Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

18 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Don't read too much into my wording because I was drunk when I posted that. Basically, why I think it will be important is the drum, and specifically I think it will be important mostly because of the way the US might respond to it. "One of the most important of the 21st Century" is just a wee bit of an overstatement. :lol:

Sturg, this was littery first think i wanted to post, but i decided to take it more seriously. :ian:

59 minutes ago, Duncan said:

What is the benefit of radial fluting over fluting down the length of the barrel? Is it just harder to mill out the material? 

I did not see any official information about this.  Most likely the essence of the unification. The photo shows Degtyarev's experimental multi-barrel machine gun.

The barrel, and many other parts are borrowed from other earlier models of Degtyarev's machine guns. 

Degtyarev Aircraft Machine Gun - DA (Degtyaryev aviatsionnyiy). And this is the development of the 1930s.

Then the Soviets did not have an opportunity to accurately calculate the heat transfer of the barrel. 

Many things were done on a whim or simply copied from foreign samples.  Since DA was an aircraft machine gun, there were no problems with cooling the barrel.

It was well cooled by the flow of incoming air. The experimental multi-barreled machine gun had a supply of cartridges not from a disk store, but from the usual classical one.

A smaller number of cartridges and time to replace the store did not imply a high rate of fire from each barrel separately and should not lead to overheating.

8524006_2.8epe07lhaqkg4swogsksg08o4.ejcu

0df55d0460.jpgda-2.jpg

P.S. Yugo M72 

yugo_rpk1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Hisname said:

I did not see any official information about this.  Most likely the essence of the unification. The photo shows Degtyarev's experimental multi-barrel machine gun.

The barrel, and many other parts are borrowed from other earlier models of Degtyarev's machine guns. 

Degtyarev Aircraft Machine Gun - DA (Degtyaryev aviatsionnyiy). And this is the development of the 1930s.

Then the Soviets did not have an opportunity to accurately calculate the heat transfer of the barrel. 

Many things were done on a whim or simply copied from foreign samples.  Since DA was an aircraft machine gun, there were no problems with cooling the barrel.

It was well cooled by the flow of incoming air. The experimental multi-barreled machine gun had a supply of cartridges not from a disk store, but from the usual classical one.

A smaller number of cartridges and time to replace the store did not imply a high rate of fire from each barrel separately and should not lead to overheating.

8524006_2.8epe07lhaqkg4swogsksg08o4.ejcu

0df55d0460.jpgda-2.jpg

I didn't mean those specific guns, but the engineering as a whole. Let's say a closed bolt automatic rifle that doesn't have a barrel change option. Likely they'd go with a heavy barrel on it for heat mitigation, but would it be better served to be fluted? And if so, are radial flutes the most effective type? Is it just really hard to do, adding much more work and cost?

6 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I didn't mean those specific guns, but the engineering as a whole. Let's say a closed bolt automatic rifle that doesn't have a barrel change option. Likely they'd go with a heavy barrel on it for heat mitigation, but would it be better served to be fluted? And if so, are radial flutes the most effective type? Is it just really hard to do, adding much more work and cost? 

I'm not that good at understanding the physics of heat-exchange processes, but the designs of modern weapons show that the grooves along the darrel are more effective than the grooves of the sparrow barrel.

To the same, it prevents pollution and facilitates cleaning.  If it concerns military models of weapons, the difficulties in manufacturing and the cost go to the back burner.

In the first place is always reliability and efficiency.

6 hours ago, Duncan said:

What is the benefit of radial fluting over fluting down the length of the barrel? Is it just harder to mill out the material? 

Radial fins can be turned on a lathe pretty easily, longitudinal fins need a mill with a rotary table (or an extruded aluminium sleeve, for a modern design that wants to show off).

Photos and video of ASh-12 from "ShAK-12 system" shooting. 

Vjd3WRaiqds.jpg

Spoiler

e-yscKgKpWo.jpg

s8jkvhAcu-w.jpg

3Ihv0YTzgY4.jpg

oSEqMR58vJs.jpg

3AMDjQEsvn8.jpg

51o93jptOIQ.jpg

WyciqgsnJn4.jpg

zQWHSBamWlA.jpg

3OgQII6TSzE.jpg

lhbG_aojOww.jpg

biWy7ATUMd4.jpg

DkxYvKKLjgs.jpg

9-urltDyYDY.jpg

Watch until 1:13, after that he just describe this gun. After 9:00 there is a little more.

ASh-12 (Shurmovoy avtomat, Assault avtomat) is a name for just a gun, while ShAK-12 is a whole system (Shturmovoy avtomatniy komplex) with accessories, parts and so on. Suppressor (big ass can) and "tactical" suppressor/flash hider (small can), gun can fire without suppressors without problems. 10 and 20 round polymer mags. 

This gun doesn't use any sort of gas system. Just barrel recoil is what operates this whole thing. Reciprocating charging handle, although it is foldable. Safety selector is separated from fire mode selector, fire mode selector can be switched by pulling small "button" out and moving selector. 2 positions - semi auto and full semi auto. Lower is polymer, upper is steel.