Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I live in Canuckistan. Best chance I have of shooting one is to go visit Battlefield Vegas.

Which is why when I become benevolent dictator of the world, I am making it so "if the military can have it, so can you". the caveat being "You have to maintain it to their standards or better".

So remember to vote Meplat for grand poobah, head cook and bottlewasher, 2016.

Which is why when I become benevolent dictator of the world, I am making it so "if the military can have it, so can you". the caveat being "You have to maintain it to their standards or better".

So remember to vote Meplat for grand poobah, head cook and bottlewasher, 2016.

As Meplat the 2nd, can I be Vice Supreme Overlord and Chief?

As Meplat the 2nd, can I be Vice Supreme Overlord and Chief?

You'd be "Polisher of the glass, and rubber of the silver"..

My reign of "terror" would be unparalled in it's customer service. 

Waldorf folds on all the bogroll, thank you.

I think Nate was the one who said the best part of the Mosin was being able to hold a piece of history while working pretty much any paycheck, and I definitely agree with that. I always take a new Mosin to a gunsmithing friend though to make the bolt glide. Being able to cycle without that signature Mosin resistance is wonderful.

And I'll agree with the Thompson being overrated mostly because I believe the M3 is very under-rated.

I think Nate was the one who said the best part of the Mosin was being able to hold a piece of history while working pretty much any paycheck, and I definitely agree with that. I always take a new Mosin to a gunsmithing friend though to make the bolt glide. Being able to cycle without that signature Mosin resistance is wonderful.

And I'll agree with the Thompson being overrated mostly because I believe the M3 is very under-rated.

The M3/M3A1 is underrated by people who consider SMG's as investments.

Other than it's magazine it is a fine bit of work.

14.5x114mm gets away with it with it with legendary Leninist magic of indestructible steel enchantment, god, don't you know anything?

But in all seriousness, I think .408 would be the better of the 2 for it, but I added .375 since one of the requirements GD did for their version was being able to hit targets out to a rather ridiculous range for a man portable LMG, something like 1,800m or some shit, and while both rounds have a pretty stellar reputation for being exceptionally accurate, the .375 might fit better if that's what they're going for.

(I think .408 would be better because of the payload capacity of the rounds in the event they would do such a thing for reference.)

That's another thing, accuracy.  The firing chambers in machine guns are usually cut a little big and the tolerancing on headspacing is loose (this is why you don't want to reload brass that's been through an MG if you can help it; the web near the case head may have stretched).  So a round that's hyper-accurate isn't going to do its best work out of an MG.  Most MG designs compromise on accuracy so they can keep on trucking. 

That's another thing, accuracy.  The firing chambers in machine guns are usually cut a little big and the tolerancing on headspacing is loose (this is why you don't want to reload brass that's been through an MG if you can help it; the web near the case head may have stretched).  So a round that's hyper-accurate isn't going to do its best work out of an MG.  Most MG designs compromise on accuracy so they can keep on trucking. 

You can have a very sloppy chamber and still have absurd accuracy.

I've seen Maxims, Vickers and most often, Brownings perform superbly with what would be considered "worn out" bores in a rifle.

Mind you we are talking about near max range, rather than hundred meter paper punching, but at 2700 meters, I'd surely take a "worn out" Soviet Maxim over a SVD.

Oh dear god please save me:

ostiariusalpha   an hour ago

So, what I see you and Max arguing against here is that you find the terms "assault rifle," "battle rifle," and so on, too mushy and often ill-conceived. I'm convinced you are right; the terms as used are vaguely defined (if at all), often implying misleading or entirely incorrect uses of the weapons, and just generally lacking insight into the basic context that they have with & among other firearm categories. Your solution is to weed out all of the terms that don't already have well-defined criteria so that only a few, clear general classifications would be left, with any firearms inside those broad classes being compared only individually to another. That has an attractive simplicity to it, but as TwiSpark has pointed out, those terms you wish to downplay actually cover plenty of relevant sets of features despite their limitations; and I agree with him. And it's not as if there aren't ways to preserve these firearm groupings and just dump their useless names.

Just to spitball a bit here, you can try starting over with a series of relatively broad categories that have more clearly defined criteria, and from there create context by simply adding category names together. Such as:

Individual Rifle - any non-crew served firearm with a rifled bore, capable of being shouldered with a length of pull no less than 150mm.

Abridged Rifle - any Individual Rifle with an overall length no more than 1150mm, and barrel length no more than 525mm.

Machine Rifle - any rifle with a select fire capability.

Detached-Mag Rifle - any rifle that feed from or store rounds in an internal magazine.

