Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

On 10/12/2018 at 1:03 AM, Belesarius said:

Delay in picking the next German army assault rifle due to either political reasons or a fire that broke out on the testing range. oO

https://www.janes.com/article/83751/decision-on-the-german-army-s-next-assault-rifle-is-postponed-to-2019

All failed to meet the requirements...

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article182047984/Nachfolger-fuer-G36-Neue-Sturmgewehre-fuer-Bundeswehr-scheitern-im-Test.html

@Collimatrix

Sorry for the waiting and confusion i.e article was avtomats in 7.62 and their history.

Anyway part two

By the end 1946 Red Army was in same situation as 3 year back: there wasnt any avtomat that fully satisficied Army requirements.Development of new avtomats and chosing best from newly developed avtomats was neccesary .Soon GAU announces beginning of new trials for avtomat and one of participant of the competition was young reserve seniour sergeant  M.T Kalashnikov with 5 five prototype guns build in metal behind his back .

pppsp2p_7.jpg

Simonov Avtomat As-4-P-44

pppsp2p_5.jpg

Degtyarev Avtomat KB-P-315

Preparatory stage of the competition for second avtomat trials with intermediate cartrige (May-October 1946)

Factoring in difficulties with designing new avtomat Firearm Directorate of GAU KA announced new avtomat competition.

Design of Avtomats should be conducted based on refined Tactical Technical Requirement № 3131–45 in doing so suggested that trial should encompass most experienced designers .Сompetition involved couple of design bureaus such as:

-KB-2 and PKB OGK (Kovrov) V.V Degtyarev,S.V Vladimirov,P.P Polyakov and A.P Bolshakov,V.V Zubov, V.A Vedensky , I.I Slostin and E.V Ivanov ,A.A Dementiev ,G.F Kubynov,  S.M Krekin

-KB of plan№ 535 (Tula) S.A Korovin

-KB NIPSMVO(Shurovo vilage) N.V Rukavishnikov ,K.A Baryshev ,M.T Kalashnikov

-KB of Red Army Artillery Academy (Moscow) I.K Bezruchko-Vysotsky

-TSkB-14 (Tula)  A.A Bulkin ,G.A Korobov

-KB-180 (Podolsk) S.G Simonov, N.N Efimov

pppsp2p_10.jpg

Tokarev Avtomat AT-44

pppsp2p_11.jpg

Korovin Avtomat first version

pppsp2p_2.jpg

Korovin Avtomat 1946 version

In order to reduce time and resources in beggining  competition whcih  should be proceed in two round. USV GAU received 16 project in the first round.Competition commsion basing upo order of chief of GAU from  June 19 of 1946 and conditions of competions chosen 10 designs for participation in competition (projects of A.A Dementiev,P.P Polyakov,K.A Baryshev, A.P Bolshakov, S.V Vladimirov,N.V Rukavishnikov, M.T Kalashnikov, G.A Korobov,A.A Bulkin, I.I Rakov).Interestingly some of participant brought working firearms alongside technical documentation(S.A Korrovin ,G.F Kubynov,S.G Simonov, N.N Efimov)

pppsp2p_12.jpg

Priluchsky Avtomat 

pppsp2p_1-1.jpg

1-st variant of Kubynov Avtomat

pppsp2p_4.jpg

Efimov Avtomat Ap-34 OKB-180

10 was participant was allowed to entry second round six of them was considered as generally satifisfactory according to tactical technical requirements (Projects of K.A Baryshev,A.A Dementiev,N.V Rukavishnikov,G.A Korobov,A.A Bulkin,M.T Kalashnikov).Project of I.I Rakov,S.G Simonov,P.P Polyakov,A.P Bolshakov have design flaws and therefore wasnt recommended for continuation of development.In same time commsion decided that not a single project was deserver 1- prize.Commision given 2-nd prize to N.V Rukavishnikov. Encouragement Prizes received A.A Dementiev,K.A Baryshev,A.A Bulkin,M.T Kalashnikov.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Source of the photos? My FSB contact wants to know.

Those are not photos, but screengrabs from TV report by 1st channel (Federal PR channel, biggest in Russia). I don't know from which TV news section or report this was taken, they were posted on otvaga.

This is 4.9 inches drop at 200m:

0TVTnRg.png

That's a 5.5" B8 bullseye target, similar in size to a human heart or vital zone in the head

This is representative of 6.5 Grendel 123gr ammo from a 20" barrel or 100gr Grendel from a 14.5" barrel

The bigger circle is the extreme spread (2.5" at 100 meters), the smaller circle is a representative mean radius (0.865" at 100 meters)

Now, this is a 50% pH at 200m target

KSr7PjI.png

And you need less than 2.7" drop at 200m to achieve that. M855A1 has 3" drop at 200m with a 100m zero.