Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

1 minute ago, Ramlaen said:

I wouldn't be surprized if this was true and was the norm.

It certainly does raise some questions as to why Kennedy would bother to do this.  Perhaps he thinks Kavanaugh will continue his tradition of being the SCOTUS swing vote?  Perhaps he didn't trust Trump to nominate someone he thought would be qualified so he decided to work out a deal?  Or maybe Kennedy owes Kavanaugh a big favor?  Or the story could be bunk for all we know.  

49 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

It certainly does raise some questions as to why Kennedy would bother to do this.  Perhaps he thinks Kavanaugh will continue his tradition of being the SCOTUS swing vote?  Perhaps he didn't trust Trump to nominate someone he thought would be qualified so he decided to work out a deal?  Or maybe Kennedy owes Kavanaugh a big favor?  Or the story could be bunk for all we know.  

Sounds like it was fake news.

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

On a totally different note, it really annoys me how Chuck Schumer keeps his reading glasses on his face all the time, half way down his nose.  I don't know why, but it does.

C3heIXpWEAApBCW.jpg

DC theatrics. He does it take make himself look smarter. Holding a pen has a similar effect.

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

It will be interesting to see how the evangelical base reacts if Roe vs Wade is not overturned in a couple years now that they have the court they wanted.  As far as I can tell, many of them were willing to overlook Trump's lack of propriety in order to get a conservative court.  

Most people on the right these days don't give a shit about Roe V Wade, and at best, all they could do is get it put back down to a state level, where 48 or 49 states would still have Abortion freely available. No, conservatives want control of the supreme court because of the lefts rabid anti-gun stance. Keeping Freedom of speech Free is another big one. 

26 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Most people on the right these days don't give a shit about Roe V Wade, and at best, all they could do is get it put back down to a state level, where 48 or 49 states would still have Abortion freely available. No, conservatives want control of the supreme court because of the lefts rabid anti-gun stance. Keeping Freedom of speech Free is another big one. 

I think you very much misunderstand the religious right.

Speaking of 2nd Amendment, Cody Wilson finished his suit against the State Department for the right to publish the design plans for 3D printing or milling major components or complete sets of his open-source firearm designs under 1st Amendment protections

Moreover, in the settlement, "the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military," notes a press release from the Second Amendment Foundation. In other words, the handful of liberal states that currently ban "assault weapons" like the AR-15, such as New York state via the SAFE Act, could potentially face legal challenges.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That was a bit disappointing.  :(

But all in all I think it went about as well as could be expected.....He got to drink tea with the queen, what more could he want?  :rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/988485/the-queen-donald-trump-uk-visit-protests-windsor-castle-royal-news

Fuck yeah, I’d have tea with the queen, too. I don’t have many clothes that would be “presentable”, but still, that would be a hell of a conversation starter :D