Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

On 1/24/2018 at 12:15 PM, roguetechie said:

The bullpup AK all other bullpup AK's wish they could be! Nice...

I know what you mean by not wanting to destroy milsurp guns. I mean I do stuff with ak kits, cz 26 kits, and some of the other really common stuff out there (and I admittedly did some pretty bad things to .308 ishapore Enfield's at one point).

But otherwise, stuff like my Swiss straight pulls, my mas49, and even the couple Mosin's I still have I am very reluctant to do anything permanent to. Replacing furniture and or modifying spare sets of old furniture I do with impunity, and I'll "destroy the collector value of something" with a refinish rather than let guns become nonfunctional. I try to stay on the righteous path in other words.

And yes, you can rest assured that when the day comes where I overcome my crippling anxiety paranoia and angst about posting pics of my gun projects online SH will be where I do it. Not only do I like and respect you guys, but you also put up with me! Plus there are places here i can put stuff I don't want shared outside of here that are actually respected by the participants of this site.

The stuff I'll be doing if I do a vepr gamer gun  is actually in support of other ongoing efforts and long term projects I'm working on. It's sort of a holistic approach to making accessories and gun setups etc to try and extend the distances an average infantryman can realistically successfully engage and knock down the enemy in combat.

This is why I'm looking at gamer guns and etc so heavily, as well as a bunch of other things too mind you, on the assumption that if you can get their equipment to be as conscious thought and adjustment requirements free as possible they will have more time and cognitive capacity to run the fundamentals of good shooting. Combining the above with another layer designed to passively actively or otherwise augment the speed and optimize their abilities to get good stable positions and holds in terrible terrain etc is also part of it.

It's a massive task I've kinda set up for myself that's basically "make us gudder at killing the other guy with our guns while on foot!"* as the bounds of the project. I will almost certainly fail a whole bunch if not completely, but I am having a ton of fun learning and experimenting!

*This includes making gurl infantry somehow not a terrible suck storm of a national tragedy in the making.

Also, since the bounds of this project are so wide open and all encompassing it has thoroughly captured the attention creativity desire to participate and imaginations of my girlfriend and several other of her friends! This alone makes it worth it honestly. It's just plain awesome whenever you can get the women around you to actively and willingly participate in your nerdery!

I had a walnut grip come in for my Makarov a week or so ago, so I'm not adverse to modifying those guns in ways that can be reversed easily.  

Upon further research, the vepr cannot take standard AK mags, it needs a tweak or two done to have that happen.  It'll need a bullet guide installed (found those for sale for $20) and maybe the magazine catch filed down slightly if you want to use extendos.  I might replace the trigger as well, but seems like the vepr may be the first of my guns to find itself in front of power tools.  Beyond the magazine stuff and the trigger, I'll probably keep this one as is.

I'll wait until I'm out of uni and have a little more freedom before I try turning into Dr. Frankenstein but with guns, doing this stuff has been an interest of mine for a while.  I've got a few buddies who have expressed similar interests as well.  I've not got any sort of vision like you do beyond wanting to make and break stuff and seeing what happens.

Best deal on a .223 vepr super I've found so far is ~$740 shipped with two 5rd mags.  The site is one of those stupid ones where you have to add it to the cart before you see the real price (which is $737 shipped, +$8 if you want shipping insurance thrown in).  Cheapest on armslist is $700 with a 5rd and 10rd mag, but it's used and dunno if they'd ship it.  Cheapest on gunbroker that I can recall is about the same price as the site I linked, but they don't do free shipping.

I actually spent a lot of years making and breaking things, I'm all in favor of making and breaking things. It's great! There's a lot of satisfaction to be had there.

I'll be back in school again shortly too, I figure if I go back now I should be able to squeak out my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering before I'm 41. (I'm 36 now and have pretty much most of my generals knocked out but a LONG way to go in math before I make a run at the actual degree program which kinda sucks but oh well. Going to audit a course or two back from my last math course spring or summer term to see exactly how f***ed I am)

Hopefully this will help me in my pursuits... At the very least I'll have more money to buy stuff to build and break after I get my degree, and in theory far fewer of my test runs will result in unplanned spontaneous disassembly.

