Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

On 28.9.2017 at 4:11 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Having said that, allegedly you are building a new deep space-station together.....The mind boggles. 

It's actually supposed to be a CIS-Lunar space station, meaning a space station orbiting the moon. 

On that matter, would the people here be interested in starting a thread about colonizing the solar system, focusing the most on the moon and mars? 

20 minutes ago, Xoon said:

On that matter, would the people here be interested in starting a thread about colonizing the solar system, focusing the most on the moon and mars? 

I believe we have a space exploration thread, but I am not against a threat dedicated to colonization specifically.

On 9/29/2017 at 7:22 AM, Sturgeon said:

As a certain bloke on a certain range pointed out to me recently, back before Brexit, EU advocates would never talk about an "EU army" or "the United States of EU" in English. They would always deny it, when speaking to that audience. Meanwhile, they would speak freely of such things in French, German, and Dutch.

Now, since Brexit, they don't try to hide it at all.

Mind you, this certain bloke is multilingual, and speaks, reads, and writes all four languages.

Before brexit, the UK could veto whatever we damn well pleased. After brexit, we have to put up with whatever the EU decides to do.

So before brexit, any EU army would have to be sold to the UK before it could recieve funding or anything.

3 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I'm curious as to what my Yankee friends think about Mr. Trumps efforts on this.

I think there is a mountain of supplies sitting in Puerto Rican ports and it is not being distributed properly because of the mayor of San Juan and the local trucker union.

CNN is doing it's part to turn it into an anti-Trump event because you can never let a pile of bodies go to waste.

1 minute ago, Ramlaen said:

I think there is a mountain of supplies sitting in Puerto Rican ports and it is not being distributed because of the mayor of San Juan and the local trucker union.

CNN is doing it's part to turn it into an anti-Trump event because you can never let a pile of bodies go to waste.

You have the US Army/Navy/Marines there... why is that an issue? Not to be harsh, don't fix bayonets or anything but.

Oh, and the Chair Force will be there too. 

Just fucking FIX IT.  You are the US of A. Get it fucking done.

13 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

You have the US Army there... why is that an issue? Not to be harsh, don't fix bayonets or anything but.

They are busy fixing the roads, power lines, water purification, airports, cell towers, harbors etc.

Normally you would think the local truckers could handle driving the containers inland, but apparently only 20% or so are showing up for work.

I also read (not confirmed) that 50% of the local National Guard didn't show when called up.

2 hours ago, Belesarius said:

I'm curious as to what my Yankee friends think about Mr. Trumps efforts on this.

If the system is working correctly, the president shouldn't be doing anything whatsoever.  Or, to put it another way, the president's job in an emergency is to make sure that the supplies, supply lines, and administrative officials in charge of supplying aid are in place.  Several months before the emergency actually occurs.

7 hours ago, Belesarius said:

You have the US Army/Navy/Marines there... why is that an issue? Not to be harsh, don't fix bayonets or anything but.

Oh, and the Chair Force will be there too. 

Just fucking FIX IT.  You are the US of A. Get it fucking done.

You know if we had the military strongarm the Puerto Rican government, that would make things a lot easier.

It would also make the US a dictatorship, which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but...

And for the record, here are Trumps twits:

Xu6ow0D.png

Pretty clear he's saying the Puerto Rican leadership is fucked, and not talking about the people living there.

Perhaps this is better served for another thread but what this Puerto Rico thing should serve to do is act as a warning to folks to actually prepare for an emergency. And I'm not talking Doomsday Prepper stuff. It's not that hard to have 30 days of food on hand. 7 days of water. A way to filter water with a $20 Lifestraw. 5 gallons of gas in the garage. 

Fixing Puerto Rico is some next level stuff, and it comes on the heels of two other major hurricanes that hit major population centers. Restoring an entire island with +3 million people that had had over 90% of it's electrical grid destroyed and many roads rendered impassable is a Herculean effort. Naturally, when this disaster takes time to recover from, anti-Trump news agencies will be down there filming any human suffering they can find, and putting it on the air to show that Trump is evil and malicious.

I'm curious if we have reached critical mass yet where this kind of stunt only hurts the people trying to pull it. We saw the person it Texas ripping CNN a new asshole for going around stuffing cameras in people's faces after having lost everything. We have seen the pictures of a dozen "journalists" crowded around a single trash fire. This kind of propaganda is likely going to serve to only further isolate the viewership, instead of converting more people to their side.

Colli is right, CNN needs to be rabidly anti-Trump, otherwise they will lose their audience. However, being anti-Trump will only destroy you in the long run. Every time the dust settles, you see Trump stepping over the piles of slain enemies as he marches on towards his objectives.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/response-to-puerto-rico-pales-next-to-haiti-actions-1.490502#.WdGMo53D9Fp

""I think it's a fair ask why we're not seeing a similar command and response," said retired Lt. Gen. P.K. "Ken" Keen, the three-star general who commanded the U.S. military effort in Haiti, where 200,000 people died by some estimates. "The morning after, the president said we were going to respond in Port-au-Prince . . . robustly and immediately, and that gave the whole government clarity of purpose."

3 minutes ago, Ulric said:

From what I've gathered, any sub par effort in the disaster response in Puerto Rico is because the territorial government is corrupt and inept.

As a pretty hard core leftist, I am not in disagreement.

The military aid distributed is what has been asked for under US law, from what I can find. Not sure if Puerto Rico being a Territory rather than a state fucks with beaurcratic response times, but it shouldn't...