Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

40 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I would hardly call the Mueller probe partisan.  Anyhow:

Rod Rosenstein - Republican

Bob Mueller - Republican

James Comey - Republican

The Trump team pulled some shady ass crap during the election (as many candidates do) and did a really poor job of concealing it.  Then, Trump shit all over the intelligence community.  So yeah, they kinda have a beef with him right now, and they are not going to let it go.  

“Being dirty cops is okay because you got called out for being dirty cops. Also fuck Drumph!”

29 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I did not know that Chuck Grassley and Lindsay Graham were Democrats! 

Here is a link to their document from Graham and Grassley requesting that  Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz investigate the FISC applications for "a certain person", which led to the March 28 announcement you posted. 

https://oig.justice.gov/press/2017/2017-01-12.pdf

https://oig.justice.gov/press/2017/2017-12-02.pdf

Meanwhile, the Democrats called this investigation a sham.  Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement it was “a shame that the Inspector General has to devote resources to investigate a conspiracy theory as fact-free, openly political, and thoroughly debunked as the President’s so-called ‘FISA abuse.’ ”  So no, I don't think you can pin this on the Dems.

Does it really surprise you that Dem leadership is unhappy that their efforts to undermine the sitting POTUS has blown up in their face?

It's blown up in their face?  That's odd.  I don't remember it being the Democrats who appointed Mueller.  That happened after the president fired the director of the FBI, and then admitted on fucking national TV that he did it in order to obstruct an ongoing investigation.  Seriously, that fucking happened!  So, the Justice Department, not Democrats, appointed a well respected former FBI head (and republican) Bob Mueller to investigate.  This is not a partisan issue, its an issue of national security and potential crimes as the highest level.  Sure, the Democrats have been trying to score political points off of it. The Republicans are trying to smear the investigation any way they can, so they can shore up the sinking ship that is the Trump presidency.  But please, don't ask me to believe that Trump is an pure as the freshly fallen snow and that all the people investigating him are "dirty cops."  That's just asinine.  

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

That happened after the president fired the director of the FBI, and then admitted on fucking national TV that he did it in order to obstruct an ongoing investigation.  Seriously, that fucking happened!

Are you talking about the Lester Holt interview where ‘Democrats are using Russia as an excuse for losing the election’ got turned into ‘I fired Comey so he couldn’t investigate me’?

18 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

Are you talking about the Lester Holt interview where ‘Democrats are using Russia as an excuse for losing the election’ got turned into ‘I fired Comey so he couldn’t investigate me’?

“And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said: ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won.’”

Yes, that sounds to me like he is saying he fired Comey of his handling of the Russia investigation.

4 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

“And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said: ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won.’”

Yes, that sounds to me like he is saying he fired Comey of his handling of the Russia investigation.

You are insane (technical definition) if you think accusing Democrats of creating the ‘Russia thing’ as an excuse for losing the election is saying he fired Comey for his handling of the Russia investigation.

Furthermore ‘handling of the Russia investigation’ is backpedaling from ‘obstruction of justice’.

I know that figuring out Trumps twisted and garbled syntax can be difficult, but he is saying that when he fired Comey, he was thinking about the Russian investigation.  Seems pretty clear to me, and rather odd considering that the reason for Comey's termination according to the Justice Dept was for his handling of the Hillary Email affair.  

And I didn't backpedal on shit.  I said Trump fired Comey because of his handling of the Russia investigation.  The primary issue being that Comey continued to let it happen and didn't bow down to King Trump and swear personal fealty.  That was Trump"s reason.  Obstruction of Justice is the crime.  That's the crime Trump may have committed.  I was talking about two different things.

Also, I can assure you that I am quite sane.  I have the best sanity.  I have been told my sanity is YUGE!

5 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Since my wife worked for the USPS for a long time, we both pay particular attention to any news regarding the Post Office.  Apparently, our POTUS has no idea what the post office does.

I have stated my concerns with Amazon long before the Election. Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments, use our Postal System as their Delivery Boy (causing tremendous loss to the U.S.), and are putting many thousands of retailers out of business!   -  Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 

What?  Parcel delivery is currently the biggest money maker for USPS. Anyhow, it's their job to be the "delivery boy".  They deliver mail!  What the fuck is this guy talking about?  The part about taxes as putting retailers out of business is somewhat legit, although I think his criticism of Amazon has more to do with the fact that Amazon owner Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post than anything else.  Anyhow, Walmart already wiped out all the small mom and pop retailers, Amazon just delivered the coup de grace.

If amazon pays no taxes, doesn't that make them smart like trump?

7 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

You do realize the investigation is not just about Trump, right?

55 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

You do realize the investigation is not just about Trump, right?

You do realize the basis of the investigation is the allegation that Trump colluded with a foreign power to win a presidential election, right?

The sad part is Manafort might get away with the money laundering if he can argue that Mueller never had the authority to do investigations unrelated to the election.

11 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

You do realize the basis of the investigation is the allegation that Trump colluded with a foreign power to win a presidential election, right?

The sad part is Manafort might get away with the money laundering if he can argue that Mueller never had the authority to do investigations unrelated to the election.

Hell, if Ken Starr was allowed to investigate blowjobs, seems fair that Mueller gets a similar degree of latitude.  

So #NeverTrump Kevin "All Working Class Americans Should Just DIE Already" Williamson was fired by The Atlantic for holding the belief that all women who get an abortion should be hanged and for refusing to recant said belief after being given numerous attempts to do so by the magazine's editorial board.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/381823-the-atlantic-fires-conservative-writer-after-audio-reveals-he-called-for-death

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kevin-williamson-fired-atlantic_us_5ac66563e4b09d0a1191532b

This warms the cold, cold cockles of my heart considering what a miserable human being Williamson is, and how he actually worked to get Hillary Clinton elected in order to punish us Deplorables for not supporting his guy in the GOP primary.

6 hours ago, Donward said:

This warms the cold, cold cockles of my heart considering what a miserable human being Williamson is, and how he actually worked to get Hillary Clinton elected in order to punish us Deplorables for not supporting his guy in the GOP primary.

Yeah, I have to say I am definitely not a respecter of the fine fuck you then school of democracy.

Guess we were about due for another civil war

South Carolina Republicans Introduce Bill To Secede Over Gun Rights

Late this week, a group of Republican lawmakers in South Carolina introduced a bill that would allow the state to secede from the United States if the federal government violated the Second Amendment.

The measure, which was referred to the South Carolina State House Judiciary Committee on April 5, would open the possibility of the state seceding from the U.S. if the federal government began confiscating legally purchased firearms. The bill states:

Notwithstanding another provision of law, the General Assembly shall convene to consider whether to secede from the United States based upon the federal government's unconstitutional violation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, if the federal government confiscates legally purchased firearms in this State."

The Hill reports that the bill was "introduced by GOP Reps. Mike Pitts, Jonathon Hill and Ashley Trantham, comes amid an intense debate over the nation's gun laws that was reignited in February after a deadly mass shooting in Parkland, Fla."

The Hill noted that South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union in 1860 during the time leading up to the American Civil War.

Hey South Carolina Republicans. I know you want to act hard like you're the baddest protectors of the Second Amendment around. How about doing something useful like electing someone other than Lindsay Graham as a US Senator?