Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

27 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Companies love doing this kind of shit: "oh you know, mr. super special journalist/blogger/forum poster, they only killed the program because *some company's* product was just sooooo much better, it gave them the willies! I can't tell you whose, but of course you can guess..." It's utter bollocks, of course, just like it was with IC.

Pretty sure the no source anon is the guy shilling POF.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:58 PM, Sturgeon said:

H&K is particularly famous for doing this kind of shit, but lots of companies do it. Wouldn't be surprised if POF tried it, too. Although I am pretty sure POF didn't try for ICSR.

H&K, doing underhanded shit?! HOW DARE YOU!

On 9/20/2017 at 11:57 PM, Ramlaen said:

Pretty sure the no source anon is the guy shilling POF.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:58 PM, Sturgeon said:

H&K is particularly famous for doing this kind of shit, but lots of companies do it. Wouldn't be surprised if POF tried it, too. Although I am pretty sure POF didn't try for ICSR.

Having dealt with POF back when I was making cans and MG parts.. "An odd group". Some are very sincere, and a couple were pure snake-oil vendors. 

Their main guy (forget his name) had a solid concept, and was fine that I did not wholly agree with it's application. Some of his (i guess) "marketing" people were pretty pissy about my not buying the whole "Shits where it eats" gig.

Granted this info is VERY dated and may not at all reflect the current company. 

5 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

http://www.janes.com/article/74261/bundeswehr-sends-invitations-to-tender-for-g36-assault-rifle-replacement

Because i heard that a TFB writer is reading here: Some more info on an Acquisition Program that is still alive. It´s from Jane´s Premium so the link wont work for you. But i think Janes´s is reputable enough.

More than just reading, and more than 1 at that.

On 9/14/2017 at 9:36 AM, Sturgeon said:

So, uh, I just noticed: The barrel of the XM806 moves forward with every shot. What the fuck is going on?

So I'm too excited to wait for the imgur upload to finish fully on the Russ Robinson related archive I'm putting up for you guys.

It's mostly the 2 fighting firearms articles and pics from SAR archives.

I'll edit in the link

Russ Robinson for SH https://imgur.com/gallery/m6Jso

Edited by roguetechie
Added link v1.0

17 hours ago, Willy Brandt said:

http://www.janes.com/article/74261/bundeswehr-sends-invitations-to-tender-for-g36-assault-rifle-replacement

Because i heard that a TFB writer is reading here: Some more info on an Acquisition Program that is still alive. It´s from Jane´s Premium so the link wont work for you. But i think Janes´s is reputable enough.

Willy, this is very helpful, thank you. I hope you take a look around the forum, and don't be afraid to contribute!

Anon did some translating of this Glock 46 article.

KsC40gb.png

(1) 1 Pressure plate with firing pin unit, 2 ambi slide release, 3 slide release catch l/r, 4 mag catch push button, 5 picatinny rail
(2) ejection port of the glock 46, does not lock with this pistol
(3) significant difference is the non-tilting barrel. not as expected.
(4) barrel is a classic milled unit with 2 locking logs and a steering lug. the chamber completely surrounds the round.

>text
>I'll be sticking to the important parts
With the new G46 with a rotating locking barrel in 9x19, we do not go through a paradigm shift and are not replacing all of our previous lineup. G46 is intended for govt use as an addition to the ... G17.

nmTOis4.png

(6) 6 steel insert into the polymer grip interacts with 4.2 to turn the barrel

... The question for the retail price was instantly obsolete, since this is served to gov't exclusively, and in the forseeable future there will is no civilian/sportshooter variant to be expected.
The G46 is a handy pistol, readily recognizable as a Glock from the exterior, with typical Glock safety and trigger mechanism. Surfaces are DLC-treated ("diamond-like carbon", uh huh) blah blah. Surfaces are matte and dont reflect. Hammer forged barrel. 3-dot glowing night sights are standard. Will fit glock holsters.

Glock succeded to produce a pistol with above-average accuracy within normal production toleraces and expenditure. Shoots very pleasant due to grip angle, low bore axis (therefore, little muzzle rise) and last but not least due to the slower unlocking process. A minimal unlocking recoil is noticable.

Barrel and slide are syemtrical, so are the locking lugs. This is especially favourable when using high-performance ammo.

Also important is the very secure locking mechanism. The chamber is not weakened by a feed ramp, the cartridge is completely surrounded.

G46 is completely ambi, mag release can be switched.

According to German Specs, decocking (for fieldstrip etc) must be possible without using the trigger.
This is accomplished by unlocking the rear plate. The rear plate with its integrated firing mechanism can be push-then-turned clockwise to release from the slide, moving back about 4mm under spring tension (from the firing pin spring, I assume). The firing pin is now ineffective.

Locking: as a classic recoil loader, the bullets' impulse and the locking/unlocking wedges unlock the barrel. The steering lug on the barrel engages the steering curve fixed on the grip piece and turns the barrel until it unlocks after about 2.8mm of travel. At this point, the bullet has long left the barrel - actually, already during the travel indicated by the -->| 9 |<-- in figure (10).

(and then blah blah about the glock ultra security trigger system)

Honestly I'm not even sure why they're bothering to have a competition, no matter how good any of the other finalists are, They'll just go back to H&K like an abused housewife after everything that's happened anyway because of how corrupt and deeply entrenched into the German MoD they are.

Quote me on this when it happens.