So, drawing from these, we can take and create a class of firearms called the Abridged Machine Rifle, which is essentially identical to theАвтомат, but without having to redefine what exactly a "carbine" is. An M16, AKM, or MP-43 would be a Detached-Mag Abridged Machine Rifle, and there's no longer the implication that they are somehow special snowflakes like the term "assault rifle" conjures up; context is maintained. You can add further category criteria from there, such as cartridge types:

Intermediate Cartridge -any cartridge with a COL between 40-67mm and producing muzzle energy between 1300-2800 joules from a 460mm barrel.

So then, the MP-43 is an Detached-Mag Abridged Machine Rifle, Intermediate Cartridge, and really nothing more than just that. It may be a slight rough system, it's just what I came up with over a half-hour. Also, you might object that it is not be exactly concise, but conciseness is overrated, and that's what acronyms are for anyways.

Fedorov Automat - AMR, FC (Abridged Machine Rifle, Full-Power Cartridge)
.300 Savage BAR - DIMR, IC (Detached-Mag Individual Machine Rifle, Intermediate Cartridge)
MP-43 - DAMR, IC (Detached-Mag Abridged Machine Rifle, Intermediate Cartridge)
SVT-40 - DISR, FC (Detached-Mag Individual Self-Loading Rifle, Full-Power Cartridge)
AVT-40 - DIMR, FC (Detached-Mag Individual Machine Rifle, Full-Power Cartridge)

So I finally found the .22 my dad keeps talking about, the one gun in my immediate family, and it's a rather nice looking Winchester Model 61.  Barrel looks like it could be cleaned, but otherwise it's pretty darn good looking.  The finish on the metal and wood looks pretty great still, the metal is just a little worn where the pump slides against it, as well as other places like a on the edge of the butt plate some.  Shitty pictures thanks to my phone. 

How do you make spoilers?  I tried

like it is on most other places, but no luck.  Leaving the other two pictures here so I don't lose the links and need to upload them again

hc16rRd.jpg

GoHtCUr.jpg
REm0j9u.jpg

Edited by ApplesauceBandit

Honestly considering people post his res photos in this thread all the time, no one really cares if it's spoilered or not.

No one here is running dial up.

Also, the cat laying next to it really reminded me of this scene.

So I finally found the .22 my dad keeps talking about, the one gun in my immediate family, and it's a rather nice looking Winchester Model 61.  Barrel looks like it could be cleaned, but otherwise it's pretty darn good looking.  The finish on the metal and wood looks pretty great still, the metal is just a little worn where the pump slides against it, as well as other places like a on the edge of the butt plate some.  Shitty pictures thanks to my phone. 

like it is on most other places, but no luck.  Leaving the other two pictures here so I don't lose the links and need to upload them again

dude, you really think on the same page where Retiv posted 8 high res Syria images and some other hunk posted some 5/10 in an album with her world war one anti tank rifle we give two shits about some T-110 thread autist posting with his 22

dude, you could post an album of you in women's clothes dissembling the rifle and i doubt we would give two shits 

I'm not too well versed yet in actually handling firearms, so some cleaning tips for that .22 may be nice.  Barrel for sure needs to be cleaned since it looks like there's some dirt or dust down there.  The gun was my grandfathers when he was younger, but I don't think it's been used since.  It's seen some use, but that would have been a few decades ago.  The bag it's kept in seems to agree with this. 

Google should be good enough for some of the stuff, but some pointers wouldn't hurt.  We've already got a cheap gun cleaning kit laying around for it, so I should be covered as far as tools go.

That cat of mine probably wouldn't mind being close to people being idiots, but I couldn't see him enjoying being actually on the table. I'd hope he doesn't get shot by anyone either.

To be fair, my post says it's edited because those pictures all used to be the same size they were on my phone, so 4320 pixels wide.  Whether or not it takes up much space after the forum resizes it, my internet wouldn't like needing to load too many of those at once.  My phone actually loads images and such faster than stuff on my home internet connection does.

I don't have too many more posts in the T110 thread than you do, Tied .

hc16rRd.jpg

GoHtCUr.jpg

REm0j9u.jpg

Those little pump action Winchester .22s are fun. And judging by that serial number and the fact that it is a Winchester, it is probably worth a good deal of money, starting at the $800 range and quickly going up. But since this is a shooting iron that has been in your family, I would recommend not selling it. Meplat and others will agree, there is something special about owning the gun that your dad or granddad or great uncle or whomever owned, being able to use it yourself and maybe someday passing it down to your kids. And a gun like a Winchester of almost any model is just one of those items. 

That gun was made in 1947. It has been on the planet for nearly 70 years. And especially being a .22, there is no reason why it can't be on the planet for another 70 years. Or 170 years for that matter and still shoot just as well as it did when it came off the assembly line in New Haven, Connecticut.