Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

On 22.01.2018 at 2:01 AM, Xlucine said:

They made it, and then they killed it once it started working

I was thinking the other day that if we would try to make our own OICW, will Dragunov's SMG work better for "projectile" part of it? It is very light and upper part is acting as a rail and could work as lower part of grenade launcher in the same time.

MA.jpg

1461807119_ma1.png

Anyone that familiar with the Vepr Super?  Been interested in one and would rather get it sooner or later before prices rise too much.  From what I can see by looking at it, it looks like a rifle I'd really like, but not finding too many opinions about it online.  Would also be interested in knowing if the Vepr super in .223 can use .223 AK mags or if they're some proprietary design.

From what I do know, the build quality of it seems excellent, probably works rather well as a result.  It's got some special enlarged ambi mag release that you don't find on other AKs, I can see myself really liking over the usual type.  Overall so far just seems like a nice gun.  I'd probably get the .223 since I've not got anything in an intermediate cartridge yet.  Also helps that the .223 vepr super is the cheapest, .223 is pretty cheap, and the .223 version seems to be one of the easier vepr supers to find.

supervepr%20(1%20of%2013).jpg

1 hour ago, roguetechie said:

How much are these going for these days?

For some reason I really like the look of those...

And that super custom Russian gamer gun on TFB awhile back would be easier to replicate probably starting from one of those.

There's a few on gunbroker with a buyout slightly under $750, don't really see any below $700 from the little I've been paying attention so far.  A lot of wholesale dealers still have these in stock if that means anything, though those usually start at $800 and go up from there.  The other veprs seem to have been hit harder by import bans, but the vepr super seems to have not really gone up much yet.  This is all for the .223 super veprs, the rest vary a bunch from it, too many for me to keep track of.  Surprised there's so few English videos on the thing, I guess it's too Russian to appeal to Fudd.  Harder to find it too when the results are buried with AK veprs.

I don't read TFB really, but I did come across that article in all of my searching earlier.  Even found a video after I ended up in the Russian part of youtube, assuming we're talking about that one with the weirdly angled grip. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Vepr super is the most aesthetically pleasing rifle made to date.

CdQpBv1.png

Yes we are indeed talking about the one with the weirdly angled grip featured in the TFB video.

I've recently become interested in gamer guns and etc from the perspective of can any of this be adapted to a form suitable and advantageous for combat use?

I'm just kinda one of those people who can't fully enjoy something unless I'm taking it apart and trying to make it better. I don't know why this is, I've kinda just accepted that it's my fate in this world to forever be "dicking with stuff".

I have not yet done any of my mad scientist fuckery on a super vepr, and I'm thinking your post is some sort of sign from the God's that now is the time to rectify this before these things get too expensive.

Plus the stock setup on those somehow have the same feel to the lines in a way as the bm59 alpini which is just a sexy damn battle rifle.

Assuming you like battle rifles or something... NTTTAWWT

9 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Anyone that familiar with the Vepr Super?  Been interested in one and would rather get it sooner or later before prices rise too much.  From what I can see by looking at it, it looks like a rifle I'd really like, but not finding too many opinions about it online.  Would also be interested in knowing if the Vepr super in .223 can use .223 AK mags or if they're some proprietary design.

From what I do know, the build quality of it seems excellent, probably works rather well as a result.  It's got some special enlarged ambi mag release that you don't find on other AKs, I can see myself really liking over the usual type.  Overall so far just seems like a nice gun.  I'd probably get the .223 since I've not got anything in an intermediate cartridge yet.  Also helps that the .223 vepr super is the cheapest, .223 is pretty cheap, and the .223 version seems to be one of the easier vepr supers to find.

supervepr%20(1%20of%2013).jpg

If you like the ban sporter look, cool - just be aware that scope mounting on those is kinda dumb IIRC. You might throw in an ALG trigger for a further improvement.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

If you like the ban sporter look, cool - just be aware that scope mounting on those is kinda dumb IIRC. You might throw in an ALG trigger for a further improvement.

As established in the second post of mine, I really like it in this case.  Some sporter rifles look fugly to me too, but the vepr super is sportifying done right.  Kinda captures that battle rifle aesthetic that techie alluded to as well.

My understanding is that you can get some really solid scope mounts for it, there's just a lot more stupid mounts out there than there should be.  I know the sporty veprs that look more like an AK have a different mounting system, it's possible that I may be confusing the two.

