1919 parts using a perlitic malleable iron alloy previously used to cast hard to machine interchangeable auto parts.

Saginaw trade named this class of casting materials "ArmaSteel".  The Ordnance Department used several different alloys to cast parts for weapons, however over the years all of them are commonly referred to by Saginaw's trade name.

Innovations like this, previously unknown in Government operated manufacturing facilities, lowered the cost of a single M1919A4 from a contract price of just over $650 to less than $60 in four years.

When was the last time you heard of anything like that on a government contract?  

Chrysler did a similar thing with the M3/M4 Tanks, they improved the buildability of the SHerman so much they gave money back, millions of bucks, to the government. 

Holy SHIT!!!

Sturgeon I can't possibly compete if you or Alex c intend to bid on this, so please let me know in pm if y'all are bidding because I'd hate to think I actually have a chance to grab this!

I've lusted after one for quite awhile now, and I'd even actually start bulk buying 7.62 NATO ammo to feed it if I got it... Breaking my near decade 7.62 NATO boycott!

Seriously the hac7 and a transferrable gwinn bushmaster arm gun are my grail guns!...

Why these two mid 70's to early 80's mutant weird kid guns are my grail guns is a whole other story, Freud would say it has something to do with Oedipus but fuck Freud truth is I just love oddball quixotic shit because I'm an oddball quixotic guy!

Holy SHIT!!!

Sturgeon I can't possibly compete if you or Alex c intend to bid on this, so please let me know in pm if y'all are bidding because I'd hate to think I actually have a chance to grab this!

I've lusted after one for quite awhile now, and I'd even actually start bulk buying 7.62 NATO ammo to feed it if I got it... Breaking my near decade 7.62 NATO boycott!

Seriously the hac7 and a transferrable gwinn bushmaster arm gun are my grail guns!...

Why these two mid 70's to early 80's mutant weird kid guns are my grail guns is a whole other story, Freud would say it has something to do with Oedipus but fuck Freud truth is I just love oddball quixotic shit because I'm an oddball quixotic guy!

I kind of want to bid now just to crush your hopes and dreams.

Thanks for your willingness to let me know your intentions and letting me know that I might just have half a chance to successfully win if I play my cards right...

Realistically I doubt that I can muster sufficient funds to really win the auction considering the sheer number of people who can muster a devastatingly dense federal reserve note throw weights I can't possibly match...

But with Alex likely to be sitting out this auction at least I won't get hilariously outbid by guys I occasionally bullshit with here and elsewhere...

LOL

However some famous and smart dead guy once said that a mans dreams should outreach his means...

And FWIW lots a people agree with said dead guy so, at least I can salve my disappointment should I lose with the knowledge that my pursuing my unicorn gun is a noble endeavor or some shit like that LOL

anyway, the reason that gun is one of my unicorn guns stems partially from this gun being the product of a self taught pacific northwest eccentric like me who at the very least got to bring something as awesome as a 100% original 7.62 battle rifle design briefly to life and to market...

That in itself is a great inspiration and encouraging true to reality reminder that guys like us really can turn an idea and hard work into something real and tangible with enough determination and hard work!!!

As if this weren't reason enough to want one though...

The rifle this crazy bastard brought to life has some really interesting innovative and outright awesome solutions that really are amazing and very much worth studying even several decades later.

For guts like me that's an almost irresistible mix of reasons to covet and list after one to call my own.

Thanks for your willingness to let me know your intentions and letting me know that I might just have half a chance to successfully win if I play my cards right...

I...don't think you realize how low your chances would be if I decided to bid for the hell of it.

WikiHow teaches us how Glock owners disassemble their handguns. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Disassemble-a-Glock

Put on safety glasses. There are several components that are spring-loaded and can cause serious eye damage. The glasses will also help protect from solvents and lubricants getting in your eyes.[1]

aid1786695-900px-Disassemble-a-Glock-Ste

So, my newest AR-15 after the POF is gone has been down selected from my local gun store, I decide later today when they're open.

Based on the models they have in stock, I'm trying to down select between models from FN USA, LMT, and LWRC (all DI guns this time, surprisingly all the Colt models were sold out.)

Thoughts?