Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

It has always been rather telling to me how news anchors treat the "little people" whom they work with on a daily basis.

More interesting is to see how artificial and phony a typical news segment is with how it gets produced, all the short little sound bites that get cobbled together in the sausage making process that results in the evening news.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:19 AM, EnsignExpendable said:

Back in the old country, I had to mow the lawn with a scythe. I wonder how quickly these people would kill themselves with that.

"Old country"

I had to use a machete and lawn scythe on a lot we had when I was younger until my dad got me a walk behind string trimmer for a birthday.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:02 AM, ApplesauceBandit said:

I'm just waiting for us to declare war on the EU too since they rigged our election by saying they don't like Trump.

Certainly the British parliament having a conniption fit about banning Trump from entering their country was not an attempt to virtue signal to Americans and shame voting for him!

11 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

I don't think it was deceptively edited. The person who put it up probably doesn't understand Melania wanting to be there means it was important to her that she came.

You know, I find that really heartwarming. I'm so inherently biased against Trump I didn't even consider that as an option. Feels good man.

20 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

You know, I find that really heartwarming. I'm so inherently biased against Trump I didn't even consider that as an option. Feels good man.

You spent time so much looking at the fake news in others....that you didn't see the fake news in yourself.

#PraiseJesus

The double standard I speak of.

NFL Threatens Fines Against Players Who Wanted to Commemorate 9/11

In September 2016, three NFL players planned to wear cleats in honor of the 15th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on America. The NFL put a stop to it with threats of fines.

NFL Fines Player over Headband

In 1986, an NFL player was fined $5,000 for wearing a headband with a company logo on it.

NFL Fines Player over Breast Cancer Advocacy

In 2015, the NFL fined a player $5,757 for wearing eye black that read “Find the Cure” in support of breast cancer awareness.

NFL Orders Players Not to Honor Fallen Police Officers

In July 2016, in honor of five police officer murdered in cold blood by a Black Lives Matter activist, the Dallas Cowboys wanted to honor the slain officers with a small helmet decal. The NFL put a stop to it.

NFL Fines Player for “Thrusting”

Just last year, NFL player Antonio Brown was fined $23,309 for expressing himself on the field by “thrusting.”

NFL Fines Player for “Hopping”

Just last year, NFL player Trai Turner was fined $9,115 for expressing himself on the field by hopping.

NFL Players Fined for Mimicking the Taking of a Photograph

Just last year, NFL players Victor Cruz and Odell Beckham were each fined $12,145 for expressing themselves on the field by mimicking the taking of a photograph.

NFL Fines Player for Marching in Place

Just last year, NFL player Terrelle Pryor was fined $9,115 for expressing himself on the field by marching in place.

NFL Fines Player Over Raising Awareness for Domestic Violence

In 2015, NFL player William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats meant to raise awareness for domestic abuse.

8 minutes ago, Donward said:

Shocking. Middle and working class Americans don't like being lectured to by millionaire athletes, billionaire owners and multi billion dollar corporations.

People want to watch football, not have politics shoved down their throats. The advice that I've gotten for business is to remain as apolitical as possible. Even in the firearms industry, you really need to keep it in check. Not everyone is going to think what you think, and if you aren't a political commentator, people probably aren't coming to you for political commentary.

I think I understand Trump's Twitter offense strategy.  It's fairly simple.

Step 1:  Identify a position that's actually fairly un-controversial, and say it in the most Trump-like way on Twitter.  Like, say, "Kim Jong Un is low energy!  He is a terrible despot and his people starve!  Many such cases!  Sad!"

Step 2:  Indulge in maniacal laughter as contrarians come out of the woodwork to say that, no, North Korea is actually just fine!

And yes, I am aware that Linda Sarsour is a special kind of idiot, and not representative at all of the people who for various reasons oppose Trump and his policies.  That fact acts in Trump's favor, because Linda Sarsour is a very loud idiot who craves attention.  Linda Sarsour (and other loud idiots) taking a stand against Trump is wonderful PR for Trump.  And all he needs to do to get it is warm up his texting thumbs each morning.

The left in this country is so magical.

So, I drive for my day job, and I listen to AM radio because I get tired of listening to the same four songs on the FM dial. Sean Hannity had a right wing and left wing commentator on his show to discuss the whole thing over the weekend with football add Trump, etc. I was mildly paying attention to it, but then I heard the most magical thing. Here is the summary:

Right wing guy: "Racism is prejudice against people because of their race."

Left wing guy: "That it's ridiculous! The KKK member waking down the street with his white hat on and no two cents to rub together CAN'T be a racist because he can't effect his prejudiced on anyone."

KKK member can't be racist.......

Does the KKK have any political pull these days outside of Democrat politicians that are closet KKK members or sympathisers?

If they don't, then by this guy's idea of racism, Neo-Nazis and the KKK can't be racists because they aren't in a political position to institute their ideology. I can into critical thinking, no really.

However, after listening to that unintentional comedy sketch, I finally realized why the left calls Trump a racist. He is White, therefore he has white privilege. He is rich, too, so he is disconnected from everyday Americans. Because of this, he views the world in a way that is detrimental to people not like him, and he is in a position to enact his world view, thus he is a racist.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them."

Sadly, he wasn't even ideologically consistent. He denied that all white people are racists, but based on the logic of "racism = prejudice + power" all white people are racists. Intersectionalism says that white males can't understand the suffering that they bring to non whites and non males, and they hold the most political power in this country. Since they do not understand their privilege, they continue to introduce, enforce, and maintain social structures that oppress non whites, even if it is done so unintentionally.

Can I get my degree in gender and racial studies now?