Sturgeon's House
Khand-e

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

9 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

DGKkYcgXsAANQsr.jpg

What is old, is new.  That mount looks a skosh "wiggily" though.

No you see, soldiers will not run out of ammo sooner than with a 5.56 rifle because they are going to make them carry the same quantity. Also wanting mags for 210 rounds when no one makes 30 round .308 mags?

To me this is a backdoor method to force the adoption of a new cartridge like .264 USA or whatever. Once they get their AR-10 type rifle it will be a simple matter to caliber swap.

17 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

No you see, soldiers will not run out of ammo sooner than with a 5.56 rifle because they are going to make them carry the same quantity. Also wanting mags for 210 rounds when no one makes 30 round .308 mags?

To me this is a backdoor method to force the adoption of a new cartridge like .264 USA or whatever. Once they get their AR-10 type rifle it will be a simple matter to caliber swap.

They're pretty up front about the caliber swap option down the road, but it will be to .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. This will also be stupid as hell.

I imagine this has been pointed out before, but the advocate bias here.

1baeab54f541316281429c762a67194dd01d4800

Poly cased 5.56 would give you 252 rounds (at 20% lighter).

Alternatively for the weight of 210 poly M855A1 you could only have ~119 poly or ~87 brass cased M80A1.

Yes, Jim Schatz was extremely well-regarded, but also extremely biased.

Although, not sure where you're getting your figures from. M80A1 is approx. 23.7 grams per, versus 12.0 grams per for M855A1. So I am getting 106 rounds brass-cased, 139 for brass-based composite polymer cased.

On the bright side, equipping troops with a weapon that requires a heavier ammo load now means the selection of the SIG modular handgun is all the more relevant as a backup/last ditch weapon when a soldier's 7.62 rifle goes dry.

:holeinthewall:

Forgotten Weapons takes a look at the Breda Modello 30:

Here are my takeaways:

1)  These must have cost an absurd amount of money.  The receiver is extremely large, and has a large amount of complex machining.

2)  Is that magazine... milled?  It really looks milled.

3)  DON'T TRUST PRINT SOURCES!  The disassembly makes it very clear that this gun is recoil operated.  Wikipedia (and whatever Wikipedia is cribbing from) says it's blowback operated.

18 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

The magazine was never meant to leave the gun, so I assume they figured milled was ok? 

Regardless, that rifle is pants on head retarded.

Yep.  The design is horrible on many levels.  The video is worth watching for aspiring designers as a guide of what not to do.

3 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Uh oh:

The funniest thing that could happen from this is if Glock tried to make hay with it in regards to the XM17 program.

Not having a trigger safety, and having a light pull are bad ideas!? Who knew!

Oh right. Glock did.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:16 AM, Collimatrix said:

Forgotten Weapons takes a look at the Breda Modello 30:

Here are my takeaways:

1)  These must have cost an absurd amount of money.  The receiver is extremely large, and has a large amount of complex machining.

2)  Is that magazine... milled?  It really looks milled.

3)  DON'T TRUST PRINT SOURCES!  The disassembly makes it very clear that this gun is recoil operated.  Wikipedia (and whatever Wikipedia is cribbing from) says it's blowback operated.

For the individual shooter though, they are really nice . 

A friend owned one and it handled well. Weird, but well.

I feel like if Sig wants to get ahead of this the need to make the trigger safety a standard feature instead of an option and offer replacements to existing owners.