Jump to content
Sturgeon's House
Khand-e

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Recommended Posts

I cannot overemphasize how accurate the RK62 is compared to an AKM.

 

That said it comes with a significant weight penalty. Also why are the Finns still using 7.62x39 when nobody else is in their entire area? I mean I know the Russians use it some but not for general issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex C. said:

I cannot overemphasize how accurate the RK62 is compared to an AKM.

 

That said it comes with a significant weight penalty. Also why are the Finns still using 7.62x39 when nobody else is in their entire area? I mean I know the Russians use it some but not for general issue.

 

From people I've talked to, the Finnish Army maintains that 7.62x39 penetrates timber better - but that isn't well supported in other testing and I think the real reason is that they're too poor to afford to switch.

 

Notably, the Finns briefly considered switching to the SCAR-L (presumably in 5.56) before realizing that would mean they'd have to deal with FN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

 

From people I've talked to, the Finnish Army maintains that 7.62x39 penetrates timber better - but that isn't well supported in other testing and I think the real reason is that they're too poor to afford to switch.

 

Notably, the Finns briefly considered switching to the SCAR-L (presumably in 5.56) before realizing that would mean they'd have to deal with FN. 

Valmet got out of the firearms business in the 80s, Sako is owned by Beretta, the RK95tp has been out of production for 20+ years, and Finland has mandatory military service.

 

I would really, really hate to be an armorer over there. Hopefully they have a stash of barrels (Valmet never made a chrome-lined barrel and no RK62 ever had one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alex C. said:

Valmet got out of the firearms business in the 80s, Sako is owned by Beretta, the RK95tp has been out of production for 20+ years, and Finland has mandatory military service.

 

I would really, really hate to be an armorer over there. Hopefully they have a stash of barrels (Valmet never made a chrome-lined barrel and no RK62 ever had one).

 

I seem to remember something about Sako continuing to make barrels for the military. Also 7.62x39 chrome lined barrels last like 150,000 rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

 

I seem to remember something about Sako continuing to make barrels for the military. Also 7.62x39 chrome lined barrels last like 150,000 rounds. 

 

I sure hope so. And that may be well and good for the reasonable countries that chrome lined all their shit. As to why Finland didn't? I honestly don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alex C. said:

 

I sure hope so. And that may be well and good for the reasonable countries that chrome lined all their shit. As to why Finland didn't? I honestly don't know.

 

Are they not chromed? Wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

 

Are they not chromed? Wild.

 

Correct. Finland has never had an infantry rifle with a chrome lined barrel. Even the RK95 isnt chrome lined apparently.

 

But Winter War on the akfiles has this to say:

”Correct, none of the Valmets or Sako Finnish AK-variants have chromelined barrels. Several reasons, first of all it was tried back in the day but we discovered that obeying western safety regulations making similar chromelining than Russians were using was just not possible. Second, after testing and shooting the RK62 it was noticed that there is no actual benefit of the chromelining, our military ammo is not corrosive or with steel bullets. (Presumably he meant bimetal jackets)
I remember reading somewhere that our military expects barrel life to be at least 20,000 rounds.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

 

Correct. Finland has never had an infantry rifle with a chrome lined barrel. Even the RK95 isnt chrome lined apparently.

 

But Winter War on the akfiles has this to say:

”Correct, none of the Valmets or Sako Finnish AK-variants have chromelined barrels. Several reasons, first of all it was tried back in the day but we discovered that obeying western safety regulations making similar chromelining than Russians were using was just not possible. Second, after testing and shooting the RK62 it was noticed that there is no actual benefit of the chromelining, our military ammo is not corrosive or with steel bullets. (Presumably he meant bimetal jackets)
I remember reading somewhere that our military expects barrel life to be at least 20,000 rounds.”

 

Bimetal jackets would be part of it, but also the steel core in M43 and 7N6 ammunition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Russian military personnel at international competitions among the mountain shooters Edelweiss Raid-2019 in the Tyrolean Alps (Austria).

With AUGs

W7JEdr0.jpg

 

Unrelated.

Spoiler

nwCixqq.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Venezuela. First time i see such weapon.

nNodOhk.jpg

AR57 by 57center

uses the FN5.7mm cartage in the FNP90 mag on top. it is a blow back AR upper and uses the magwell as an ejection port. the mag you see on the bottom is acting as a brass catcher and is part of the kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Venezuela. First time i see such weapon.

Are you implying that the United States is sending weapons to opposition forces in Venezuela?

In the photo are the soldiers of Juan Guaydo.

6pz_GWTchhY.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hisname said:

Are you implying that the United States is sending weapons to opposition forces in Venezuela?

....

   I'm implying that i see such weapon for the first time, a P90 made to look like AR-15 for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

   I'm implying that i see such weapon for the first time, a P90 made to look like AR-15 for some reason. 

It was/is a commercial product made so civilian shooters can convert their rifles to shoot 5.7x28mm.

 

I owned one for a brief period of time and it worked well but I sold it. I had no use for it after I bought a PS90.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had a little chat with the guys who developed this gun

he says as soon as you pull the stock the gun is ready to fire and its in fullauto with a 20 round mag 9x19mm and you can of course use bigger mags

Ea109C2.jpg

 

p.s. TOKAT means slap in the face 

 

and a 7.62x39 mm version of MPT from Kale Group

5amOGHK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By LostCosmonaut
      There are many who feel that the 5.56 NATO is a superlative rifle round. Much has been said about larger alternatives to 5.56, such as various 6.5mm and 6.8mm rounds among others. Less has been said about smaller rounds. Off the top of my head, I can recall that there was a German 4.6x36mm round, used in the HK36, and the British 4.85x49mm round. Neither of these rounds managed to gain widespread acceptance. My knowledge of the voodoo that is ballistics is somewhat limited, so I'm uncertain as to whether these failures were caused by flaws with the rounds themselves, or because they were below some lower limit of effective bullet size, beyond which performance decreases rapidly. Could we see a resurgence of these concepts in the future, or do they represent an evolutionary dead-end?
×
×
  • Create New...