Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

The architect of the bin Laden raid is struggling in his new job: Running the University of Texas

https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-military-hero-mcraven-having-trouble-as-texas-chancellor-2017-6

McRaven wasted no time diving into politically charged issues such as concealed handguns on campus (he was against) and keeping a state law that allows immigrants in the country illegally to pay cheaper, in-state tuition (he was in favor).

But McRaven's troubles began when he sidestepped the governor and the Legislature to move forward with a bold plan to build a data center in Houston.

To some, it seemed a natural fit for a large university system to have a presence in the nation's fourth-largest city. But it was also seen as a territorial invasion launched without informing legislators and a threat to the University of Houston, which is striving to become a major research institution.

Tensions over the Houston move bubbled for more than a year, and lawmakers pounced during a January budget hearing when John Whitmire, a Houston Democrat, told McRaven in a testy exchange, "I don't think you give a damn what the Legislature thinks."

So he's anti-gun, pro-illegal immigrant, and he's thwarting elected authority in Texas.

Yeah. This is my shocked face that he is anti-Trump.

2 minutes ago, Donward said:

The architect of the bin Laden raid is struggling in his new job: Running the University of Texas

https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-military-hero-mcraven-having-trouble-as-texas-chancellor-2017-6

McRaven wasted no time diving into politically charged issues such as concealed handguns on campus (he was against) and keeping a state law that allows immigrants in the country illegally to pay cheaper, in-state tuition (he was in favor).

But McRaven's troubles began when he sidestepped the governor and the Legislature to move forward with a bold plan to build a data center in Houston.

To some, it seemed a natural fit for a large university system to have a presence in the nation's fourth-largest city. But it was also seen as a territorial invasion launched without informing legislators and a threat to the University of Houston, which is striving to become a major research institution.

Tensions over the Houston move bubbled for more than a year, and lawmakers pounced during a January budget hearing when John Whitmire, a Houston Democrat, told McRaven in a testy exchange, "I don't think you give a damn what the Legislature thinks."

So he's anti-gun, pro-illegal immigrant, and he's thwarting elected authority in Texas.

And what, pray tell, does any of this have to do with his opinion over former CIA director Brennan having his security clearance revoked?  Bolded text that a Democrat scolded him does not indicate to me that he has a secret anti-Trump agenda.  

Meanwhile, the Pentagon has delayed Trump's military parade to next year.  Liberal snowflake organization the American Legion commented:

"The American Legion appreciates that our President wants to show in a dramatic fashion our nation's support for our troops,"  "However, until such time as we can celebrate victory in the War on Terrorism and bring our military home, we think the parade money would be better spent fully funding the Department of Veteran Affairs and giving our troops and their families the best care possible."

8 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

And what, pray tell, does any of this have to do with his opinion over former CIA director Brennan having his security clearance revoked?  Bolded text that a Democrat scolded him does not indicate to me that he has a secret anti-Trump agenda.  

The story I linked was an Associated Press story regarding his job at the University of Texas. If I'm supposed to just blandly accept that "Hero UBL Killin' Admiral" is upset that Trump is exercising his constitutionally mandated powers as chief executive, I'm going to darn well look up "Hero UBL Killin' Admiral's" record at his day job.

Which is unimpressive at first glance.

3 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Meanwhile, the Pentagon has delayed Trump's military parade to next year.  Liberal snowflake organization the American Legion commented:

"The American Legion appreciates that our President wants to show in a dramatic fashion our nation's support for our troops,"  "However, until such time as we can celebrate victory in the War on Terrorism and bring our military home, we think the parade money would be better spent fully funding the Department of Veteran Affairs and giving our troops and their families the best care possible."

Yeah, ignore that Trump has done more to fix the VA than the past two presidents, not that it's fixed but at least he's trying.  Obama ignored the problem, but of course, back then, most Democrats didn't give two shits about the VA or our Military. 

12 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

It's always interesting when the Senate passes something unanimously.  Usually it's something uncontroversial.  Such as declaring that a free press is not the enemy of the people.  I wonder why they had to reaffirm that basic American principle?  Weird.

https://www.schatz.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/FPR 08-15-18.pdf

Sure.

And it would be nice if we had a "free" press that was interested in the US Constitution and the sovereignty of the United States.

