Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

29 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Wow... Go Ruger!!

That is altogether a pretty exciting offering.

This is an offering that says, yeah you could get a hi point a sub2k or a budget AR based PCC... Or give us $50-$150 more and just get what you actually want!

Considering that you don't have to piece anything together and even the MSRP price point, I'll be very surprised if this doesn't do extremely well.

@Ulric, @Sturgeon

https://www.armslist.com/posts/7237499/fort-collins-colorado-rifles-for-sale-trade--mosin-sniper-original-stock

7237499_02_mosin_sniper_original_stock_6

Have a mosin 91/30 that is all matching numbers that has been converted into a scoped rifle. All smith work was done by a local machine/welding shop owner. Has been drilled and tapped for a rock solid industry mount so a scope can be mounted above the bolt and not in a scout position. Iron sights are still attached, scope mount needs to be removed to use them, can be easily done with an Allen wrench. The bolt has been cut and was bent and reshaped from a 5/16 308 stainless bolt, tig welded and has original bolt handle installed and has been polished to a mirror finish. Bolt is the smoothest you will ever feel for a mosin, better than my gunsite scout has never locked up using many different kinds of ammo. Headspace has been tested and is well within specs. Has a bipod mount tapped into stock. Has a howling Raven muzzle break installed and makes the rifle kick about as much as an ar15. Included is a Harris bipod, rock solid industry scope mount, howling Raven break, 3x9 scope, two boxes of soft point brass and some surplus ammo. Was going to refinish stock before selling but in need of a new vehicle and ran out of time. Stock is in good shape but I'd recommend refinishing to finalize the piece. gun is very accurate, would prefer to sell but I'm open to forearm trades. have other close up pictures of rifle to see custom work done.

Mosin 300$
Custom fabricated "S" bolt 200$
Scope mounting process (alignment, drilling, tapping) 100$
rock solid scope mount 90$
Howling Raven muzzle break 75$
harris bipod and mounting nuts 50$
3x9 scope with see through rings 60$
Brass and surplus ammo together 40-50$

700$ obo, no low balls I know the amount of work and money put into this gun.  Can take off bipod and scope from price of needed, everything else must be sold with rifle.

$700. No LowBalls.

4 minutes ago, xthetenth said:

Has there ever been a time where custom work could ever get you as much money as you put in?

If said custom work was done for someone really famous and they (or their family after they die) sell it afterwards?

......realistically speaking though, no.

7 minutes ago, xthetenth said:

Has there ever been a time where custom work could ever get you as much money as you put in?

No. 

"Upgrades" do not increase the value of your used product on the person-to-person marketplace. This is true for cars, bikes, etc. I see it all the time. 

"I put a dropper post and new tires on my mountain bike! That means it's worth another $400!"

No, because your bike is not worth MSRP anymore. Why should the parts put into it be worth MSRP? Same goes for cars. People that want $2000 more for a truck with a "custom lift kit"? Screw off with that BS. Half the time I'll be fixing someone's "upgrade" anyway. 

But sadly, people don't seem to realize this. Someone else's work depreciates just as much as the physical parts added.  Just because he paid some guy with a TIG welder $100/hr doesn't mean that cost gets transferred to the buyer of said "custom" piece.

26 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

When he says "No LowBalls" it's because his testicles are probably residing around the vicinity of his thyroid given the number of times gun collectors and firearms enthusiasts in general have walked up and kicked him square in the nuts.

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

When will bubba learn?  I could pay a meth head $1000 to graffiti the side of my house, but it certainly wouldn't make my home's value increase by $1000.

This is why I have parts bins, and will take parts my buddies "don't need anymore" because they got this or that... 

If I decide to sell a gun i raid the bins to put it back as close to wallet neutral as I can manage.

I actually fairly regularly engage in the gun guy's equivalent of arbitrage where I'll buy something, harvest it for parts, rebuild the gun from bin parts, and resell for a small "loss" compared to what I bought the gun for but nowhere near the "used prices" for the parts I harvested.

32 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

It's not ugly, but I can't see anyone buying one without weird gun control regs

To be fair to the designers, it does seem like a perfectly thought out design for any countries that do have such strict regulations.

I could see it being viable, though re zeroing the scope after every dismount would be a bitch.

1 hour ago, Khand-e said:

To be fair to the designers, it does seem like a perfectly thought out design for any countries that do have such strict regulations.

I could see it being viable, though re zeroing the scope after every dismount would be a bitch.

It certainly seems like a slightly more refined version of the CA-compliant ARs and such. 

As for the scope, I would hope they have figured out Q/D scope mount tech.

You all have any thoughts on this?  The listing is tempting me.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7689619/chicago-illinois-rifles-for-sale-trade--enfield-rfi-410g

I'm aware that I can find a single shot .410 for a lot less than that, but if all I wanted was a single shot .410, then I wouldn't be getting some obscure Lee Enfield conversion.  I'm no expert on Lee Enfield rifles, they're probably the guns I'm least familiar with relative to its popularity, but my understanding is that $200 is a pretty good price.  For example, I wouldn't be able to tell you if the 1905 BSA co marking stuff is good or bad for collector's value and all that.

The surplus ammo for it is surprisingly cheap as well I've found out, sold here at about $0.24 per round.  I should probably ask the seller if this is one of those that were reamed out to fit modern .410 ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/410-inch-mk1-indian-musket-98gr-musket-ball-180-rounds