Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I cannot overemphasize how accurate the RK62 is compared to an AKM.

That said it comes with a significant weight penalty. Also why are the Finns still using 7.62x39 when nobody else is in their entire area? I mean I know the Russians use it some but not for general issue.

2 hours ago, Alex C. said:

I cannot overemphasize how accurate the RK62 is compared to an AKM.

That said it comes with a significant weight penalty. Also why are the Finns still using 7.62x39 when nobody else is in their entire area? I mean I know the Russians use it some but not for general issue.

From people I've talked to, the Finnish Army maintains that 7.62x39 penetrates timber better - but that isn't well supported in other testing and I think the real reason is that they're too poor to afford to switch.

Notably, the Finns briefly considered switching to the SCAR-L (presumably in 5.56) before realizing that would mean they'd have to deal with FN.

29 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

From people I've talked to, the Finnish Army maintains that 7.62x39 penetrates timber better - but that isn't well supported in other testing and I think the real reason is that they're too poor to afford to switch.

Notably, the Finns briefly considered switching to the SCAR-L (presumably in 5.56) before realizing that would mean they'd have to deal with FN. 

Valmet got out of the firearms business in the 80s, Sako is owned by Beretta, the RK95tp has been out of production for 20+ years, and Finland has mandatory military service.

I would really, really hate to be an armorer over there. Hopefully they have a stash of barrels (Valmet never made a chrome-lined barrel and no RK62 ever had one).

7 hours ago, Alex C. said:

Valmet got out of the firearms business in the 80s, Sako is owned by Beretta, the RK95tp has been out of production for 20+ years, and Finland has mandatory military service.

I would really, really hate to be an armorer over there. Hopefully they have a stash of barrels (Valmet never made a chrome-lined barrel and no RK62 ever had one).

I seem to remember something about Sako continuing to make barrels for the military. Also 7.62x39 chrome lined barrels last like 150,000 rounds.

6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I seem to remember something about Sako continuing to make barrels for the military. Also 7.62x39 chrome lined barrels last like 150,000 rounds. 

I sure hope so. And that may be well and good for the reasonable countries that chrome lined all their shit. As to why Finland didn't? I honestly don't know.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Are they not chromed? Wild.

Correct. Finland has never had an infantry rifle with a chrome lined barrel. Even the RK95 isnt chrome lined apparently.

But Winter War on the akfiles has this to say:

”Correct, none of the Valmets or Sako Finnish AK-variants have chromelined barrels. Several reasons, first of all it was tried back in the day but we discovered that obeying western safety regulations making similar chromelining than Russians were using was just not possible. Second, after testing and shooting the RK62 it was noticed that there is no actual benefit of the chromelining, our military ammo is not corrosive or with steel bullets. (Presumably he meant bimetal jackets)
I remember reading somewhere that our military expects barrel life to be at least 20,000 rounds.”

50 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

Correct. Finland has never had an infantry rifle with a chrome lined barrel. Even the RK95 isnt chrome lined apparently.

But Winter War on the akfiles has this to say:

”Correct, none of the Valmets or Sako Finnish AK-variants have chromelined barrels. Several reasons, first of all it was tried back in the day but we discovered that obeying western safety regulations making similar chromelining than Russians were using was just not possible. Second, after testing and shooting the RK62 it was noticed that there is no actual benefit of the chromelining, our military ammo is not corrosive or with steel bullets. (Presumably he meant bimetal jackets)
I remember reading somewhere that our military expects barrel life to be at least 20,000 rounds.”

Bimetal jackets would be part of it, but also the steel core in M43 and 7N6 ammunition.

7 minutes ago, Hisname said:

Are you implying that the United States is sending weapons to opposition forces in Venezuela?

I'm implying that i see such weapon for the first time, a P90 made to look like AR-15 for some reason. 

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

I'm implying that i see such weapon for the first time, a P90 made to look like AR-15 for some reason. 

It was/is a commercial product made so civilian shooters can convert their rifles to shoot 5.7x28mm.

I owned one for a brief period of time and it worked well but I sold it. I had no use for it after I bought a PS90.

i had a little chat with the guys who developed this gun

he says as soon as you pull the stock the gun is ready to fire and its in fullauto with a 20 round mag 9x19mm and you can of course use bigger mags

Ea109C2.jpg

p.s. TOKAT means slap in the face 

and a 7.62x39 mm version of MPT from Kale Group

5amOGHK.jpg