Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

11 hours ago, tomtom said:

So it's about firearms in general?

Fara-1_2.jpg

Fara-1_3.jpg

Fara 1 is radar named    Somebody know how gunner is supposed to know target just from this tiny monochromatic screen?

He doesn't need monitors. He is "spotting" target using headphones.

8 hours ago, Xlucine said:

300 blackout AR magazines don't look as dumb though

8 hours ago, Khand-e said:

But the owner himself will look far less dumb for not buying a .300 Blackout rifle to counter that.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

Right, they look exactly the same as your 5.56 mags, ensuring maximum probability of a mixup-induced kaboom.

24 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

But that never ever happens if you're an OPERATOR!

#THISONEWEIRDTRICK

Chamber all of your ARs in .458 SOCOM and never worry about KABOOM when mistaking 5.56 or .300 Blackout mags.

19 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Honestly?

All service handguns used by police are statistically interchangeable given that more and more police departments have armed patrol officers with long guns, and specifically AR style rifles. Pretty much any sort of police response - at least in any metro area - where the cops have a small window to prepare for a confrontation has them armed with a rifle of some sort.

From the Seattle PD as one example.

Now of course there are plenty of incidents of an officer needing to use his service pistol, but these are your typical cop getting jumped during a traffic stop, responding to a domestic violence situation and getting bushwhacked or grappling with an unruly suspect. And these scrums - as Lucky Gunner indicated - are quick and brutal affairs where the officer is just squeezing off two, three, four shots with the suspect then fleeing, or being wounded/killed.

The infamous Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, MO. had a police officer not being able to fire his weapon in that situation initially because the pistol (I forget which model of Sig) went out of battery when Brown grabbed it by the slide. Although you can argue that a longer barreled revolver is easier to take away from an officer in such a scrum given the leverage an attacker can force on the barrel versus that of the handle.

There are niches where the revolver can still be useful.

French police still use revolvers because they think it is handy given the tactics they use in terrorism response and being able to fire behind a ballistic shield. And the .357 Magnum is a more capable round than its 9mm or .40 S&W counterparts.

But given that a police force can buy 3 or 4 Glocks for every $969 Ruger GP100. And pile on the costs of buying different equipment and retention holsters,different ammo and - more important - different firearms training costs and liability concerns, no department is going to go back to revolvers. And certainly not to fill a certain small tactical niche.

Which is why it's nice to be a civilian because I can opt for the perfect handgun for whatever perceived tactical niche I want to fill.

Damn it. TFB has had nothing but lame ass articles the past week. And the day where there's good shit like James firing a six-gun out of his pocket, I'm out of cellphone reception and am busting my ass on a 12 hour day, I find myself late to the party.

Adulting.

The struggle is real.

2 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah, but, you know, effort.

*ring ring*

"Hello? Is this Springfield Armory? Hi, I'm a youtube gun blogger. I would like to perform a thorough analysis on the quality and heartiness of your pistol. Can you send me a sample of 100 pistols, so that I can run 4,000 rounds through each and report on parts breakage, accuracy, and performance under realistic environmentally stressed situations? No? Ah, ok." 

*Scratches head*

"Maybe... Maybe I could just, like, throw a single gun in the mud and put a mag or two through it?"

15 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Given the fact that the Marines had a scandal recently involving the sharing of nude photos, the M9A1 is clearly a death trap for any female Devil Dogs being photographed or taking selfies while mud wrestling and then being forced to use their service pistol.

This is something the Pentagon should have taken into account when the brass was conducting the XM9 trials in the 1980s!