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

Edit: These 15 Billionaires own America's News media

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton/2016/06/01/these-15-billionaires-own-americas-news-media-companies/#18f1a1c6660a

2 hours ago, Donward said:

Weren't the SEALs who undertook the Bin Laden raid infamous for having picked up the habit of mutilating the bodies of the people they killed? Isn't that supposed to be one of the reasons why Bin Laden's corpse ended up being dumped at sea - because the bravos who killed him then spent a while using the corpse for target practice until it was unrecognisable.

Where is this guy's opinion on that?

7 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

It's always interesting when the Senate passes something unanimously.  Usually it's something uncontroversial.  Such as declaring that a free press is not the enemy of the people.  I wonder why they had to reaffirm that basic American principle?  Weird.

https://www.schatz.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/FPR 08-15-18.pdf

Because whenever Trump says "Fake News", these retards with no self awareness just act like he said "The Press".

Also, the vast majority of these frothing at the mouth advertisement platforms are doing nothing but damage to the country.

8 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I don't know about him, but there is this.

YVdZzir.jpg

Bc3ScSd.jpg

Brennan is a piece of shit and not worthy of defense because he says what you want to hear about Trump.

"Brennan may have started one of the most important political witch hunts in history based on not recognizing a joke — and I’m not even making that up, I feel fairly confident in saying that what I just said is literally true: that the head of the CIA has almost destroyed the United States because he didn’t understand that an obvious joke was a joke."

-Scott Adams, creator of "Dilbert."

In response to Brennan's op-ed.

2 hours ago, Lostwingman said:

Because whenever Trump says "Fake News", these retards with no self awareness just act like he said "The Press".

Also, the vast majority of these frothing at the mouth advertisement platforms are doing nothing but damage to the country.

The press thinks free press means free from criticism even though they suck at their jobs. The people's lack of respect for the press pre dates Trump.

35 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

"Brennan may have started one of the most important political witch hunts in history based on not recognizing a joke — and I’m not even making that up, I feel fairly confident in saying that what I just said is literally true: that the head of the CIA has almost destroyed the United States because he didn’t understand that an obvious joke was a joke."

Exactly.

Which leaves only two logical choices as to what is governing their behavior.

Either they are incompetent lacking the emotional intelligence to be able to recognize an obvious joke. In which case we don’t want them anywhere in the chain of command interpreting gathered intel which is all about gauging human emotions.

Or else they are deliberately misleading the American public by feigning outrage over a joke.

Incompetence or malevolence. Or both. Those are the only choices.

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Apparently Scott Adams doesn't know the difference between the CIA and the FBI.  

16 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

So something that has been common practice for decades is now suddenly a "pro-democrat" plot?  Ok.

Last time I checked, Americans elected a President to fix what has been “common practice for decades” in D.C. and the federal government.

3 minutes ago, Donward said:

Last time I checked, Americans elected a President to fix what has been “common practice for decades” in D.C. and the federal government.

That's not addressing what I said.  You are just deflecting now.  Anyhow, I don't seem to recall people chanting for changes in security clearances policy for retired intel officers at those Trump rallies in 2016.

Anyhow, the whole issue is garbage.  The entire point of allowing retired intel officers to keep their security clearance was as a convenience to current intel officers.  It didn't mean that retired officers could request classified information or anything like that.  All it meant, was that if the people currently holding a job in an intel office wanted to consult or get advice on something from the retired officer, they could do so without having to worry about breaking rules on sharing classified information.  Taking away the security clearance from Brennen doesn't really punish him in any meaningful sense, it's not like he could call the CIA and be like, give me all your steaming hot new classified info!"  It just means that if a current CIA officer wants to discuss something classified with Brennen, they can't.  So really, Trump is punishing the CIA, not Brennen.  As to Comey, he doesn't even have security clearance in the first place, so Trumps threat to repeal it is an empty threat. 

3 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

That's not addressing what I said.  You are just deflecting now.  

?

The President is exercising his exevutive powers as outlined by Article 2 of the Constitution. In fact the President would be derelict in his duty allowing these unelected bureaucrats to continue to hold - and profit - from their security clearances given the political environment where there is an open plot to overturn a legal US election and to thwart the will of the American public.