Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I bought some (I think Herter's?) ammunition from Cabela's while visiting relatives that had a blue Nylon coating and an aluminum case.

Federal is late to the party when even store specific brands are doing it.

Yeah it was Herter's.

20442d1327803432-herter-s-nylon-clad-tnj

Basically, I bought 2 boxes of these just to try them out in my FNX-45 Tactical, I expected the failure possibility to be high because, not only of the odd jacket but the fact I haven't used aluminum cased ammunition very much, it's also unusual that even the .45 ACP variant uses a small pistol primer instead of a large. The fact it''s like 100% budget ammo also didn't help my concerns.

.....Surprisingly I had zero malfunctions in the slightest and the Nylon jacket left almost no noticeable bore fouling and it cleaned out about as easy as any copper or brass coated bullets after a day of shooting.

The trend of Polymer coated bullets may be an actual thing to look into.

5 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

The fact that they use small pistol primers is interesting as well. I always thought .45 ACP using large pistol primers seemed odd.

Yeah It's 100% a small sized primer, here's an overhead view for a better shot.

45acp_aluminum-1.jpg

And for those of you who have never seen standard .45 ACP with a large pistol primer, here's a fired Federal HST round casing in .45 ACP.

800px-Federal_45_ACP_primer_cap-e1491870

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

That came out like two years ago or something.

Main data for round

1. Caliber 7.62 mm
  2. Weight 24.5 g
  3. Length 77.16 mm
  4. Bullet weight 11.5 g
  5. Perpendicular load on bullet 25.2 gr/cm2
  6. Muzzle velocity 810 m/s
  7. Average pressure of gunpowder gases (no more than) 3050 kg/cm2
  8. Compatibility with the trajectory of the light mod. 1908 bullet up to 100 m
  9. Distinguishing markings of the round: white colour

3 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

That came out like two years ago or something.

gallery-1468508983-mac-matte-russian-red

red-lipstick.jpg

The Federal Syntech is merely an outgrowth of their decades old Nyclad design, which had originally been developed and sold by Smith & Wesson.  Federal bought the patent rights when S&W decided to get out of the ammunition business in the early 1980s.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4328750

Also note that the Herters ammo is being loaded by CCI/Speer, Federal's sister company under the Vista Outdoor corporate umbrella.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:50 AM, D.E. Watters said:

The Federal Syntech is merely an outgrowth of their decades old Nyclad design, which had originally been developed and sold by Smith & Wesson.  Federal bought the patent rights when S&W decided to get out of the ammunition business in the early 1980s.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4328750

Also note that the Herters ammo is being loaded by CCI/Speer, Federal's sister company under the Vista Outdoor corporate umbrella.

Was about to mention this.

The Idea of a "plastic" coated projo is hardly new. 

9 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

@Sturgeon thinks that black bears can be taken down by .35 Remington. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about, seeing as he's never hunted such dangerous wild game. Ever since the Syrians began selling $200 level VI armor to them, Black Bears have been taking over the Western states.

The only thing that can stop a Black Bear, is another Black Bear carrying a 1911 chambered in .45 ACP.