Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

13 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Are y'all ready to watch some complete garbage?

Judging by his fapping over the .40 round, I know why that roll of paper towels in the background is 2/3s of the way empty...

Edit: OH my god. Stop at the 4:04 mark. The palm of his hand is right by those paper towels. I knew it. I KNEW it!

On 1/18/2017 at 0:34 AM, Collimatrix said:

I'm curious about the Steyr STM-556 and the Rheinmetall/Steyr RS-556.  Supposedly the latter is a variant of the former, but on closer inspection I'm not so sure.

I found the patent.  I found the patent because I am radiant and glorious.

1m7Aa7l.jpg

As expected, the barrel extension lives permanently in the receiver.  The patent does not show a protruding, AR-15 style cam pin, but it also does not show an AUG-style toothed bolt collar either.  There are no detailed diagrams of the bolt carrier group in the patent.  It could be that either the cam pin or the bolt collar was omitted for clarity.  The rod that transmits impulse from the piston to the bolt carrier and the charging handle have also been omitted from the patent images.

One surprise is that the bolt appears to ride on some sort of sub-frame.  Some early reports on the design described steel rails with a dry film lubricant.  That's probably what the sub-frame is.

This barely qualifies as a "small arm," but KPB instrument design bureau is developing the mother of all anti-materiel rifles.

The round will be based on the so-called necked-down case of the 30-mm round of an automatic gun and the 23-mm round of an antiaircraft gun.

Yes, that's a 30x165mm, which is nearly as powerful as the 30x173mm the GAU-8 fires, necked down to 23mm.

This is completely, gloriously insane.

10 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

This barely qualifies as a "small arm," but KPB instrument design bureau is developing the mother of all anti-materiel rifles.

Yes, that's a 30x165mm, which is nearly as powerful as the 30x173mm the GAU-8 fires, necked down to 23mm.

This is completely, gloriously insane.

So, when can I order one built on a scaled up SMLE action?

16 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah, the whole "oh, you need to test it with this ammo that we made" thing is a Remington staple.

Well if the last batch of Remington UMC I tried is any indication of what It's supposed to be tested with, somehow I don't exactly think that's going to help matters....

HK introduces new wundershutenblammenzapper:

ZBHFDsw.jpg

Translation:

The HK433 in the basis caliber 5.56 mm x 45 NATO combines the outstanding features of the G36 and HK416 assault rifles and is thus setting standards world wide.

- Modular and light construction. Compact dimensions.
- Barrel length individually configurable. Simple end-user level barrel change.
- Completly ambidextrous manipulation for right and left handed shooters.
- Non reciprocating charging handle with integrated forward assist. Switchable w/o tools.
- Lower receiver with amidextrous manipulation for G36 and HK416 users.
- Drop safe according to AC225/D14 with and w/o applied safety.
- Upper receiver with full length STANAG rail in 12 o'clock position. Hand guard with Hkey interface on 3 and 9 o'clock position. Picatinny rail on 6 o'clock position.
- Length adjustable folding stock with height adjustable cheeck weld. Weapon also usable with stock folded.
- Optional receiver integrated maintenance free shot counter.
- Tool less disassembly / assembly of major components.
- Weapon can be set to safe in all loading conditions.
- Lots of accessories available.
- Zu 100% hergestellt in Deutschland.