Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Sturg, you're projecting again. 7.62 or 6.8 Gerp or even 5.56 or Thuddy-Thuddy is perfectly fine with me. 

I don't care about the optics or the night vision or thermals since this reducing an invasive species. If you were to use those devices to hunt deer or elk, I'd be upset, but sure use them on hogs. I'm cool with that because they are nocturnal feeders.

It's hunting with a machine gun that is a bit unusual.

Sturg, you're projecting again. 7.62 or 6.8 Gerp or even 5.56 or Thuddy-Thuddy is perfectly fine with me. 

I don't care about the optics or the night vision or thermals since this reducing an invasive species. If you were to use those devices to hunt deer or elk, I'd be upset, but sure use them on hogs. I'm cool with that because they are nocturnal feeders.

It's hunting with a machine gun that is a bit unusual.

Unusual, yes, but how does that make it unethical? That's Tox's argument, unless I've grossly misunderstood him.

Why

Its just more efficent in every way to cull an invasive speicies with.

I'm not entirely convinced that the machine gun here is more efficient than a few other options that I can think of. But, I'm up here in the Pacific Northwest and not in Texas so I have to demure a bit since I don't have actual experience in the field.

Unusual, yes, but how does that make it unethical? That's Tox's argument, unless I've grossly misunderstood him.

It's the Fair Chase argument. And it is one of those subjective things. 

https://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_fairchase.asp?area=huntingEthics

Romantic idealization aside, American hunting is just an animal control technique that the government has outsourced to private contractors who - usually - pay for that privilege. For the most part, hunters over the past century have cleaned up their collective act in regards to public perception.

The problem on the ethical side is the assumption that automatic means more effective. I don't have any real data to prove it being more effective, but anecdoatally If I said "automatic hunting" to my drinking buddy Game Commisioner next door, he'd start raving about all of the angry, bullet-riddled animals from semi-auto he's had to deal with here (illegal in PA, mind you) and at his previous job in Utah. Animals aren't guaranteed to go down just because a bunch of bullets hit them. That, and it's a big part of tourism hunting, which through no instance can I recall it ever having been a positive influence anywhere in the world, especially since there are cases of illegally translocating these animals for hunting purposes.

Until I see that automatic aerial hunting is as efficient, or more, than what wildlife agencies recommend, it can be an overall hindrance to efforts.

I'm not entirely convinced that the machine gun here is more efficient than a few other options that I can think of. But, I'm up here in the Pacific Northwest and not in Texas so I have to demure a bit since I don't have actual experience in the field.

It's the Fair Chase argument. And it is one of those subjective things. 

https://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_fairchase.asp?area=huntingEthics

Romantic idealization aside, American hunting is just an animal control technique that the government has outsourced to private contractors who - usually - pay for that privilege. For the most part, hunters over the past century have cleaned up their collective act in regards to public perception.

Yes, but hog hunting IS an animal control technique. That's the whole point.

The problem on the ethical side is the assumption that automatic means more effective. I don't have any real data to prove it being more effective, but anecdoatally If I said "automatic hunting" to my drinking buddy Game Commisioner next door, he'd start raving about all of the angry, bullet-riddled animals from semi-auto he's had to deal with here (illegal in PA, mind you) and at his previous job in Utah. Animals aren't guaranteed to go down just because a bunch of bullets hit them. That, and it's a big part of tourism hunting, which through no instance can I recall it ever having been a positive influence anywhere in the world, especially since there are cases of illegally translocating these animals for hunting purposes.

Until I see that automatic aerial hunting is as efficient, or more, than what wildlife agencies recommend, it can be an overall hindrance to efforts.

Hunting tourism is a huge boon to African conservation efforts, where have you been?

Pigs don't need help being translocated. They need help being dead. You could consider using a machine gun to do this "gratuitous", but it works, and the idea that it's inadequate and therefore unethical is ridiculous.

You want to kill one animal surely? Yep, break out the accurized bolt gun. That's not applicable to hog hunting, where you have to kill as many as possible.

Don't mind me. Just killing hogs with a MAC 10:

1zmo0av.jpg

I nailed a bunch of them in the pack, but this was the only one in the "worth eating" zone.

I also did it from the back of a moving truck which was, dare I say it, pretty cool.

Hunting tourism is a huge boon to African conservation efforts, where have you been?

Pigs don't need help being translocated. They need help being dead. You could consider using a machine gun to do this "gratuitous", but it works, and the idea that it's inadequate and therefore unethical is ridiculous.

You want to kill one animal surely? Yep, break out the accurized bolt gun. That's not applicable to hog hunting, where you have to kill as many as possible.

Haven't read anything on it, I'll take a look. I've only heard of it in the sense of shooting endangered species, and people performing illegal actions to introduce problematic animals to different areas. I was saying it was illegal to translocate them, as in moving them in order to make it worse. It's not a method to fix a problem, it's a method to intentionally make it worse.

And if you make peace with the ethic points, that's fine. It's just something we disagree on until I see evidence that automatic aerial hunting specifically has been an overall useful  part of the conservation effort.

Hehehe.

Texas. Truly a Paradise on Earth where you can machine gun hogs and eat ripe Texas grapefruit right off the tree. A Garden of Eden that God blessed mankind with.

Were it not for the 110 degree summers, wind blowing all the time, bleak landscapes, Houston, air pollution, traffic, urban sprawl, Austin, biker gangs, drug running, Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys...

Not gonna lie, I couldn't care less about the different between a feral hog being taken out with a shot from a run of the mill .243 Winchester bolt gun to the neck, or a pack of them being strafed by an A-10C with a full HEI loadout and maximum Hydra rocket pods.

What I do care about however is the thread topic.

Don't mind me. Just killing hogs with a MAC 10:

1zmo0av.jpg

I nailed a bunch of them in the pack, but this was the only one in the "worth eating" zone.

I also did it from the back of a moving truck which was, dare I say it, pretty cool.

Not saying I've seen a feral hog taken out with artillery, but I've seen very similar...

I have been perpetually whelmed by milsurp SKSes. I feel like with real work, they'd be great, but... Eh.

And now they're not even cheap.

I like em. Same time frame as Kalashnikov but with lots of fun quirks. Plus they are indestructible