4 hours ago, roguetechie said:

Yes we are indeed talking about the one with the weirdly angled grip featured in the TFB video.

I've recently become interested in gamer guns and etc from the perspective of can any of this be adapted to a form suitable and advantageous for combat use?

I'm just kinda one of those people who can't fully enjoy something unless I'm taking it apart and trying to make it better. I don't know why this is, I've kinda just accepted that it's my fate in this world to forever be "dicking with stuff".

I have not yet done any of my mad scientist fuckery on a super vepr, and I'm thinking your post is some sort of sign from the God's that now is the time to rectify this before these things get too expensive.

Plus the stock setup on those somehow have the same feel to the lines in a way as the bm59 alpini which is just a sexy damn battle rifle.

Assuming you like battle rifles or something... NTTTAWWT

I've got an unfortunate attraction towards guns that are unique or interesting in some way without sacrificing quality (and looks to an extent).  The looks and function alone are enough to make me want a vepr, the fact that no one else seems to have one is icing on the cake.  Means I can be a hipster and not get the same guns everyone else already has that I could borrow if I really wanted to.

Battle rifles are nice too since they make big booms and seem to usually look nice to me.  The BM59 has stood out to me as neat, though I think I'd go for an FN-49 before that.

All the guns that I have right now are too precious to me to mangle in any way (three quarters of mine are family heirlooms or milsurp), but getting a gunsmith special of some sort for the mad scientist fuckery is certainly something I'd like to get around to doing.  Only been in this for a couple years now, just now at the point where I've got most of my core collection all fleshed out.

If you do end up making some frankenvepr, don't forget to share it here.  I've seen some interesting modifications done to them, some whacky bullpup design from google comes to mind.

Cvi24Im.png

Doesn't look like it was based on the super, but oh well

Edited by ApplesauceBandit

I actually really enjoy the look of the saiga forend. That long, smooth handguard in wood makes it look even better. 

I bet you could run galil mags in this thing if you modified them slightly. That's what I did for my 223 saiga. Before I did an ar15 mag well replacement on it. 

Technically, a crazy Israeli guy did it for me in his shop down by the airport in Houston. 

8 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Cvi24Im.png

Doesn't look like it was based on the super, but oh well

The bullpup AK all other bullpup AK's wish they could be! Nice...

I know what you mean by not wanting to destroy milsurp guns. I mean I do stuff with ak kits, cz 26 kits, and some of the other really common stuff out there (and I admittedly did some pretty bad things to .308 ishapore Enfield's at one point).

But otherwise, stuff like my Swiss straight pulls, my mas49, and even the couple Mosin's I still have I am very reluctant to do anything permanent to. Replacing furniture and or modifying spare sets of old furniture I do with impunity, and I'll "destroy the collector value of something" with a refinish rather than let guns become nonfunctional. I try to stay on the righteous path in other words.

And yes, you can rest assured that when the day comes where I overcome my crippling anxiety paranoia and angst about posting pics of my gun projects online SH will be where I do it. Not only do I like and respect you guys, but you also put up with me! Plus there are places here i can put stuff I don't want shared outside of here that are actually respected by the participants of this site.

The stuff I'll be doing if I do a vepr gamer gun  is actually in support of other ongoing efforts and long term projects I'm working on. It's sort of a holistic approach to making accessories and gun setups etc to try and extend the distances an average infantryman can realistically successfully engage and knock down the enemy in combat.

This is why I'm looking at gamer guns and etc so heavily, as well as a bunch of other things too mind you, on the assumption that if you can get their equipment to be as conscious thought and adjustment requirements free as possible they will have more time and cognitive capacity to run the fundamentals of good shooting. Combining the above with another layer designed to passively actively or otherwise augment the speed and optimize their abilities to get good stable positions and holds in terrible terrain etc is also part of it.

It's a massive task I've kinda set up for myself that's basically "make us gudder at killing the other guy with our guns while on foot!"* as the bounds of the project. I will almost certainly fail a whole bunch if not completely, but I am having a ton of fun learning and experimenting!

*This includes making gurl infantry somehow not a terrible suck storm of a national tragedy in the making.

Also, since the bounds of this project are so wide open and all encompassing it has thoroughly captured the attention creativity desire to participate and imaginations of my girlfriend and several other of her friends! This alone makes it worth it honestly. It's just plain awesome whenever you can get the women around you to actively and willingly participate in your nerdery!