Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

48 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Note that one of the slides is left-ejection and the other is not.

Are you sure? It looks to me like all three slides have their ejection ports biased to the right.

There are two different kinds of rear sight visible as well.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:49 PM, LoooSeR said:

Maybe for a suppressor?

To mount the silencer  at the end of the barrel  there is a thread that is covered with a cap.  This thread is present on both shutter.

I had in mind why one pistol has two shutters of the same marking - .45 ACP. Maybe it's another cartridge or another metal alloy.

1 hour ago, Willy Brandt said:

Some notes on why the System Sturmgewehr Bundeswehr/German Army G36 replacment needs a collapsible buttstock.

You are not gonna fit a full length rifle into the Puma. No way.
You went from 7 seconds to disembark from the Marder (grab your rifle and get out) to around one minute maybe a bit less on the Puma.

Close roof hatch and get the carabiner out of your belt if your at the rear. Get out of your Harness open it wide (to get back in later) grab your gun and maybe a Panzerfaust and wait to shuffle out and get into cover. With a full IdZ combat load and optics maybe you will need even longer.

If you now have a full length rifle that you cant fold, good luck getting it into the holster next to your seat.
Also no idea how you are going to fit the MG5 in there together with its ammo if you want to replace the MG4.
Also some sort of stowage space for backpacks would be nice on the thing.
The short G36 in there is pretty nice but i would rather have 16 inches.

Also some sideskirts against all the dust would be nice.

So people that say that you dont need a collapsible buttstock for a service rifle are full of shit and i really can see the benefits of bullpups now better (i still dont like them and i like a adjustable length of pull.)

And i wanna see how they are riding Pumas with their G28s and other full length guns or even a MG3.

Why don't you just carry long guns in between your legs muzzle down, like this pic. That's the way the US military has done it for nearly two decades of combat. It can be done even with machine guns. Full control over loaded weapons, easy to get in and out. 

57 minutes ago, Willy Brandt said:

We dont have that much space like the guy in the picture. You could try to sit like that with a M4 but not with a 16-18 inch barrel.

holz1.jpg

I've been in packed Strykers no different than that. Soldiers had M4s, M249 SAWs, M240 MGs, M110 Sniper Rifles, etc., all muzzle down in between their legs. It works. Not only would doing it make dismounting faster, the buttstock makes a handy place to rest the forward brim of your helmet to catch some nap time. 

7 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I just have this weird feeling that this is one of the most significant infantry small arms of the 21st Century...

7a10a1ab8c716fd0e4363142d7febe7f.jpg

Are you saying "RPK-16 will be in service until 2100"? :D

7 hours ago, Toxn said:

Elaborate?

Yeah, i would like to hear more about RPK-16 becoming suddenly so important.

5 hours ago, Willy Brandt said:

Why its an AK with a drum and a collapsible buttstock.

Doesnt look so revolutinary to me.

Maybe if Iran or Pakistan produces it it could show up around the world alot more but i dont see the big step up from an AKM or M16 Variant.

I think optics will play a bigger role in small arms than the platform itself.

This is RPK-16, main (and probably the only) feature of this gun is ability to swap barrels

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

mms_6852.jpg

RPK-16_ARMIA-2017_01.JPG

Which means that you can mod it as assault rifle in AK-105-like size or make it full size RPK LMG (from 840 mm with short barrel to 1080 mm with long barrel). Max Popenker noted that different SFs are interested in this rifle, if SF unit will conduct opeation in forest/mountains - they can put longer barrels, if they anticipate urban operation - they can make this gun shorter than standart AK-74. This ability comes with a price - this thing is heavier almost by 1 kg vs AK-74. WIth short barrel and no mags/sights it is 4.5 kg, while AK-105 is about 3 kg.

I guess Sturgeon's point will revolve around this design feature.

Don't read too much into my wording because I was drunk when I posted that. Basically, why I think it will be important is the drum, and specifically I think it will be important mostly because of the way the US might respond to it. "One of the most important of the 21st Century" is just a wee bit of an overstatement. :lol:

Everyone thought the LSW versions of their assault rifles were a good idea too back in the 80's

hqdefault.jpg

What I think is a more significant development: Knight's Armament LAMG

8.6 lbs (3.9 kg) low cyclic rate(575-625 RPM), and constant-recoil/spring run-out operation

lmg_mlok_inside.jpg