Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Christmas came early this year

P1090177-900x600.jpg

Thats right, west German too

These as-well, i paid an embarrassing amount of money for them

xm8-s.jpg

7UXHU.jpg

Damn Tied, I didn't realize you had such poor taste in firearms. =/

Damn Tied, I didn't realize you had such poor taste in firearms. =/

I bought those my nephew, he's a little wehraboo ever since i bought him some tiger tank toys, its plastic so its safe for kids 

Since polymer cases are sort of back in the news, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use a cellulose composite or something for cases? Or, at least if anyone has done so recently.

A reinforced cardboard case would shine in terms of insulating the powder. Plus, it would be easy to make fairly intricate composite structures using existing techniques.

Since polymer cases are sort of back in the news, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use a cellulose composite or something for cases? Or, at least if anyone has done so recently.

A reinforced cardboard case would shine in terms of insulating the powder. Plus, it would be easy to make fairly intricate composite structures using existing techniques.

Yes.

In shotshells.  For a time you could even find ones with an "all paper" case, and just a disc of metal to form the flange and support the battery cup primer.

The concept carried into plastics later on.

It would also be shit for durability and waterproofing. :}

Not necessarily. You could have a sandwich construction (paper - fibreglass - paper) with phenolic resin or something to bond it. Throw in a wax-based outer coat and you're sorted.

I'd also keep a rear cup, either in plastic or metal. So it would really be an updated shotshell sort of thing.

Edit: moulding could be in the form of a simple plug and mould for the front of the cartridge. The rear cup would be pressed into the back, with glue and an internal lip to keep it from coming apart.

The metal cup on modern shotshells is not really anything other than a semi-durable spacer for headspacing and a control for primer seating.

If you cut one in half there is very little actual thickness to them.

Not necessarily. You could have a sandwich construction (paper - fibreglass - paper) with phenolic resin or something to bond it. Throw in a wax-based outer coat and you're sorted.

I'd also keep a rear cup, either in plastic or metal. So it would really be an updated shotshell sort of thing.

Edit: moulding could be in the form of a simple plug and mould for the front of the cartridge. The rear cup would be pressed into the back, with glue and an internal lip to keep it from coming apart.

Are you talking about for civilian or military use?

For military use, it wouldn't be durable enough to be dropped out of an airplane.

Cellulose-fiber-reinforced phenolic resins are pretty tough.  The commies did make a bunch of rifle stocks and magazines out of that stuff, and it holds up well.  As an added plus, thermoset plastics are usually pretty good to go at high temperatures, which is important because you don't want it coming to pieces in the chamber and making trouble.

Most of the research I've seen has focused on high-temperature thermoplastics.  Thermoplastics have faster cycle times in production and better precision in injection molded parts.

There's also the important question of how well the stuff works as a chamber obturator.

Cellulose-fiber-reinforced phenolic resins are pretty tough.  The commies did make a bunch of rifle stocks and magazines out of that stuff, and it holds up well.  As an added plus, thermoset plastics are usually pretty good to go at high temperatures, which is important because you don't want it coming to pieces in the chamber and making trouble.

Most of the research I've seen has focused on high-temperature thermoplastics.  Thermoplastics have faster cycle times in production and better precision in injection molded parts.

There's also the important question of how well the stuff works as a chamber obturator.

It might seal fine, my concern would be getting the case durable enough for service without altering case volume.

It doesn't sound like Toxn means bakelite or the stuff vz. 58 stocks are made of.

It sounds like he means a resin-sealed cardboard vessel, which would not work well for case material, except in very low pressure applications.

It doesn't sound like Toxn means bakelite or the stuff vz. 58 stocks are made of.

It sounds like he means a resin-sealed cardboard vessel, which would not work well for case material, except in very low pressure applications.

No, I was actually thinking of something along the lines of a moulded composite. I'd just try to make the outer layer of as much cellulose as possible to prevent out gassing of the phenol. Having given it a bit more thought, I think a two-layer structure might get you the best results. More complex case geometries can also be had by moulding a separate front and rear (including cup) and then joining them as before.

Chamber conformation would be an issue, so your composite would have to demonstrate good stability. This is another reason to have the outer layer be coated/impregnated with something waxy. Strength shouldn't be an issue so long as you don't try to keep to the same dimensions as existing cartridges.

My gut instinct is that weight savings would be on the order of 10-15%. Cost savings, however, might be closer to 50%. Brass is ruinously expensive.