13 hours ago, Meplat said:

Can't see it well, but it looks like a converted Maxim box.

This is a cartridge case from a PKMT (PKT)   machine gun, with 200 rounds.

But apparently it's a homemade thing. The usual box on the lid has no attachment to the machine gun. The usual canvas handle.

Most likely the lid is taken from the box for 100 cartridges. And that she did not come off had to pull the box with ropes (elastic bands). In the photo they are clearly visible.

PKM_-_OSN_Saturn_(4).jpg

fullsize.jpg20343370.png

4 hours ago, Hisname said:

This is a cartridge case from a PKMT (PKT)   machine gun, with 200 rounds.

But apparently it's a homemade thing. The usual box on the lid has no attachment to the machine gun. The usual canvas handle.

Most likely the lid is taken from the box for 100 cartridges. And that she did not come off had to pull the box with ropes (elastic bands). In the photo they are clearly visible.

PKM_-_OSN_Saturn_(4).jpg

fullsize.jpg20343370.png

Ah, I've only ever seen the smaller boxes over here. 

Here's pics of the Yugo PKM I used to play around with. (And some other toys).

https://imgur.com/2yPg02u

https://imgur.com/Q5CxbbW

The new bit isn't a tungsten penetrator - they're claiming huge improvements in production time/cost (15 mins "production time" per round to 25 seconds), which is probably novel and needed if they're worried about body armour that can stop non-tungsten 7.62 getting fielded in number

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/01/25/shot-show-18-sotech-affiliates-auto-x-ops-xop-stock/

Seeing this, and a few other things from SHOT, makes me feel so much better about some of the stuff I'm experimenting with and working on! 

In a few key ways it's very similar to a few different things I'm messing around with, though I'm admittedly taking the concept quite a bit further and in different directions. (Thanks slide fire and 300 blk ak under folder dewalt case guy)

I wonder how many other people out there use parallel evolution as a sanity gauge to help them see if they've went too far and are now shark jumping?

Anyway, this makes me feel better about things. I will continue my quest to bring sweet sweet gamer gun inspired goodness to the masses.

1 hour ago, Xlucine said:

The new bit isn't a tungsten penetrator - they're claiming huge improvements in production time/cost (15 mins "production time" per round to 25 seconds), which is probably novel and needed if they're worried about body armour that can stop non-tungsten 7.62 getting fielded in number

Yeah, the reduced cost and time is a big deal. The ADVAP, being tungsten, will never be a mainline round, but lower cost ammo means greatly increased flexibility in using it. I think M993 was over $3 a round.

New Russian AK-12 and AK-15 assault rifles have been adopted for service. Information on this "Interfax" was confirmed in the concern "Kalashnikov".

The official newspaper of the Ministry of Defense of Russia Krasnaya Zvezda also reports that the military department decided to adopt not only Kalashnikov assault rifles, but also AEK-971 and AEK-973 assault rifles at the Degtyarev plant.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3069518.html

[AK-14 in article as a typo]

As was to be expected, the domestic defense industry and the Ministry of Defense remained unswervingly loyal to the tradition of the multiplicity of everything that is possible. As reported in the newspaper "Red Star" material Yuri Avdeev "Ratnik - between the finish and start". The theme of creating a military equipment kit remains relevant, "on January 25, 2018, the coordinating scientific council on the development of combat equipment, organized by the Military Scientific Committee of the Ground Forces, stated that the leadership of the Russian Defense Ministry" decided to adopt both 6P67, 6P68, and AK-12, AK-14. "

At the coordination scientific council it was stated that the leadership of the Ministry of Defense decided to adopt both 6P67, 6P68, AK-12 and AK-14 automatic weapons. Products of JSC "Plant named after V.Ya. Degtyarev" have the best performance when firing from an unstable position, they are recommended for various special forces. The products of OA "Concern Kalashnikov" by the criterion "simplicity - reliability" are more suitable for combined arms units and subunits.

[AK-12 is 6P70, AK-15 is 6P71]

M9tonsa.jpg

23 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

So what is so new about the AK-12 and AK-15?
The AEK has its balanced action.
So what is the new thing besides 1913 rails?

AK-12/15 have free floated barrels, top mounted optics rails, and other minor improvements. I think you can actually replace their barrels, too.