Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

The well-known weapons factory Molot-Oruzhie LLC (formerly OJSC Vyatsko-Polyansky Machine-Building Plant Molot, Vyatskiye Polyany, Kirov Region) reported that it had developed a new 7.62-mm machine gun in its initiative.

The text on the company's page in social networks reads: "Molot-Weapon initiative development. A 7.62 mm machine gun with a combined feed - belt, magazine, box (pictured). Not a Kalashoid. Younger brother of VPO-214. Automatics based on short recoil of the barrel. Interchangeable barrels. "

6661908_original.jpg

ORSIS-Mosin, heh

SybVmdj.jpg

1 hour ago, Vicious_CB said:

I like Kalashoid, it sounds alot better than the Shrike/Ares16/MCR  or whatever they're calling it these days.which is where I assume they got the idea from. 

Pretty sure "Kalashoid" means "something based on a Kalashnikov", and they are saying this new gun is not that.

52 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

That is me, yes, and yes I died in a tragic boating accident over a year ago.

Nice trigger kung-fu, shoots like full auto.

Remember the "Overmatch: On Bullets, Bombers, and Taking the Right Path (Brief Thoughts 004)"? On that blog.

Any changes or consider it true to this day? (Very interesting to know)

3 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Nice trigger kung-fu, shoots like full auto.

Remember the "Overmatch: On Bullets, Bombers, and Taking the Right Path (Brief Thoughts 004)"? On that blog.

Any changes or consider it true to this day? (Very interesting to know)

I consider it one of my best works.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

I consider it one of my best works.

I should have said that i seek only the think related to the B-17 and it's machine guns vs speed.

It stuck in my head because the soviets tried the fast bomber approach before the ww2 and in/after it they pretty much put a lot of turrets and cannons compared to others on their bombers and even transport aircraft.

(I hold to this think because i rarely see some posts related to bombers and defensive armaments)

6 minutes ago, Pascal said:

I should have said that i seek only the think related to the B-17 and it's machine guns vs speed.

It stuck in my head because the soviets tried the fast bomber approach before the ww2 and in/after it they pretty much put a lot of turrets and cannons compared to others on their bombers and even transport aircraft.

(I hold to this think because i rarely see some posts related to bombers and defensive armaments)

The performance of the YB-40 should slam the door on things.

2 hours ago, Pascal said:

I got a ton of pushback on that, but I stand by what I said then. It's still my current position on the subject. The Fortress concept was a failure. It got an enormous amount of men killed. Efforts should have focused on speed, altitude, and evasion, not armament. The B-29 and virtually all subsequent bombers prove this.

11 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I got a ton of pushback on that, but I stand by what I said then. It's still my current position on the subject. The Fortress concept was a failure. It got an enormous amount of men killed. Efforts should have focused on speed, altitude, and evasion, not armament. The B-29 and virtually all subsequent bombers prove this.

I have seen only a pushback, that was only directed to the idea "many .50 bad", many didn't have a problem there with the focus on speed, altitude, evasion.

But making a B-29 from a B-17 is like removing the 37mm gun turret from a M3 Lee and name it M4, needs more than that and most important time.

How much would an B-17 win in altitude, speed without the defensive armament?

(I stop here, very off-topic.)