Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

18 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I have always loved the look of those guns. Sadly, I also realize that they aren't that good. 

Agreed.  They look fantastic.  Very streamlined, racecar looking guns.

I don't know much about the development.  I am curious where they got the idea for the action design.

10 minutes ago, Toimisto said:

How stupid is this idea: Replace 12.7mm HMG with 20mm autocannon firing ammunition like the 20mm SHVAK, giving better lethality against infantry with HE and firing Sabot against AFV´s.

The US Army is replacing most of their vehicle-mounted M2s with 30mm autocannons, so not that stupid evidently.

https://vk.com/wall-160278262_235?w=wall-160278262_235

about AEKs, AFAIK this comrade tested both A545, A762 and AK-12 as well

Let's talk about the Avtamat from Kovrov?

Briefly, because this topic is tiring. Something can be called not objective, something could have changed since 2016, however:
- titanium details in the trigger group to pass in the requirements by weight
- buttstock, it is suitable for PDW, but not for a army avtomat. Who fired a lot from AKMS or SR-2? That's the same!
- thick handguard
- to cock weapon you need to apply a horse-level of force
- BARS does not work in 7.62
- BARS does not give a tangible advantage at medium and long range in automatic mode
- BARS is needed for fast and accurate follow up shot ["double tap"] in single fire mode. And is that a general army assault rifle?

If I could lay out the sheets with the number of holes in the targets at different distances, done in different shooting modes from different positions from tested machines + from usual AK74M / AKM, and even fix it all with an approximate price for one discussed product, the figures would said everything by themselfs.

V62Umbbt5LE.jpg

aX4d8jVfSpo.jpg

Also from that guy - "The worst ammo"

Domestic catridges are often scold, sometimes deservedly. Stumbled on 9х19 without edges, and on 5,45 with two edges 😨, not speaking about such trifles as different amount of propelant in each catridge, not very good quality of surface, etc.

But a couple of years ago on a business trip I had the pleasure of using 7.62x39 cartridges, which firmly occupied the first place in my personal top. Their origin was not established reliably, there are suspicions of China production or the countries of the Middle East.

Rare package of cartridges was without a catridle with previously not seen problem. The most common phenomena -  different depths of the bullet insertion in case and the cracked / broken off dulce. Disgusting capsules, crumbling or falling out entirely inside the box.  An incomprehensible green mold on bullets, a sticky black substance on liners, gaily sticking to the walls of the chamber ... terrible!

But the funny thing is that in 99.9% of cases (a couple of times the firing pin did not physically reach for the capsule) the 103, all these charms were "absolutely up to the drum" [did not affected/didn't cared]. More than 30K of these wonderful cartridges, burnt on several automatic rifles, further convinced me that it is possible to forgive a lot to Kalash.

6fbk3xeMHcY.jpg

caBH79_6Fmg.jpg

20 hours ago, Toimisto said:

How stupid is this idea: Replace 12.7mm HMG with 20mm autocannon firing ammunition like the 20mm SHVAK, giving better lethality against infantry with HE and firing Sabot against AFV´s.

Anyway, I was just thinking of this the other day, and (I'm sure people will jump on me for my supposed bias against anything German), one cannon I really do like as a potential "in between" candidate is the Rheinmetall Rh 202 chambered in 20x139mm.

I think it might have some issues with windowed or lighter vehicles however as it's rather beefy for a 20mm caliber round and I'm not exactly sure of the recoil impulse it has.

1 hour ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Ulanov posted a document regarding Soviet experimental 5.6 mm rounds in 1941. A prototype was tested, but it was deemed impossible to produce a gun with the required weight of 3.6 kg. 

Funny you mention it because these popped up on Akula's QQ group earlier today.

gbbmT8u.jpg

9oRjOWl.jpg?4

Also, just for the hell of it, this thing!.

G2hbjRA.jpg

On 2/20/2018 at 6:46 AM, LoooSeR said:

AK-15 being tested at -20 with supressor after a lot of ammunition burned through it

1hTc5ydrbJY.jpg

#ONELESSGUN

5 hours ago, Khand-e said:

Worst Korean soldier was never taught the decades old known concept of "backblast" it would appear.

BjxvnnZ.jpg

Living up to his GI JOE Codename of "Backblast"...

Or

The Origin Story of Snake Eyes

57 minutes ago, Hisname said:

Good day. Tell me please, the cartridges depicted in the last photo are experienced cartridges for an soviet anti-tank rifle PEC М1942 (20x150R)? Thank you.

Yes, they are various 20mm RES cartridges and sectioned bullets for them, however I'm not incredibly well versed in the prototype "super at rifles" that the USSR made, EnsignExpendable or Akula probably know a lot more than I do on the subject.